THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

“The Poet and the Pendulum” is a truly fantastic song in every sense of the word. It packs together power, heaviness, darkness, light, tenderness, and a whole lot of emotion. Just terrific.

Avantasia beat “The Greatest Show on Earth” so they can eat shit.

Avantasia's song is so monotone. Drumming in particular is devoid of any imagination or energy. Same beat nearly the entire song. Can't believe Felix Bohnke is on the drums, sounds like a drum machine. I blame Tobi. Non-Tobi vocals are great, and the chorus is OK-ish, but it's not a good song.

Nightwish's song is way more energetic and just the chorus slays the entire Avantasia song. Cons are the stupid lyrics and narration and the fact that it's a few songs combined, but it's still enough to win this tie.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 34:
Avantasia - Let The Storm Descend Upon You
Nightwish - The Poet & The Pendulum

Asphyx - The Rack (Nominated by @Dityn DJ James)
vs.
Primordial - Last Call (Nominated by @Magnus)

This Asphyx song starts as plodding, simplistic doom, then morphs into lo-fi thrash with comically bad vocals. After a fair amount of meandering it lands in a more interesting extended outro groove. There are a handful of decent moments here, but most of the song is unmemorable to bad.

While I’m not fully on board with Primordial’s sound, they do a great job at setting an ambiance and delivering hypnotic rhythms that suck you into the song. This track goes on a memorable journey, and in the end it outclasses its competitor in pretty much every way, except for some of the riffage.

Sorry, @Dityn DJ James, but @Magnus ’s nominee takes this one in a walk. Winner: Primordial

I know I'm late but my vote would have been for Primordial. Both songs were solid, "The Rack" actually kept up interest quite well, but "Last Call" was a bit more interesting and I thought the vocalist was quite cool.

Primordial puzzle me a bit because the production sounds like what everyone* dislikes about black metal, and I find it a mismatch to their style. Going for Asphyx on the basis that The Rack seems more consistent to me and has more direction

*Well, those who dislike it

because the production sounds like what everyone* dislikes about black metal

As far as black metal production goes, at least it doesn't sound like ass, like the second-wave bands in general. Not that much of the garage charm, I mean. The guitars for example sound like guitars, not like an angle grinder.

Besides production, there's less "SAYTHAAAAAN" and less of them being teen edgelords (*cough, *cough WATAIN *cough) - though they do try to be edgy, I admit, furthermore there's no gargling shrieks and overall it's not only much more pleasant, but also aiming at an emotional purpose for the listener.

I know they are sometimes labeled as black metal/-ish inclining, but honestly, I don't see that all that much.

But I'm hardly a BM expert, nor do I wish to become one, so could you elaborate, mayhap?

Back