THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

You'd seriously pick Buckethead over Divine Wings?
Oops I meant round 71. I voted in 70 for the winning songs. Buckethead track is cool but I never got the big hype around it and it doesn’t really fit this game.

Went with Rush in both matches; Vanden Plas is super unmemorable and I can't stand Genesis. But I honestly couldn't care less about the Rush songs either...

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 72:
Vanden Plas - On My Way To Jerusalem
Genesis - Firth Of Fifth

Rush - La Villa Strangiato
Rush - Xanadu

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Nominated by @Magnus)
vs.
Opeth - Blackwater Park (Nominated by @The Flash)

King Crimson - The Court Of The Crimson King (Nominated by @The Flash)
vs.
Opeth - The Moor (Nominated by @Collin, @Midnight)

I have yet to be wowed by “Turn Loose the Swans”, even though many would call it the greatest death doom song ever. “Blackwater Park”, meanwhile, is literally perfect from start to finish and the only Opeth song that continues to rope me in again and again and again.

“Crimson King” is good and I could give it a pity vote, but “The Moor” is a killer opening to Still Life and its Iron Maiden-esque melodies and riffs are tight as fuck. The only issue with this album is that unlike “Blackwater Park”, Opeth don’t seem to write as consistently and self-contained as they probably should. A lot of those songs seem to just travel without a real destination. “Blackwater Park” is brilliant because even though it ends different to how it started, and it doesn’t really repeat too much, it still feels like one big song.

But it’s Opeth both times.

“Turn Loose The Swans” is fine for what it is. It has some cool parts, and its extreme vocals are less annoying than most, though it didn’t wow me in any way. “Blackwater Park” is musically a flat-out masterpiece, but with really hideous extreme vocals. Still, that’s more than enough to win this match easily. Sorry, @Magnus, but @The Flash ‘s nominee takes this one. Winner: Opeth - “Blackwater Park”

“The Court Of The Crimson King” is really strong all the way through and has a special otherworldly feel to it that I admire. “The Moor” has superb music and sounds great during the clean vocal sections, but the extreme vocals are, again, just awful, and hang on the track like a boat anchor for me. If the vocals had all been clean I would have certainly voted the other way, but sorry, Midnoghin, I have to go with @The Flash ‘s nominee once again. Winner: King Crimson - “The Court Of The Crimson King”

Shame that Starless was eliminated, I would have gone with it if it was in the second match. The Court of the Crimson King is a charming song, but I sometimes think it's too long.

Shame that Starless was eliminated, I would have gone with it if it was in the second match. The Court of the Crimson King is a charming song, but I sometimes think it's too long.

I admit that I also kinda think likewise. Thing is, it sounds too much like Epitaph and both tracks are really long, giving you this majestic, Mellotron-driven, tragic pomp on, like, half of the album.

Ouch. This is tough (and more so when I would happily have dumped both Rush and Genesis!)

I'm very fond of MDB, great mellow listening material for a rainy day spent indoors. That said, Blackwater Park is a very strong competitor, the whole song is just more cohesive. Court of King Crimson is a really nice composition, but still prefer the harder edge to The Moor.

Make mine a Double Opeth, ta.

Can't remember anymore why I nominated Turn Loose The Swans and not The Crown Of Sympathy, alas, but voting for it nevertheless obviously.
Also, O5 has got enough votes anyway; and one against and one for @The Flash nominations seems to balance the whole thing.

The posted link for “Domino” doesn’t work for me, so once again here’s an official one:

One Rode to Asa Bay is a really strong song with great blackened melodies, but Ghost Love Score is possibly the best song in the whole game.

Back