THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 19:
Primordial - As Rome Burns
Bathory - Twilight Of The Gods

Be'lakor - In Parting (Nominated by @Brigantium)
vs.
Lunar Aurora - Findling (Nominated by @Perun)

Easy vote for Be'lakor. I'm just getting into them and have liked almost all of their stuff thus far. While they're not on par with middle-era Opeth, they're scratching that itch pretty well. The ending of this song is very powerful; I love the last vocal moment and the creepy piano. Not my favorite epic of theirs, though - that goes to Sun's Delusion (which I hope was also nominated).

That Lunar Aurora song is not for me.

Every time I hear a Be’lakor song I wind up loving the music and the songwriting, but hating the vocals. This song is no different. The things they’re doing with melody and harmony with the guitars are awesome, and they apply everything with finesse through a nice musical journey. I really wish these guys had a melodic vocalist instead, but what are you gonna do.

This Lunar Aurora song has the bad production and cackly Gollum vocals you’d expect based on the cover art, but the first half of the song actually builds up a pretty nice atmosphere, minus the vocals. Unfortunately, most of the second half is rendered unlistenable by minutes upon minutes of cut-time drums, followed by whatever the hell you’d call the even busier drumming that follows it. To my ears, that style of drumming sounds like some child banging on pots just trying to make noise, and when it goes on for minutes on end I just tune out.

Sorry, @Perun, but this is an easy call for @Brigantium ’s nominee. Winner: Be’lakor

OK, so... Both songs are very enjoyable to listen. Be'lakor has many cool riffs on this song. Predominantly they sound like a less epic Insomnium, with some Dark Tranquillity-ish and early Katatonia-ish riffs, but devoid of all the vocal catchiness of those 3 bands. Be'lakor's vocalist is just way too one-dimensional and the unmemorable vocal lines aren't helping him at all. But it's just this song, and I think MrK or someone else said that this is from their worst album. So I'll give them another shot.

Lunar Aurora is slightly more original, with a kickass depressing af atmosphere and mad shrieking vocals. They are also totally uncatchy, even less than Be'lakor. Still, the atmosphere is better, and they will likely lose this one, so I gave them my vote.

Back