THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Oh “Ghost Love Score” 1000x. I like “In My Time of Dying”, but it doesn’t really tread much ground during its runtime. Even without Floor GLS is a perfect song with so many layers, magnificent performances, and one of the most powerful choruses ever. And with Floor you also get that incredible high note ending that no one can seem to get enough of. The choice is clear. “Kashmir” is the only great epic on PG anyway.

Aaaargh, why must I be forced to choose? I really love IMTOD, but I love GLS ever so slightly more (as sacrilegious as it feels to vote against Led Zep in anything)

“In My Time Of Dying” is fine, but nothing too special. The slow bluesy parts and the extended outro plod a bit, though the uptempo section in the middle is entirely serviceable. The song arguably stands out most for its obvious influence on other songs like AC/DC’s “Rock And Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution” and Danzig’s “Twist Of Cain”, among others.

“Ghost Love Score” is from the more pompous latter era of Nightwish, so I like it less than some of their earlier work; but the harmonized choral parts are great, as are many of the solo vocal parts. The instrumental parts are overly indulgent at times, but on the whole this track follows a more compelling through line in its songwriting than the Zeppelin track.

Sorry, @Midnight, but I have to go with MrWoogercocker 11’s nominee here. Winner: Nightwish

This pair demonstrates the difference between 'long' and 'epic' quite well, for me. Nothing particularly wrong with Zeppelin's song, but it nowhere near has the drama of Ghost Love Score. Putting the symphonic into, er, symphonic metal.

Incidentally I'm still giggling at Black Wizard's quip on the Hellfest chat feed during the Nightwish set the other week. In answer to the endless whinging about the current singer not matching the style of the original singer, he commented:: "Yea, they should never have got rid of Paul Di'Anno." Amused me, anyway.

Bored af by the Led Zep song. Doubt I will ever get into them. Nightwish on the other hand... Although I prefer the live versions with Floor, it's still way better than LZ.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 51:
Led Zeppelin - In My Time Of Dying
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

Caligula's Horse - Graves (Nominated by @Lampwick 43)
vs.
Satyricon - Dominions Of Satyricon (Nominated by @Magnus)

Oh yeah, this existed. I doubt I would nominate any of the songs that I did if the game were to start now. :D

Just not in the mood at all for proggy stuff at the minute, old school Satyricon all the way. Nice gritty dirty black metal sound and keeps the mood and flow up throughout, rather than bouncing off at tangents. I can lose myself in this.

Edit: somebody else, please vote

“Graves” is suitably epic and noodly, and goes on a great journey through light and shade that’s never boring. I especially liked the Gregorian chant section toward the middle and the sax solos toward the end. They do have some elements that are a bit twee, but they also stay challenging without ever devolving into masturbatory prog excess, which can be a hard line to walk. I’m definitely going to have to check out more from these guys.

“Dominions Of Satyricon” had my attention until the pot banging started, but I powered through that and enjoyed the brief piano accompaniment afterward; then the Gollum vocals kicked in and my brain checked out. I actually liked some of the permutations of the instrumental section that followed, even including the non-cut-time drumming, and the cackling about my precious was less annoying through the middle of the song. The last quarter of the track was more bad than good, though.

Sorry, @Magnus, but this is a clear win for @Lampwick 43’s nominee. Winner: Caligula’s Horse

I liked the Caligula's Horse song quite a bit, and I'm planning on checking out more by them. As for the Satyricon song? The album cover is the best part. I don't hate this or anything, as I often do like black metal elements peppered into my music here and there. But this is overpeppered.

“Dominions Of Satyricon” had my attention until the pot banging started, but I powered through that and enjoyed the brief piano accompaniment afterward; then the Gollum vocals kicked in and my brain checked out. I actually liked some of the permutations of the instrumental section that followed, even including the non-cut-time drumming, and the cackling about my precious was less annoying through the middle of the song. The last quarter of the track was more bad than good, though.
This is a nice summary.

Caligula's Horse, of course.

Graves is one of those songs that I somehow like more and more every single time I listen to it. Now it's to the point where the song is so good it's addicting. It's a perfect 10/10 for me.

I'm glad so many people are digging them. In Contact is the album that Graves is on, and is my favorite album from what I've heard. I'm also quite found of their most recent album, Rise Radiant. (This album just so happens to be my avatar. :p)

I liked the Petrucci-like lead guitar in the Caligula's Horse song, but everything else was kinda bland, especially the vocals. I prefer the latter era Satyricon. Tough choice, but went with the first song.

Back