THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Tough choice. Scarred is particularly notable for one of James's best vocal performances while Misunderstood is one of my DT favorites lyrically. I slightly prefer the underdog here but I won't get mad if Scarred wins either.

Misunderstood for me. And it's not just album bias.

That second half of the song is just ... intriguing. Something else. Goofing in the studio. Unique atmosphere and emotions. A different colour for the whole palette that is SDOIT. Love it, always have. Sure Blind Faith is again miles higher, but that doesn't really matter.

I've warmed up a bit towards Scarred over time, but I still can't help but feel it's a bit of a jumbled mess and on Awake itself there's much better stuff (the whole Mind Beside Itself suite, mainly). I understand the support it gets, but it's never been my cup of tea and combined with the hippie awkwardnes of Lifting Shadows and the sticky, moist, voyeuristic drone of Vest, it helps me turn off the album right after Lie rather often.

Misunderstood for me. And it's not just album bias.

That second half of the song is just ... intriguing. Something else. Goofing in the studio. Unique atmosphere and emotions. A different colour for the whole palette that is SDOIT. Love it, always have. Sure Blind Faith is again miles higher, but that doesn't really matter.
Yup, this is how I feel about a lot of SDOIT.

Sorry about that. I will start setting up calendar reminders for myself to update this regularly.

Anyway. Misunderstood is waaaaay better. Scarred has pre-food poisoning LaBrie but that's just about it's only advantage. Misunderstood has better buildup, cooler riffs and one of the best (and most interesting) Petrucci solos (recorded it, reversed it, then learned how to play the reversed version, then reversed it again and that's what ended up on the record in the end).

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 27:
Dream Theater - Scarred
Dream Theater - Misunderstood

DragonForce - The Edge Of The World (Nominated by @Night Prowler)
vs.
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (Nominated by @MrKnickerbocker, @Mosh, @Lampwick 43, @MindRuler)

Dragonforce is so cheesy, I never heard anything bar fire and flames from them, yet I was 105% sure what kind of a beat follows at 0:50. It doesn't hold a candlelight to the fantastic song that is Divine Wings.

This Dragonforce song is high quality power metal. Catchy, varied, generally well-performed. I could do without the screamy stuff in the middle, and a couple of riffs are lifted almost verbatim from Gamma Ray’s “Heading For Tomorrow” (which I nominated, and which the invisible hand already rejected from this game), and I’m not super thrilled with the singer and his weird LaBrie / Kiske / fake vibrato thing he’s got going on, but otherwise a solid thumbs up.

This Symphony X track is quite the journey, from the awesome church choir opening to the “Queen plays Holst” part and the recurring elements of “Mars, Bringer Of War” throughout. The structure is obviously way more complex than that of the Dragonforce song, with more variety, and for the most part each section is compelling and flows well into the next. You get the full range of Russell Allen here, from surprisingly soft and emotive to completely hammy and over the top. I can’t say I was in love with every part of the song, but can say I was in love with most of it.

A good showing from both contestants here, but sorry @Night Prowler, I think MindsterWickerMosher’s nominee is delivering on a fundamentally higher level. Winner: Symphony X

I listened to The Edge of the World, and it's a solid song. It's catchy and epic, and probably the best (and deepest) song I've heard Dragonforce do. I do not like their singer, although he's not awful or anything - I just don't like the quality of his voice. Not enough depth for me.

There's a tonality in the main "riff" that goes in an almost major direction that I didn't expect it to, which is cool. The clean section comes out of left field, and I like that. It has this ethereal quality about it. Very tasteful bass, and guitar as well. I once again must say that this song is as deep as the Mariana Trench compared to the typical tidal pools of Dragonforce I've heard in the past.

Oh boy, are those growls? Processed vocals? I don't think it fits here. I love the synth part that follows, though. The guitar solo that starts at 7:42 sounds like someone fired that gun from Ghostbusters. Hauntingly cool tone.

I was surprised by this tune, as I've only known the "making Mario coin sounds on guitar" Dragonforce. I don't think their singer has the voice to convey this song's emotion properly, though. I'm imaging Russell Allen singing this song and in that regard I'm loving it.

I honestly don't quite get the hype for The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. It's a cool song, but Symphony X has way better songs in their catalogue. Many cool parts, no great parts, and the buildup is all for nothing as the song just ends without some triumphant upbeat part, like for example The Odyssey.

The Edge Of The World on the other hand has all that, and is much more concise. I wish DragonForce continued on this darker path as they came back to their wanky video game shenanigans on the last album. But whoever doubted their quality should check out the albums The Power Within, Maximum Overload and Reaching Into Infinity. They have shorter songs, less wanking and much darker atmosphere than their previous stuff, and obviously better vocals.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 28:
DragonForce - The Edge Of The World
Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Bon Jovi - Dry County (Nominated by @The Dissident)
vs.
Golden Earring - The Vanilla Queen (Nominated by @Forostar)

Back