THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 69:
Pink Floyd - Dogs
Camel - Lady Fantasy
Iced Earth - Travel In Stygian
Metallica - The Outlaw Torn

Buckethead - Soothsayer (Nominated by @Dityn DJ James)
vs.
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (Nominated by @MrKnickerbocker, @Mosh, @Lampwick 43, @MindRuler)

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony (Nominated by @Black Wizard)
vs.
Queensrÿche - Suite Sister Mary (Nominated by @Collin)

2 absolute nobrainers this round.
I´m sure I nominated Suite Sister Mary too but that´s ages ago so I might have forgotten to add it on my list.

Last edited:
This Buckethead song is a cool jam with great clean and melodic parts and sweet solos, but less interesting rhythm work and not much of a songwriting arc. Meanwhile, this Symphony X song is much more impressive in terms of songwriting quality and range, though it does have a few weaker sections. Sorry, @Dityn DJ James, but in the end I have to go with MrWickerMoshRuler’s nominee here. Winner: Symphony X

This Avantasia song is decent, with nice solos but a disjointed chorus, and nothing particularly great on offer. Meanwhile, this Queensrÿche track is on a completely different level of songwriting, performance, and overall artistry. Sorry, @Black Wizard, but @Collin’s nominee takes this in a walk. Winner: Queensrÿche

Before I saw the songs in question, I was sure I would be voting for Avantasia over Queensryche any time of the day.

And yet, Suite Sister Mary - and the whole OM album - is Ryche actually getting it together and creating something spectacular, which they never hinted before or repeated after. On the contrary, Avantasia from the third album onwards is pretty hit or miss (nothing comes even close to The Metal Opera 1 and 2) and the whole Wicked Symphony album might be... the worst of them? Don't know, not sure, haven't even heard Moonflower Society yet, but I'll give it to Ryche here for once.

The first pair is ridiculously easy. Buckethead must be the single most overrated rock musician bar none. I often like his tone and I appreciate his diversity and I admit my dislike is also personal, philosophical and altogether curmudgeonly, but still, Symph X are one of my favourite bands in the whole prog metal subgenre, so although I have my reserves and criticisms (the structure of the track falls under the general "early prog metal epics" ailments, somewhat similar to A Change of Seasons, to be honest), it's still Divine Wings all the way.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of it, Divine Winds just has way more going on than Soothsayer.

Second pairing was much closer. I think Suite Sister is more consistent, but Wicked Symphony has a way catchier chorus and it's slightly better produced. So, despite Toby's vocals, it gets my vote :p

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 70:
Buckethead - Soothsayer
Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Queensrÿche - Suite Sister Mary

Dream Theater - Home (Nominated by @Black Wizard)
vs.
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (Nominated by @The Flash)

Dream Theater - Misunderstood (Nominated by @Saapanael)
vs.
Pink Floyd - Echoes (Nominated by @Brigantium)

The first round is a strong one for sure. The Porcupine Tree track is consistently interesting and well executed, but the Dream Theater track is a little bit deeper in terms of complexity, texture, and overall meaningfulness to me. Sorry, @The Flash, your nominee was worthy, but I have to go with @Black Wizard’s choice here. Winner: Dream Theater - “Scene Six: Home”

The second round is much easier. The Dream Theater song is interesting, while the Pink Floyd song is not. Sorry, @Brigantium, but I have to go with @Saapanael’s choice here. Winner: Dream Theater - “Misunderstood”

Not only do I have a Dream Theater bias, but Waters is an even shittier human being than it seemed in the past 45 years, so I'm not voting for Floyd on principle, even though the music sounds more of a group effort than their later albums from the 70s, well, still
"The music was written by the group, while Roger Waters' lyrics addressed themes of human communication and empathy, which he returned to in later work."

I'm not really feeling like using the death of the author right now. Fuck that wanker.

Also, Misunderstood is one of DT's most creative efforts. Really love the psychedelic, unhinged feel. Anybody who hates them for their "formula" should appreciate this one.

Overall a strong round for them - of the two central epics on SFAM, I might like Beyond This Life more than Home, musically and lyrically
("
Her ecstasy means so much to me
Even deceiving my own blood

Victoria watches and thoughtfully smiles
She's taking me to my home

Help, he's my brother, but I love her"

is an example of how clunky they can really be - this is almost the level of The Astonishing)

but the main Eastern riff is unbelievably catchy, there's some great wankery - although I've always thought the Zappaesque interlude from Beyond This Life would fit better here - and there's also the album title drop.

That's two votes for the 'Muricans.

Last edited:
Double DT for me, as well. No matter how much I listen I truly don't think I'll ever get Pink Floyd.

I actually really love Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, but Home is just a beast of a tune.

Reactions: Jer
Double DT for me too. Echoes would have a chance if it was an abbreviated 9 minute long version, but 23 minutes of it is too much.

Looking like another fast update here :D

“La Villa Strangiato” is an excellent instrumental that maybe revisits the “Powerhouse” theme a little too often, but is otherwise top notch. “On My Way To Jerusalem” is a little more uneven, but it also goes on a much richer and deeper musical journey and still has a number of really excellent parts. The Rush track may be the better and more cohesive song overall, but the Vanden Plas track is frankly a better epic. Sorry, @Midnight, and congratusorrylations @MindRuler, but I have to go with one of your nominees over the other. Winner: Vanden Plas

“Firth Of Fifth” is pretty good with lots of cool parts, but “Xanadu” is excellent from start to finish. Sorry, FludashMyGuide, but I have to go with Jogwidget’s nominee here. Winner: Rush - “Xanadu”

Back