The current state of metal

A

Anonymous

You know what its like now. Mtv2 and kerrang, so called 'grudges' becomeing popular.

First of all, I would like to take a dig at slipknots lead singer, for only growling at the songs, having kids thinking its an art form when anyone inculiding me can do it. He ha a marrovls voice when not growling, also the instuments are superd

Next, linkin park for becoming a nu-metal boyband and bring metal into the main styem, which can be a good or bad thing acorrding to your views

Frankly, i have a popblem with this new wave of metal. But I must admit if it wasn't for that kerrand probly wouldn't havee been made. With out kreeng I wouldn't have ever heard run to the hills. With out hearing that I wouldn't have become an iron maiden [span style=\'color:blue\']f[span style=\'color:red\']r[span style=\'color:purple\']e[span style=\'color:eek:range\']a[span style=\'color:yellow\']k[/span][/span][/span][/span][/span]

Well I don't consider nu metal as METAL when its majorly influenced by RAP, with 9 band members............pants falling from ass ( showing Underware)................no quality what so ever, and American media is responsible for it. They don't have exposure to bands like Blind Guardian, Dark Tranquillity and so on. Their second best alternative = what they can buy at a bargain............ :ph34r:

I don't know

I like some rap, for instance oxide and netrino.

Franly, i think the main players in the state of metal to come are linkin park, korn and slipknot. Although Styem of a down has kind of sneaked in and there the ones i hope infulice the next wave of metal. Listen to ardiels, that has more in common with chirldren of a dammed than anything else.

It's not called \"nu-metal\", it's mallcore. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

NP: In Flames - Dead Eternity (One of their very finest)

There is a common misunderstanding that bands like KoRn, SlipKnot, Linkin Park, etc are heavy metal and they are not. Nu-metal doesn't have anything to do with heavy metal.
Mallcore is a crossover of hardcore, pop-punk, hip-hop and rap. The chugga-chugga riffs used by most nu-\"metal\" bands are hardcore riffs and nearly none of the nu-\"metal\" bands around show much of a metal influence.

As for the current state of metal, it is rising again. There is a general recruitment from the mallcore/punk scene and, especially in Europe, there is a current rise of new bands and increased popularity of \"old\" ones. Proof for this is that Nightwish' latest lies as number 22 on our (norwegian) hit lists at the moment.

[!--QuoteBegin-Darkark+Aug 15 2002, 06:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Darkark @ Aug 15 2002, 06:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't know

I like some rap, for instance oxide and netrino.

Franly, i think the main players in the state of metal to come are linkin park, korn and slipknot. Although Styem of a down has kind of sneaked in and there the ones i hope infulice the next wave of metal. Listen to ardiels, that has more in common with chirldren of a dammed than anything else.[/quote]
state = cheese when comes to heavy metal, apprently u have heart nothing.............while I respect your opinion on RAP and what not............please don't don't disrespect True Metal................really, it breaks my heart....... :reaper:

Frankly octain i don;t really care what there called. If Iron Maiden style of music became pop for some strange reson I'll still listen to them. And me thinking that korn slipknot and linkin park are metal kind of shows that teenages think that it is metal.

And helper, I think hevey metal is the best, or else i wouldn't be on an iron maiden fourm would i?

Beeing popular doesn't make a band pop music, if that was so, Judas Priest, Maiden, Sabbath and the lot would be pop.

Pop, rap, techno, metal, punk, jazz, etc are all different genres of music with their own ideologies, styles, chord progressions and structure.

As mentioned before, Linkin Park and Slipknot aren't metal as they are a hybrid of rap and hardcore (child of punk rock). They utilize hip-hop/tRiBaL breaks and beats and fuse them with hardcore chord progressions and lyrics and mild influence from Black Sabbath and stoner rock. (Which is not metal)

If you take Linkin Park/Slipknot/Korn and compare their sounds with Iron Maiden/Cannibal Corpse/Children Of Bodom you will see that the general sound of the nu-\"metal\" bands lie closer to a hip-hop/punk sound than to metal.

As for it beeing metal because teenagers think it is, I'm 16 and I say hell no it ain't. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

That wasm't my point

Lets say people CALLED iron maiden pop, would you listen to it?

And if you come to the U.K or amrica and ask any kid wearing a peice of clothing with korn/slipknot/linkn park what kind of music is it they'll say metal

I would listen to Iron Maiden no matter what they were labeled.

And honestly, I don't really care what american kids label Slipknot as most of the \"metalheads\" over there are ignorant whiggers and goths. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Hey! I'm a goth in tranning [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] At least im in the U.K not amrica home of \"We give you one dollar you give us ten\" loans.

I'm also kind of a metal head in tranning. You know when you've heard one band and you listen them all the time and are looking for something new. Thats me. Nopw im downloading cradle of flith-hallowed thy name to see what its like. Ive heard one overcradle of flith song. Her ghost in the fog. I find the music rillen, but the vocals crap.

I've also got a couple of mettacla songs now.

Do you know In Flames, Darkark? If not, make sure you download \"Gyroscope\" (Album version, not the live one) and \"Only For The Weak\" [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

and Food For the Gods
Episode 666
December flower.........
Cloud Connected [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

How could I forget December Flower? Argh! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Octiron+Aug 17 2002, 10:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Octiron @ Aug 17 2002, 10:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]How could I forget December Flower? Argh! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--][/quote]
best solo by IF

Rap is OK if it's done by the masters, like the political UK white rapper Jello Biafgara (He's been going since the mid 1980's, so Eminem wasn't the first white rapper), the US Ninja Tune star Roots Manuva, and a few others.

But on the whole, rap is rubbish (Eminem is one of the worst. He's only done one decent track and that's over played so I went off that) and it shouldn't be confused with metal at all. A lot of the bands now sound like The Beastie Boys, who were masters of rap. Now this is the standard metal lyric:

People in the house put them hands in the air
Cuz if you don't care, then we don't care
1 2 3 times two to the six
Jolts in for your fix with the Limp Bizkit mix
So where the fuck you at?
Punk, shut the fuck up
And back the fuck up
Throw your hands up

Move in, now move out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up
Tell me what you're gonna do now
Breath in, now breath out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up
Tell me what you're gonna do now

Commercial metal and most rap really annoys me, and it's a shame they're both merged, as it annoys me more.

It's not metal damnit! It's rapcore!!! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

As for metal lyrics, this is fucking metal: [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The sigh of summer upon my return
Fifteen alike since I was here
Bathed in deep fog, blurring my trail
Snuffing the first morning rays

Weary from what might have been ages
Still calm with my mind at peace
Would I prosper or fall, drain the past
The lapse of the moment took it's turn

I was foul and tainted, devoid of faith
Wearing my death-mask at birth
The hands of God, decrepit and thin
Cold caress and then nothing