THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

ACOS was really cool on the Train of Thought tour too, shame they never recorded it officially, or released it at least.

Both of these songs have great moments but are way way way too long. This type of music without some mixing in some other genres just can't hold my attention for too long.

ACOS wins because Count has stupid lyrics.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 21:
Dream Theater - The Count Of Tuscany
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons

Camel - Lady Fantasy (Nominated by @The Flash)
vs.
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Sleepwalkers (Nominated by @Forostar)

Hadn’t heard of Camel before, and this song sounds like pretty typical late 60s / early 70s jammy prog rock. The vocals in the first half of the song feel a little amateurish, but they improve in the second half, as does the rest of the music. There’s a recurring theme in the middle of the song that sounds strikingly like a section of Rush’s “Temples Of Syrinx”, but the Camel song predates 2112 by a couple of years, so are these guys Rush’s Beckett...? :oops: Anyway, the song is pleasant enough, but didn’t wow me.

This Van Der Graaf Generator song is probably a little more interesting, but it also feels a lot less coherent, especially in the first half. I’m also not super thrilled with the higher-pitched horn sounds here. The song settles into more of a sexy groove for the second half, which is cool, though the vocals in this part have some weird out-of-sync layering and only half-melodic flavor that don’t work too well for me. So, an uneven song, but one with a number of good, or at least interesting, elements.

Neither of these songs made a major impression on me, but I think one was more consistently enjoyable. Sorry, @Forostar, but I have to go with @The Flash ’s nominee here. Winner: Camel

Guys, guys... The Count of Tuscany?! C'mon!!!
The laughs, the tears, my brutha, James is uptight, minutes of Petrucci/Rudess spotlight, that confrontation at the end?!
I thought bots weren't emotional, not you people...

Camel's song was catchier and heavier. Really liked the vocals too... Most prog rock bands of that era had whiny annoying vocals, so this was a pleasant surprise. Might check out the whole album.

VDGG was fine, but maybe a tad too weird for my taste. Also, I made my voting choice when the sax solo kicked in, that really put me off.

Get your votes in, updating tomorrow!

I’ve gotta vote for Camel, who have some nice scope despite some incredibly goofy tonalities and general video-gameyness.

VDGG was just...too goofy and too much for me.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 22:
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Sleepwalkers
Camel - Lady Fantasy

Melechesh - The Outsiders (Nominated by @Perun)
vs.
The Ocean - Devonian - Nascent (Nominated by @Night Prowler)

Some interesting stuff going on in Melechesh's The Outsiders but I feel the track overstays its welcome. While not blown away I found The Ocean's song more interesting.
Please don't take this as Palaeontology vs Middle East Studies bias @Perun .

This Melechesh song is surprisingly well-behaved blackened thrash(?) for most of its runtime, with good production and quality drumming until the children start hitting pots a little past the 10 minute mark. The vocals don’t bother me quite as much as most black metal because they sound like they’re heavily manipulated by effects rather than just being some dude trying to contort his voice to sound like Gollum. I like the middle eastern feel, too. Unfortunately the song doesn’t feel like it fully earns its length, as it doesn’t go to too many different places, but it’s still enjoyable and consistently kicks your ass.

This Ocean song is definitely constructed with more depth and finesse, and it has a more coherent arc. That said, it does get overly screamy in the second half, and it’s not as viscerally appealing to me as its competitor. But it does go on a meaningful journey and does earn its runtime.

Two flawed songs with cool elements. On paper I suppose I should be leaning toward The Ocean here, but if I’m honest with myself I think I would sooner listen to the Melechesh song again. So, sorry @Night Prowler, but I have to go with @Perun ’s nominee here. Winner: Melechesh

I like The Ocean's clean singing and emotion, but the whole thing is a bit too droning for me.

Melechesh have some amazing musical sections (especially the one halfway through), even if the vocals are not my thing.

I heard the album the Melechesh song is from a while ago, but this song didn't catch my attention. It's actually pretty cool, but maybe takes a while to get to the cool faster parts at the end. Production and riffs are great.

But I'm biased for my own nomination which is The Ocean. The album from which this song is is slowly becoming one of my favorite albums of all time. It's almost flawless.

Back