THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

5ziI1ctX5ZIgUhMLDZgMrQ9_xDtS1xxNc26IOuQA4igA9RAhtKmAea3cOsHDIACKrISzdOP8T9gOuGtiuWLq-fx-Y-2OFUlhX1ua0fItuD8KJtoXqiPMzbD4G4mxPW5XnEt4rpbKMr6rHLc

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
Whatever complaints I have about the Genesis song (mostly about the dated production), at least it's a coherent song and not a 19 minute long guitar wanking session.

Pls get your votes in, I'll try to update more regularly now (I know I say this a lot, but really now :p).

Going against all my principles, Genesis. :D I'm not fond of noodling being passed off as a finished work.

Results of Round 44:
Genesis - Domino
Jan Akkerman - Fresh Air
Umm, last I saw Genesis was ahead 6-2. Did 5 more Akkerman votes show up in the final moments, or did you put one too many eggs on your pizza today…?

“Blind Faith” is a generally strong and well-constructed song, though it has a weak chorus. It’s also slightly bloated, as I caught myself checking the clock a couple of times while it played, though I can’t say it was ever boring.

“In The Name Of God” is more masturbatory than its opponent, but it’s also more consistently interesting, and it doesn’t have any sections as weak as the chorus of “Blind Faith”. It also seems to earn its length better, as I never did a time check despite its longer runtime.

Sorry, JudampMyWick 21.5, but I have to go with @KidInTheDark666 ’s nominee here. Winner: Dream Theater - “In The Name Of God”

Tough choice indeed. I was pretty convinced I'd go for Blind Faith, then couldn't bring myself to ditch ITNOG.

In the Name Of God has been one of my favorite songs for quite a long time now. It really has everything that you would like to have in a Dream Theater song. Awesome heavy riffs, great solos and unisons, fascinating lyrics, and an extremely versatile but often overlooked LaBrie performance.

Blind Faith on the other hand only earned my respect rather recently. Jordan's playing and the whole "And still life pushes on" verse give me goosebumps. It's a shame that I find that chorus really annoying.

Very tough choice, and I'll be happy no matter which song advances, but I have to go with Blind Faith, which is one of my absolute favorite DT songs.

I went with Blind Faith, as it just moves me more. I love both of these tracks, so this was difficult - but there's just more feeling in Blind Faith. The outro-chorus of ITNOG hits me in the feels, too, but it's a different kind of feels, a tragic feels. Blind Faith is a more uplifting song, at least musically. And as @KidInTheDark666 pointed out, the bridge section is beyond catchy.

Blind Faith is also a more original song, as it has a more classic prog sound when compared to the obviously Metallica-influenced riffs of ITNOG. Aside from the outro-chorus, ITNOG also features those unsettlingly creepy middle verses with the bass groove, and then slightly later the staccato bass groove under one of the solos. I really do love all of that!

When I opened this thread to see the round the first thing that popped into my head was the chorus to ITNOG, so I've gone with that one. I like both songs, but Blind Faith has never really stuck with me.

Neither song is great, neither song is bad. Mid-tier DT epics, if you ask me. In The Name Of God has a slightly better chorus (Blind Faith's backing vocals throw me off completely), so it gets my vote.

“La Villa Strangiato” is an excellent instrumental that maybe revisits the “Powerhouse” theme a little too often, but is otherwise pretty difficult to criticize. I already shared some thoughts on the song in my review of Hemispheres.

This song by Spock’s Beard is quite good and executed well, though rather than sounding like something unique it sounds like a patchwork pastiche of the big early prog rock bands, e.g. a Styx section followed by a Genesis section followed by a Beatles section, and so on.

Sorry, @Mosh, but this is an easy choice for MindnightRuler’s nominee. Winner: Rush

Back