Testimonial And A Question

A

Anonymous

I didn't know where to put this topic so, here it goes. First a testimony...

I admit I am a black man from Chicago, IL who loves R&B, jazz, house music, hip hop and rap, but I do have a side of me that grew up on rock, classic rock and the like. A friend of mine tried to get me into Iron Maiden, I refused at first because of well some of the normal things you hear (They are Satanic, devil worshipers, etc), he tried to convince me that they were not (I found out Nicko, Dave and Bruce, from what I heard, are born again Christians). That's when my musical tastes added another flavor.

It was one day a radio station in Chicago plays "Number of The Beast," I told a friend of mine to change the station he said "No man, I love this song!" I look out of the window ignoring the song, but the lyrics of NOTB got my attention. I listened to the whole song, and as he was ready to change the station I stopped him, then they played "The Trooper." This big grin came across my face, and after the song was done he played all of his Iron Maiden CD's and I was just taken aback by the lyrics and moreso the music. He later explained to me that Maiden are not satanic or devil worshipers and all of their lyrics come from foklore, stories, and whatever else they can put their minds to.

I'm looking forward to my first Maiden concert whenever they come to Chicago again, and after what Sharon Osbourne did to them at Ozzfest, it made me more of a Maiden fan than ever. I've have a new respect for Bruce, Janick, Steve, Dave, Nicko and Adrian and one student who is a wrestler at the high school where I do the PA announcing has began using "Aces High" as his theme on my recommendation. So with this said I have a few questions:

1: What CD's would be good for a Maiden newbie to get started with?

2: What does Bruce say on "Live after Death" while introducing "The Trooper"?

3: This one is about Eddie. I saw a clip where the statue like Eddie rose up during "Iron Maiden" flireworks and all and then there is the Eddie, same one possibly, that is walking on stage (or as I like to call it, the one Janick always fights with). What song does that Eddie come out on?

[!--quoteo(post=129039:date=Feb 15 2006, 06:54 PM:name=BlackMaidenFan)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(BlackMaidenFan @ Feb 15 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]129039[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

3: This one is about Eddie. I saw a clip where the statue like Eddie rose up during "Iron Maiden" flireworks and all and then there is the Eddie, same one possibly, that is walking on stage (or as I like to call it, the one Janick always fights with). What song does that Eddie come out on?
[/quote]

1: Powerslave.

2: Bruce says: "Here is a song off the 'Piece of Mind' album. This song is called 'The Trooper'!"

3: Don't know, but I'm sure someone else on here does.

I think you should start out with Live After Death, which has most of the big hits from the first 5 Maiden albums. You also get to experience how great of a live band Maiden are.

If you want a broad selection of the best Maiden songs from a large portion of their career, start with "Best of the Beast". If you can't find that, "Live After Death" is a great choice.

If you want to listen to some normal studio albums (not compilations), then "The Number Of The Beast", "Piece Of Mind" and "Powerslave" are good albums. I'd also recommend "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" and "Brave New World".

The large "statue" of Eddie rises from behind the drum kit during the song "Iron Maiden". This statue changes from one tour to the next. The shorter Eddie who walks around on stage does so during various songs. The band usually chooses a long song for this purpose to give Eddie more time on stage, but this isn't a hard and fast rule.

[!--quoteo(post=129047:date=Feb 16 2006, 03:30 AM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Feb 16 2006, 03:30 AM) [snapback]129047[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you want a broad selection of the best Maiden songs from a large portion of their career, start with "Best of the Beast". If you can't find that, "Live After Death" is a great choice.

If you want to listen to some normal studio albums (not compilations), then "The Number Of The Beast", "Piece Of Mind" and "Powerslave" are good albums. I'd also recommend "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" and "Brave New World".

The large "statue" of Eddie rises from behind the drum kit during the song "Iron Maiden". This statue changes from one tour to the next. The shorter Eddie who walks around on stage does so during various songs. The band usually chooses a long song for this purpose to give Eddie more time on stage, but this isn't a hard and fast rule.
[/quote]

If you're thinking of the Rock in Rio Eddie suit, it's in "The Evil That Men Do". Course, it could have been a broadcast, in which case it could indeed be any song.

You can still get Best of the Beast outside of private sales???

[!--quoteo(post=129039:date=Feb 16 2006, 12:54 AM:name=BlackMaidenFan)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(BlackMaidenFan @ Feb 16 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]129039[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I am a black man from Chicago, IL who loves R&B, jazz, house music, hip hop and rap[/quote]
A Rap fan "converted" to Iron Maiden? Yay! Welcome aboard! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Oh, and don't eat or even breathe before you're got hold of Piece Of Mind or Powerslave, or both! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

If you like compilations, go for "Best Of The Beast" 2cd edition (I recomend the limited edition with the hardcase booklet from ebay, you won't be sorry).

If you prefer albums....

Iron Maiden: rough / edgy / punky

Killers: still rough but more midtempo songs and great production

Number of the beast: this is where everything took off. Great songs, great production, Bruce's debut

Piece Of Mind: quite similar to Number but a bit more intricate, with melodic passages and a fatter sound. just as good

Powerslave: razor sharp production. A couple of fillers. Fast songs and also their longest song ever in here.

Somewhere in time: they experiment with guitar and bass synths, smith takes over half of the credits so the songwriting differs a bit. An album of great quality that despite the synths doesn't sound 80's. This is the one to be listening to while on a long road to somewhere....

Seventh Son: Composition-wise, the top of their career. Fantastic compositions and instrumentation, great songs, great lyrics. Concept album. First time they use keyboards and they sweeten the sound alot.

No Prayer: Back to basics. Raw production, very few keyboards and few people like this album. Smith has left the band and Janick has entered. The lyrics become more 90's, dealing with nowadays issues.

Fear Of The Dark: I laways considered it Maiden's answer to Metallica's Black album. 12 songs to fit every taste, a ballad, an epic, a few rockers, a good production. Basically a great album to start off with imo because of it's straightfordwardness.

The X Factor: Exit Bruce, enter Blaze in the vocals department. Their Darkest album. If you like dark albums, you'll love this one. my favorite album. Deals mostly with inner strugle.

Virtual XI: An attempt to recapture the 80's sound but with a more progressive feel and Blaze singing. Their poorest album in my opinion, but still some compositions shine through.

Brave New World: Reunion, 3 guitars and Dickinson back on the vocals. Sounds like a better orchestrated and fuller sounding Virtual XI, with Bruce on vocals. Some people rave over it being fantastic, but I find it predictable and lacking a centerpoint song.

Dance Of Death: They got the 3 guitars line up to work here. A few fillers but some fantastic songs as well. better than BNW although with a muddier production. Has been made available as DVD-A

[!--quoteo(post=129054:date=Feb 16 2006, 03:00 AM:name=Silky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Feb 16 2006, 03:00 AM) [snapback]129054[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you're thinking of the Rock in Rio Eddie suit, it's in "The Evil That Men Do". Course, it could have been a broadcast, in which case it could indeed be any song.

You can still get Best of the Beast outside of private sales???
[/quote]
Perhaps I should clarify my statement. On the Brave New World tour, the walking Eddie always appeared during the song "The Evil That Men Do". On any given tour, the song for the walking Eddie's appearance never changes.

However, that song does change from one tour to the next. The only example I can recall specifically is that during Somewhere On Tour (1986-87), the walking Eddie appeared during "Heaven Can Wait". Though I've seen other Maiden shows, I don't recall the songs during which Eddie invaded the stage.

I bought my copy of Best of the Beast (1-CD version) around 2000, in a Tower Records store. I hadn't bothered to buy it until then because I had all the other albums, and I wasn't initially a fan of the song "Virus". However, that song grew on me and I decided to pick it up when I saw it in the store.

I think the 2-CD BotB is indeed out of print, and you may need Ebay or the like to find it. But my recommendation of BotB was based on the 1-CD version, which I feel is a perfect introduction to Maiden's music. 2-CD is great if you can get it, but 1-CD is not to be dismissed lightly.

[!--quoteo(post=129039:date=Feb 15 2006, 11:54 PM:name=BlackMaidenFan)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(BlackMaidenFan @ Feb 15 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]129039[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I didn't know where to put this topic so, here it goes. First a testimony...

...story....

...So with this said I have a few questions:

[/quote]

Welcome man! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

I like the story, how you got into them!

1.:

The nice thing about Maiden is that a lot of people have different favorite albums.

If I would be you, I would start with their golden era (1982-1988).

Try Powerslave (1984), Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988), Somewhere in Time (1986) and Piece of Mind (1983). I haven't met many people who dislike those records! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The Live After Death (1985) album is a legendary live album.

More recent albums to start with are imo Brave New World (2000) and Rock in Rio (2002), which is a live-recording from their biggest gig to date (around 200.000 people). This gig is even better on the same titled DVD!

Since you said you like the lyrics, definitely check out The Iron Maiden Commentary, where you find lots of (background) info. The most informative site about Maiden lyrics (and more).

go to: http://www.maidenfans.com/imc

Enjoy!

3.:

There are always 2 Eddies.
- "The walking one".: It differs per tour, when he comes on.
- "The one behind the drumkit" (no, not Nicko [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] ).: always during the song "Iron Maiden".

If you have any questions regarding the guitar solos, (e.g. who plays what) it's also on The Iron Maiden Commentary. Myself I am very interested in this subject, so I am always willing to talk about it. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129075:date=Feb 16 2006, 06:04 PM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Feb 16 2006, 06:04 PM) [snapback]129075[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Perhaps I should clarify my statement. On the Brave New World tour, the walking Eddie always appeared during the song "The Evil That Men Do". On any given tour, the song for the walking Eddie's appearance never changes.

However, that song does change from one tour to the next. The only example I can recall specifically is that during Somewhere On Tour (1986-87), the walking Eddie appeared during "Heaven Can Wait". Though I've seen other Maiden shows, I don't recall the songs during which Eddie invaded the stage.

I bought my copy of Best of the Beast (1-CD version) around 2000, in a Tower Records store. I hadn't bothered to buy it until then because I had all the other albums, and I wasn't initially a fan of the song "Virus". However, that song grew on me and I decided to pick it up when I saw it in the store.

I think the 2-CD BotB is indeed out of print, and you may need Ebay or the like to find it. But my recommendation of BotB was based on the 1-CD version, which I feel is a perfect introduction to Maiden's music. 2-CD is great if you can get it, but 1-CD is not to be dismissed lightly.
[/quote]

Yeh, my post was a little fuzzy as well. I was wondering what video he had seen it on. If it was Rock in Rio (which is most likely, as DotR hasn't been in mass circulation long enough and RiR was their first concert DVD), it would be tEtMD. I was wondering whether he saw RiR, or an older video like Maiden England or even a private broadcast of a show by a television company.

I've looked around on amazon and the like, but all the copies seem a bit expensive. If I have to pay 20 quid for a b-side, a booklet and the ability to have all my favourite Maiden tracks together, it's going to have to wait a while! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=130980:date=Mar 6 2006, 10:41 PM:name=fuzzboy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fuzzboy @ Mar 6 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]130980[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think that when they played rock in rio during 1985 there were more people. I heard there were about 500.000 people at the 1985 show. I may be wrong, because my source isn't a very reliable person, and the version i have of the 1985 show isn't very good quality.
[/quote]

I think your source is indeed not very reliable. Iron Maiden themselves have stated numerous times that the Rio 2001 concert was their biggest to date.

Maybe there were 500.000 people in 1985, but not one the day when Maiden played, there could be 500.000 people on the whole festival (2 or more days?). Who knows.

[!--quoteo(post=130980:date=Mar 6 2006, 10:41 PM:name=fuzzboy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fuzzboy @ Mar 6 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]130980[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think that when they played rock in rio during 1985 there were more people. I heard there were about 500.000 people at the 1985 show. I may be wrong, because my source isn't a very reliable person, and the version i have of the 1985 show isn't very good quality.
[/quote]

The attendance of the 1985 Rock In Rio festival was roughly the same as in 2001. It must also be noted that in 2001, Maiden were the headliners, while in 1985, the biggest band was Queen. So it is likely that in 1985, less people came to see Maiden than in 2001, even if the total attendance was the same.

It must also be noted that the 250,000 number is wrong. I read an interview in which Bruce said so himself. The total capacity was 250,000, and the number was probably spread to make the whole thing more impressive. However, only 150,000 were admitted that day for safety reasons. So there was basically room for 100,000 further people, which was left empty. A reasonable decision if you ask me.

[!--quoteo(post=131042:date=Mar 7 2006, 01:01 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 7 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]131042[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The attendance of the 1985 Rock In Rio festival was roughly the same as in 2001. It must also be noted that in 2001, Maiden were the headliners, while in 1985, the biggest band was Queen. So it is likely that in 1985, less people came to see Maiden than in 2001, even if the total attendance was the same.

It must also be noted that the 250,000 number is wrong. I read an interview in which Bruce said so himself. The total capacity was 250,000, and the number was probably spread to make the whole thing more impressive. However, only 150,000 were admitted that day for safety reasons. So there was basically room for 100,000 further people, which was left empty. A reasonable decision if you ask me.
[/quote]

Damnit, so the biggest gig they've played is only 150,000 (heh, 'only')? Not that numbers matter, but I've always liked saying to my non-Maidenfans friends 'That's 250,000 people singing in the background!'. Which I thought was a big number, until I saw on this news-lifestyle programme today that Fat Boy Slim has played to crowds of 600,000 in Rio. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]. Ah well, not like being a dance DJ requires that much skill, and I bet the choir used on HCW can make more noise than 300,000 Fat Boy Slim fans [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]. And I know this contradicts what I normally say about popularity not mattering, but I like Maiden to own other bands. Particularly crap bands. And especially crap dance/club bands/artists like Fat Boy Slim. And so I will not allow FBS to use an excerpt fro Dune in his upcoming album! (hmmm.... :: )

Back