The huge bandaged eddie

Lenny and SMX are both correct.  They did not use it during the whirlwind "Ed Force One" leg of the tour, because it was too big to fit on the plane.  They only used it on the later legs of the tour, when the equipment traveled by bus.  So, when I saw them at the LA Forum, there was no giant mummy Eddie.  When they came back to California a few months later, they did have the giant mummy Eddie. 

Note:  It was not the same one used in 84/85, however.  I recall reading somewhere (perhaps Smallwood's tour diary) that they had to construct a new one, because the old one had been taken apart and either lost or tossed. 

It was the big backdrop Eddie that always comes out during Iron Maiden. The pyramid opened and Eddie popped out.

Perun said:
It was the big backdrop Eddie that always comes out during Iron Maiden. The pyramid opened and Eddie popped out.

Forgot to mention that.  So, lenny76, you aren't going blind, because it's not on the DVD.  The DVD contains only footage from the Ed Force One leg of the tour, in which the giant mummy Eddie did NOT come out during "Iron Maiden" at the end of the (pre-encore) set.  They only used it on later legs of the tour. 

That's one of the biggest letdowns of the DVD... They should have at least used footage from the second part of the tour, the giant Eddie was really spectacular and life-like, thanks to the lighting job. Much better than the '84-'85 version.

I see. Thanks!
I agree Gulranek. They really should have delayed the release of the dvd and included it.
Sadly I never got the chance to see them on this tour so the dvd is all I got.
Looks spectacular enough on Live after death, so if it was better than that...wow!

gulranek said:
That's one of the biggest letdowns of the DVD... They should have at least used footage from the second part of the tour, the giant Eddie was really spectacular and life-like, thanks to the lighting job. Much better than the '84-'85 version.

I'm glad they skipped the second part. We have so much footage and knowledge about the tours in Europe, but it was really a pleasure seeing the fans in South America, India et al, especially with so much detail. I think the film has no flaws at all.

Perun, I absolutely agree with what you said, I was merely referring to the Eddie-mummy during Iron Maiden - it should have been included in the dvd (using footage from the second part of the tour).

Back