THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

I should like Asphyx more than I do, but I feel like this song misses that something. Probably catchiness. I like Van Drunen in Hail of Bullets so the vocals aren't the issue and the production is cool. I liked the outro riff the most.

Last Call is a classic. Top 5 Primordial song, if not the best one. I don't understand the production discussion; sounds super clear, no trace of BM garage production here.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 35:
Asphyx - The Rack
Primordial - Last Call

King Crimson - The Court Of The Crimson King (Nominated by @The Flash)
vs.
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (Nominated by @Lampwick 43)

Anesthetize is really great. It takes you on quite the journey. Also, fun fact for those who didn't know, the solo at the 4:03 mark is played by Alex Lifeson.

Well, this was a nice strong round.

This King Crimson song is haunting and piercing, and flows nicely through its first 7 minutes or so before closing with a couple of bizarre but fitting codas. Strong instrumentalism and songwriting, very memorable.

This Porcupine Tree song is longer, more layered, and more musically challenging. It’s got some really cool parts to it, but it also feels less cohesive than the King Crimson song.

If I were judging this purely on musicianship I think I would lean toward Porcupine Tree, but this King Crimson song has some kind of otherworldly special sauce to it that I can’t deny. Sorry, @Lampwick 43 — your nominee was worthy, but I have to go with @The Flash ’s choice here. Winner: King Crimson

I like the songs about the same, as Court is not one of the KC best songs in my book (which can actually be affected by the placement - after Schizoid Man and Epitaph which both are 10/10 tracks it kinda feels like retreading old ground at the end of the album) whereas Anesthetize is definitely one of the better PT songs, or at least, one of the PT songs I can remember.

So I threw in the historical importance and the fact they actually did this in nineteen-sixty-freakin'-nine and gave the vote to KC.

I'm starting to prepare the Greatest Metal Song Cup for 2022 and I'm curious what people think:

Same structure (just a glorified knockout tournament)
Or some sort of league/branch/division, perhaps based on metal genres? IE, a Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, etc etc etc, and maybe the top 8 or 16 or whatever all get dumped into a big league at the end?

That Porcupine Tree was overlong and over the place. There are some OK riffs and drum fills but it's all ruined by shit vocals and vocal lines, and total lack of direction in the song.

Court is a classic.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 36:
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
King Crimson - The Court Of The Crimson King

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Nominated by @Magnus)
vs.
Nocte Obducta - Winter: Dezembermond (Nominated by @Perun)

This My Dying Bride song is doom with extreme vocals, and these aren’t exactly two of my favorite things. That said, some of the slow guitar noodling was sort of interesting, and the extreme vocals leaned toward the less offensive end of the spectrum. Bonus points for the violin accompaniment and the clean vocal section. I’m not sure that it fully earned its runtime, but I wasn’t constantly checking the clock either.

This Nocte Obducta song has much more appealing guitar melodies and more life in the arrangement for sure — but it has extreme vocals throughout, and ones which are on the more annoying end of the spectrum than its competitor’s. Also, that black metal tinny/fuzzy guitar distortion effect coats the entire track in this bed of white noise which gets grating over time. I liked most of what was going on musically here, but the track was overly long, and the multi-minute ultra slow fade out at the end was kind of pointless.

Both tracks were of similar quality, but sorry @Magnus, I have to go with the stronger music and more interesting songwriting of @Perun ’s nominee here. Winner: Nocte Obducta

I liked Per's nomination, and I'd like to hear more from that band.
I have absolutely no idea why I nominated Turn Loose The Swans instead of The Crown of Sympathy which is my favourite song from that album.
It is what it is, yeah.

Back