THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Top 128, Round 56

Vote for your FAVORITE song:

• Atlantean Kodex - Sol Invictus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I'm really not into Meat Loaf's style of music. I don't even like The Outlaw Torn that much, but there's no doubt it's better in this match up.

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 54:
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Metallica - The Outlaw Torn

Ahab - Yet Another Raft Of The Medusa (Pollard's Weakness) (Nominated by @Diesel 11)
vs.
Insomnium - Lay Of The Autumn (Nominated by @Night Prowler)

Magnus

Pica Serdica
Harmless happy synthy droning stuff with vocals that will probably annoy @Jer vs. epic melancholic stuff with lots of ideas, and vocals that will probably annoy @Jer even more?
I am genuinely sorry brate NP but it's Diesel's nomination all the way this time.
And a long way it is indeed...

• Haha
Reactions: Jer

Brigantium

General of the Dark Army
Staff member
The actual raft of La Meduse incident was dramatically violent and gory af, not melancholic. :D I find it hard to absorb a very doomy take on this, having been listening to another faster song about the same subject recently. With lots of happy synthy stuff and vocals that would annoy Jer still further. In French.

Insomnium's offering is bordering on genre-formulaic, but I'll take it, thanks.

Jer

The dotage of a dotard
This Ahab song has a great atmospheric opening and builds up a cool epic doom vibe…and then the power belching begins. No sir, don’t like it. The clean vocals that follow work much better and remind me of a less refined take on the Fvneral Fvkk sound. At this point I’m about 2/3 of the way through the song and not too much has actually happened. The drunken frat boy burping returns, then the song stumbles into some more lively percussion and distant melodic vocals which are far more appealing. Some more instrumental meandering leads into a nice atmospheric outro. There were some cool parts here, but the song plodded on way too long for its actual musical content, and I obviously wasn’t on board for the extreme vocals.

This Insomnium song has a nice folk metal vibe, and while the extreme vocals predictably stink, they’re buried a bit in the mix and are toward the less awful end of the spectrum for me. The clean harmonized vocals that follow are far superior and actually fit the music, so it’s a shame that they couldn’t have just gone with that approach throughout. The Cookie Monster nonsense reasserts itself for the rest of the song, but if I do my best to ignore it and focus on the music, there’s a lot to like here — a nice softer interlude, some proggier bits, and some unexpected synths that work surprisingly well. The harmonized guitar outro is great too. The song is never boring, and if it weren’t for the silly and distracting extreme vocals I’d probably say it was great overall.

No contest here. Sorry, @Diesel 11, but @Night Prowler ‘s nominee takes this one easily. Winner: Insomnium