Talescape (project by Forostar a.o.)

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Check out the project I'm involved with @
http://www.facebook.com/Talescape (info, artwork and 1 song)
http://www.myspace.com/talescape (2 songs)

------

As an introduction I first would first like to describe this project, and later I'll post lyrics, artwork and the audio itself.

So, what is it? A friend of mine and I decided to combine our ideas. His are the lyrical content, the texts. Mine the music. My brother added some acoustic guitars, my other brother created the artwork.

For the fun of it (this is a hobby), we decided to share this under the moniker Talescape and our first output is called "Path of the Beast". "Path of the Beast" does not have the length of a full album. I guess you can better compare this with an EP. The title and the original idea of the story were inspired by a 1989 computer game called "Shadow of the Beast".

What kind of style can you expect?

In short, you could see this first work as a story, told from different perspectives. My friend does not sing but tells the tale. Around it and under it there's the music. Personally I think the result is melodic, atmospheric and original. I will be curious about your feedback and of course hope you will like it. ;)

To be continued.

edit:
Here the text (story):

Talescape - Path of the Beast (19:09)

Chapter I: The Twilight Falls (starts at 00:00)
Once a man, now an abomination, he skulks the shadows in search of a cure for his terrible affliction.
Feared by many, hunted by some, he has always been on the run.
Except when the trees cast a trail and the twilight falls; he will come.
And you better not venture from the light for it is not safe in the shades.

Chapter II: A Children’s Tale (starts at 04:34)
When you have the feeling of being watched you know it is him.
Only when you are alone will he come and steal your breath.
The moment you look away, you will catch a glimpse of him in the corner of your eye.

Although this is a story told to children to get them stay indoors at night, one must realise that every story has its roots in some deep fundamental truth.

Chapter III: The Chamber (starts at 08:30)
A century ago an archaeologist made a stunning discovery.
He unveiled a structure filled with the marvels from some unknown past.
The architecture of the building was completely unique and inside there were treasures beyond imagination.
One particular chamber caught the man’s attention.

It was a large room with mirrors as walls and in the centre a stand with the silhouette of a hand carved into it.
The archaeologist, curious as he was, put his hand into the indentation.
He noticed that it was much bigger and more claw-like than his own. Suddenly the carved outlines started to shrink and before the man could act it fit his hand perfectly.
But when he looked up he knew that it was not the chamber that had changed.

Chapter IV: Forgotten Wanderer (starts at 12:02)
And thus began his lifelong banishment from humankind, shunned by even his closest friends. He tried to continue his work, but his rough exterior did not lend itself well for the precision required in his line of work.
He scoured the land in search of answers, but found none.
However, for some reason he always went in the direction the shadows grow.

Chapter V: Salvation and Paradise (starts at 14:36)
Until one day, while fleeing from some assailants, he stumbled upon a cave that seemed very familiar to him, yet he had never been there before. He entered the cave; rushing through the maze of corridors.
While under pursuit he knew exactly which turns to take.
One hunter was still on his heels. He looked back and saw the pursuer point his rifle and shoot.
The archaeologist ran as fast as he could into a tunnel.

There it was, a light at the end of the tunnel. And in the light I could see all my friends, my people.
I was destined to be with them, it was unavoidable. They accepted me with open arms, despite the way I looked.
After all this time I finally felt safe. And my last thoughts were:
“This is not a curse after all, it is a blessing. For I have found salvation and paradise; I am beast no longer.”

Re: Talescape (music Forostar & company): Path of the Beast

I didn't know that you compose -where it is ?  :)

Re: Talescape (music Forostar & company): Path of the Beast

On my harddisk. :)

The artwork (which should help to visualize the story) isn't finished yet, and we're also busy with a logo. Within a month (maybe way earlier, it depends) we hope to upload the finished product on a site.

Talescape (music Forostar a.o.): Path of the Beast (artwork added)

Artwork, made by my brother:

l_f380ee144b484feebad297431e7e05b9.jpg

I am very happy with it and find it fitting to the story and the atmosphere of the music, which I hope to present to you within a few weeks.

Thanks man, I'll tell him. :)

He uses Photoshop. He spends a lot of his time doing this, for fun (in competitions), but also professionally.
On his website you can see more of his creations.

Higher resolution:

l_8b63cd670b3e4a85aed4a76582025db9.jpg

I hope to bring the music soon.

It's very inspiring! I think the forearm needs a bit of work to it though, it's to thin to my taste.

pilau said:
Well, I didn't think of it this way :)
When will you release the lyrics then mate?

I moved them to the first post of this topic.

@Nush: that might be it, indeed. :)

Talescape (by Forostar a.o.) music uploaded!

Hiya fellow forummers,

I am glad to present the music (and voice ;-) ) of Talescape.

We made a myspace site.

If you like, check it out, I am curious about your feedback.

Talescape @ myspace
http://www.myspace.com/talescape  (hit the play button)

Also, we created a short description of our project:

Talescape combines imaginative storytelling with music ranging from calm passages to metal. The emphasis of the material lies on atmosphere and melody. The “Talescapes” are revealed to the listener by means of compelling narration, written and spoken by Dénes. The music is mostly written and performed by Aad Oliehoek. Mathias van Ulden adds suspense on acoustic guitar, and the visual art by Jan Oliehoek provides the finishing touch.

Thanks for your attention and best regards, Forostar

Given my knowledge of 'Shadow of the Beast' from my Amiga 500 days and the stunning visuals on your brothers site, I will definitely check your website out more thoroughly and comment.  Give me some time.

I definitely liked the first minute.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. :)
Interesting you have played that game. To be honest, I had an Amiga 500 but I don't think I played that one myself. That inspiration really went to my companion who does the story and voice of this project.

The music on that game had a flute which is to this day one of the most memorably eerie sounds I have heard.

I'm listening to the music right now.  Did you play all the instruments minus the acoustic guitar?

Are those keyboards at the end of chapter 3?  And whose "whoa" is that at the beginning of chapter 4?

I hope you don't mind all the questions.  :D

Genghis Khan said:
The music on that game had a flute which is to this day one of the most memorably eerie sounds I have heard.

I'm listening to the music right now.  Did you play all the instruments minus the acoustic guitar?

Are those keyboards at the end of chapter 3?  And whose "whoa" is that at the beginning of chapter 4?

I hope you don't mind all the questions.  :D

I do not mind at all! Yes, I played all instruments apart from most acoustic guitar parts, though (and now I hope I won't spoil things) the drums are not played but programmed. The funny thing is that I am a drummer but I don't have the room and time to practise and record these days. But I do try to make those electronic drums not sound like shit. And I want to make some interesting patterns. I have spent the most time on the drums from the first two chapters.

After we've recorded the music and voice we searched for samples and soundeffects to enrich the atmosphere. Those keys you mention was a ready-to-use sample which we have merged into the track. That "whoa" was done by me when my companion dropped a large box on my toes. After that we slowed down the pace of the recording et voila.

No seriously, that also was a sample, but we did slow down the pace in order to make it sound more "beastly".

This is cool, Foro. I like it and enjoy listening to it. What midi editor did you use and what sample library when making the drums?

I'd suggest, when your draft work is done, and you're satisfied with drum patterns, export MIDI tracks out of that editor, insert them into a real sequencer, use some multilayer-capable VSTi sampler filled with couple of GB's of drum samples.

Back