GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
Do we ever had a survivor game (or some poll) for e best guitarist, drummer, vocalist or bassist from the most famous heavy metal and rock bands ?

Not sure how this works, but a Scorpions survivor would be fairly cool imo. Or an Alter Bridge (or Just plain old Myles Kennedy's discography) Survivor would also be an interesting one

We had an Alter Bridge survivor but I was planning to lobby for another one after the new album gets out.

So we're just going to continue doing survivor after survivor despite the discussion we had a couple of months ago about there being too many of them? :huh:

So we're just going to continue doing survivor after survivor despite the discussion we had a couple of months ago about there being too many of them? :huh:

If I recall correctly the basis of the arguement against doing survivors was that there is little to no discussion in the individual bands discussion threads. While this is an issue when a survivor is occurring it needs to be looked at when one isn't occuring, many bands threads lie dormant with little to no discussion in general whilst a survivor thread actually has discussion taking place. Based on that saying we are doing too many survivors based on the individual threads having a lack of activity is actually counter-intuitive, what we should do is merge the survivor threads into the discussion or have the results posted there in order to generate discussion and keep the discussions portion of the thread out of survivor and have it simply be used to state what they are voting for with explanations and thoughts being placed in the individual threads.

The lack of actual discussion in Music Discussion was a factor, yes, but the main thing was that very few people participate in survivors and they're just a method to rank bands' discographies by crowdsourcing.

The lack of actual discussion in Music Discussion was a factor, yes, but the main thing was that very few people participate in survivors and they're just a method to rank bands' discographies by crowdsourcing.

As opposed to the very few people talking in the discussion thread? I see your point about the low pool, but I also feel like survivor discussions have a much higher chance of occurring since everyone is talking about the same set of songs at a time instead of just piping up into a conversation. Yes crowd-sourcing is a factor but the discussion threads do roughly the same thing with the lack of actual codified ranking. Plus it is always interesting to see what the communities thoughts on a discography is.

I, for one, haven't been interested in taking part in a survivor in a very long time. The only one I care about is the Iced Earth survivor, which takes ages (@Night Prowler <_<) All other survivors lately are simply not appealing to me. So no, I'm not tired of survivors, I'm just not into the ones being run.

I have to be selective about what survivors I play in due to time. Iced Earth is good because I know their discography well enough that if I don't have time to revisit the material I can still participate most of the time. Ghost was great because the discography is small. I see ABBA as more of a songs band than an albums band, so going through their discography for the survivor kinda seems like a slog to me. Taylor Swift is kinda the same, although I enjoy her last two albums enough that I'll jump in later on. I didn't play Alter Bridge last time but I might give it a shot this time around.

For me, I am a little tired of the survivor format. I've enjoyed the non traditional games more recently which is why I started Metal Essentials. I've started to realize that any survivor game without high participation gets really tedious, especially if there's a big discography. You really have to find a band with either a small discography or a discography where almost every album is essential listening. The latter is an impossible task.

There was demand for the current survivors, and people willing to run them, so that's why new ones have started. I agree the Ghost survivor was a very nice example of a short survivor with a limited discography, and it held interest throughout from those who wanted to take part. But it still wasn't of interest to everyone, because only a percentage of people here are into Ghost. Long survivors and niche bands or genres are definitely more difficult to run. Maiden ones always work well here, but we've kind of exhausted all the Maiden and solo/side project ones for the time being.

Back