THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Absolutely no contest. I guess there are some bands and songs I'd vote for over Opeth (and SL's not even my favourite album of theirs!), but certainly not Overkill.

Now, if we were talking about Blind Faith or Fall of the Peacemakers... but we're not.

:shred::shred::shred:OPETH!!! :shred: :shred: :shred:

FtPMG4u.jpg

Results of Round 32:
Overkill - Playing With Spiders / Skullkrusher
Opeth - The Moor

Rush - 2112 (Nominated by @The Dissident, @LooseCannon)
vs.
Rush - The Camera Eye (Nominated by @Saapanael)

For me these two tracks are of pretty similar quality, but strive for different things.

“2112” starts off strong through the Temples Of Syrinx section, then gets more meandering before pulling it together again toward the end. All of it is at least good, and most of it is great. It’s pretty cohesive too, but it definitely has higher and lower points.

“The Camera Eye” is less epic than “2112”, but more focused, and this gives it more consistent strength through the full length of the track. It’s also only half as long, so that makes the task a bit easier. Its ambitions may not be as grand, but its execution is consistently great.

Forced to choose, I guess I’ll say sorry, The Loosident, but I slightly prefer @Saapanael ’s nominee. Winner: Rush - “The Camera Eye”

First two parts of 2112 are better than The Camera Eye, but the rest of the song drags. The Camera Eye is way more consistent, and Geddy's vocals are better IMO.

Reactions: Jer
It took 34 rounds for one of my nominations to make an appearance. I don't remember half of what I submitted but this is a really good song. One of Nightwish's best.

I guess no #Blurred Lines here, amirite?

Anyway, I like Avantasia and wanted to support them, 'cause they're gonna lose this round hard. But honestly tPatP is just an awesome song, from the time Tuomas did do bloat, but still kept it together, so the songs felt massive, yet at least somewhat coherent anyway.

The Anette era was a beast, music-wise.

This Avantasia song is pretty well constructed except for chorus 1, which sounds like a D-list Journey wannabe. Sammet’s voice is also a bit weird, as usual, but this is generally a pretty strong song that earns its runtime.

This Nightwish song is gratuitously theatrical in a kind of offputting way, and the major sections of the song feel slapped together with mostly awkward transitions rather than connecting like parts of a cohesive whole. The singer’s voice is really thin compared to Tarja’s, the chorus meanders and doesn’t work well, and some of the lyrics and narration are really cringey. That said, there are some very nice passages in the song, especially the instrumental section that starts about halfway through, and the softer section toward the end. But this is a bit of a train wreck overall.

Sorry, @KidInTheDark666, but I have to go with @The Dissident ’s choice here. Winner: Avantasia

Back