The English Language in 24 Accents

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Thought some of you might like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

:bigsmile:

If I have to mention one, I only missed the New Zealand accent which is pretty specific. Did some of you see the extras on the Lord of the Rings DVD? Richard Taylor has a very thick accent.
He would say the following words, something like this: weapons -> wippons ; exit -> ixet

It was nice at first, but got really great after the first american accent.

The intro and outro are unneeded though.

Maybe indeed. But I can imagine that some people might feel offended or felt that they were made ridiculous. I thought it was a "just in case" explanation, done with much respect.

I thought it was already great before the American accent hehe. That Irish for example, hehe.

I'd say that I'm a 'standard american'. I don't have a southern drawl, or the italian accent. Just the normal mid-america.

The guy is pretty good with the standard US accent. Off a bit on the NY and Southern - but he said he got NY from mob movies and exaggerated the Southern, so that's why.

Actually, he's not that bad on the NY, but his voice is too high to pull it off. You need a deeper voice. Dice Clay is the gold standard for that accent.

Yes, that video I linked to has the famous Nursery Rhymes.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The guy is pretty good with the standard US accent. Off a bit on the NY and Southern - but he said he got NY from mob movies and exaggerated the Southern, so that's why.

Actually, he's not that bad on the NY, but his voice is too high to pull it off. You need a deeper voice. Dice Clay is the gold standard for that accent.

Yes, that video I linked to has the famous Nursery Rhymes.

When I think northernc accent, I think Robert DeNiro.  For southern I think Jeff Foxworthy.

He did pretty good with the Italian accent too... I've been told that my English sounds a bit American-like, but when I went to Amsterdam pretty much everybody could tell I was Italian LOL

The Southern American accent is not all THAT exaggerated.  I know people who actually talk like that... 

The New York accent is ridiculously off.  Nice use of the term "douchebag" though. 

Too bad he didn't try a Canadian accent.  It basically sounds like a "standard American" accent except they pronounce  certain words differently.  One time, when I was traveling in my youth, I met a group of girls.  They asked whether I could tell if they were American or Canadian.  I asked them to say the word "about".  When they pronounced it "ah-boot" I told them they were Canadian.  They were amazed I was able to tell their nationality based on one single word.  I was amazed that they were amazed by that.

cornfedhick said:
The Southern American accent is not all THAT exaggerated.  I know people who actually talk like that... 

The New York accent is ridiculously off.  Nice use of the term "douchebag" though. 

Too bad he didn't try a Canadian accent.  It basically sounds like a "standard American" accent except they pronounce  certain words differently.  One time, when I was traveling in my youth, I met a group of girls.  They asked whether I could tell if they were American or Canadian.  I asked them to say the word "about".  When they pronounced it "ah-boot" I told them they were Canadian.  They were amazed I was able to tell their nationality based on one single word.  I was amazed that they were amazed by that.

I know plenty of Americans from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Wyoming that say: "oot" for 'out" and "ah-boot" for "about" so... you got lucky...

LooseCannon said:
We say the word "about" like this:

ah-boat.

Not ah-boot.

It's somewhat of a trend to laugh at canadians in amarican shows, but I'm not sure how you'll react so I won't say anything.

LooseCannon said:
We say the word "about" like this:

ah-boat.

Not ah-boot.

Which is why people hear that I learned English in Canada.

Back