THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 52:
Satyricon - Dominions Of Satyricon
Caligula's Horse - Graves

Savatage - Morphine Child (Nominated by @Black Wizard)
vs.
Tiles - Reasonable Doubt (Nominated by @MindRuler)

No contest here: Savatage. Yup, against my own nomination. I didn´t even know I nominated this Tiles song ´cos they have a lot more stronger ones than this. I´m not a big Poets&Madmen fan but Morphine Child is one hell of a song! It has everything I love about Savatage.

The originally posted link was unavailable for me, but the official one works:

“Morphine Child” started off with promise and was good overall, but a bit too Broadway showtuney for my taste. It didn’t drag, though, and it was never boring, and I enjoyed it for what it was.

I preferred the overall atmosphere of “Reasonable Doubt”, and it had some nice high points in the middle; but it also felt a little samey throughout, and most of the vocal melodies didn’t hook me much. The guitar solo toward the end was nice, though.

I don’t have particularly strong feelings either way on this one; but forced to choose, sorry @MindRuler, I think I’ll go with @Black Wizard ’s nominee here. Winner: Savatage

I like Outlaw Torn but Meat Loaf’s classic album opener is just one of the most incredible pieces of music ever performed. The intro alone makes me want to cry of sheer excitement. The brilliant guitar of Todd Rundgren, Meat’s unbelievable voice, and Jim Steinman’s prowess all comes together to craft the ultimate rock ‘n’ roll song, about a starry-eyed lover who just never saw the curve in the road. One of the most perfect pieces of music ever recorded.

“Bat Out Of Hell” is peppy and theatrical, but not really to my taste. It does go on quite the journey, though, and I never found it boring.

“The Outlaw Torn” has always bothered me, because it sounds like a pretty cool intro to a song that was drawn out way too long, and then fades out right when it’s getting interesting. It has a lot of good raw materials and some memorable sections, but it’s clearly lacking a bit in the songwriting department.

So the Meat Loaf track is certainly a better-written song, but if I’m honest with myself about which track I’d rather listen to again, I’d probably still opt for Metallica. I feel a little dirty about it, but sorry @Diesel 11 , I’m going to go for @KidInTheDark666 ’s presumed underdog nominee here. Winner: Metallica

I'm of a similar opinion. I'm aware BOOH has a lot more going for it in a lot of ways, but it still reminds me of light entertainment at a working men's club. I enjoy the Metallica experience a bit more.

“The Outlaw Torn” has always bothered me, because it sounds like a pretty cool intro to a song that was drawn out way too long, and then fades out right when it’s getting interesting.
The original version (see below) is longer, but they had to cut a little off the end to make it fit on a CD (that's why the CD length is at max). They should've just cut Poor Twisted Me, but oh well.

The original version (see below) is longer, but they had to cut a little off the end to make it fit on a CD
Interesting, thanks for the link. The restored ending isn’t much to get excited about, unfortunately, because it just kind of peters out — the point at which it faded out on the original CD was where things were just starting to take off with the soloing, making it seem like something cool was about to kick off. Oh well.

Interesting, thanks for the link. The restored ending isn’t much to get excited about, unfortunately, because it just kind of peters out — the point at which it faded out on the original CD was where things were just starting to take off with the soloing, making it seem like something cool was about to kick off. Oh well.
They were going to add an outro verse in quadruple time with bass solos, Hetfield rambling on about cowboys, and Kirk wailing without his wah, but Lars wouldn’t allow it.

Back