THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Although The Light is a brilliant song with lots of variation and humour from Spock´s Beards debut (!) I voted for my own nominee. The live version of this song on Exit...Stage Left is incredible. One of the very best examples of how to build up a perfect climax. Finger licking good Lifeson solo too. So yes... La Villa Strangiato wins from Senor Valasco´s Tabasco.

Both songs are about the same for me. I like Rush more, but long instrumentals aren't really my thing as they are very hard to pull off properly (Stream of Consciousness being the exception). The Light is a bit too long, but the fact that it has vocals pushes it over the edge. I should check out more of Neil Morse's stuff, like his vocals.

Both songs are about the same for me. I like Rush more, but long instrumentals aren't really my thing as they are very hard to pull off properly (Stream of Consciousness being the exception). The Light is a bit too long, but the fact that it has vocals pushes it over the edge. I should check out more of Neil Morse's stuff, like his vocals.
I think I’ve given you recs before but let me know if you want more. The debut album The Light is a nice place to start.

You did and I started listening to some of it but I'm super lazy and just always go back to music I already heard a million times :D But I'll give it a better shot this year.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 46:
Spock's Beard - The Light
Rush - La Villa Strangiato

Enslaved - Vetrarnótt (Nominated by @Magnus)
vs.
Moonsorrow - Kuolleiden Maa (Nominated by @Perun)

This Enslaved song has terrible vocals as expected, though mercifully they’re used sparingly. The drumming is also mindless cut time dreck for the most part, though it commits the additional sin of not managing to keep time properly in the faster sections. (If you’re going to lapse into brain dead high speed pot banging, the least you can do is execute it with surgical precision.) There are about 4 cool musical themes spread across the roughly 10 minute track, with some nice harmonized riffs and mood-setting melodic choices, but there’s so much repetition and the transitions are so clunky that I can’t really compliment the songwriting. So, not completely without merit, but not good.

This Moonsorrow song also has expectedly terrible vocals, which unfortunately play a larger role in the track. The drumming is far better, though, mostly opting for endless double kick drumming, but doing us the courtesy of keeping time when the inevitable high speed cut time drumming shows up. The songwriting here is also far better, with a tangible melodic journey that doesn’t bore or jar until the needlessly drawn out mega-outro.

Not a fan of either track, but sorry, @Magnus, it’s an easy call for @Perun ’s nominee when forced to choose between the two. Winner: Moonsorrow

The Moonsorrow track actually feels epic. It hooked me immediately with a sense of scope and dynamics. Don't care for the vocals, but at least the music is enjoyable.

I don't like much of anything in the Enslaved song, but least of all the drums. A lot of noise.

I love Enslaved, but not a big fan of their early stuff. You can see glimpses of what they were gonna become though. Not really a big fan of Moonsorrow, but this song is more up my alley than the Enslaved song, and what MrK said, it feels more epic.

The music is great in this Genesis track, but I’m not as thrilled with the vocal parts. (I haven’t personally dug into Gabriel-era Genesis much, but I was surprised by how many of the vocals were by Phil Collins here.) The music was consistently interesting and flowed well, justifying the track’s length.

This Meat Loaf track is totally overwrought and cheesy, but that’s Meat Loaf for you. It’s really effective for what it is, though, and it certainly held my interest all the way through.

Sorry, WogasMyMidget, but in the end I think @The Dissident ’s nominee leaves more of an impression here. Winner: Meat Loaf

The first two minutes of “I’d Do Anything for Love” is one of the greatest sequences in the history of rock music. Glorious.

Up until now I'd always thought "I Would do Anything . . ." was like a 5 minute song. God damn it just went on and on.

Propping myself up here

Edit: @Night Prowler let the record state that I would've voted for Genesis (not that it makes any difference)

Back