Steven Wilson n00bvivor Results: The hiss of the train at the railway head

Satisfied?

• Total voters
I wanted to vote for Burning Sky but it'd cause a 4 way tie. @Mosh: So I'll vote later then, just tell me before you update so that I can break a potential tie :)

I know you want to see how the n00bs vote, but having a regular 6th voter would be helpful.

GboxUpdate.jpg

I am working on a post for the next album. In the meantime, there is some material that was released after Up the Downstair. An EP titled Moonloop (Stars Die in the USA) which features one song that isn't on any albums:

Check it out and let me know if y'all think it should be included in the survivor.

There was also a short live album recorded from two different shows. This is interesting as it is the earliest officially released recordings of the first PT live band.

"Stars Die" is quite a popular song among fans, and one of the few early tracks that survived in setlists to the end. I'd include it.

I think you have to include Stars Die and Voyage 34 here. Yeah include the songs as they appear on the releases imo.

Based on a quick look at Wikipedia, it looks like there'll need to be a decision made on which version of the album to use.
There are thus three distinct versions of this album - the original UK version, the US version, and the 2004 remaster - no two of which feature the same track list, or the same version of "Moonloop".
For consistency's sake, we should make sure we're all listening to the same thing. :p

Yes, been trying to figure that out. Right now I'm thinking the European version + Stars Die, but the 2004 remaster is probably the easiest to obtain. It was also recently put on spotify along with several other PT albums. The 2004 remaster contains all the songs that would be included if we use the European version, just in a different order and with a different version of Moonloop.

@Shadow should Sky Moves Sideways be included as one song or two?
I'd include it as two different tracks. As for "Moonloop", it's an improvised space rock jam, I don't think it matters all that much which precise version each of us has.

Yea that's the impression I got from reading about it. I will be listening to the 2004 version on spotify.

Eliminated
Always Never

Promoted
Synesthesia
Burning Sky
Fadeaway

The Sky Moves Sideways
When it came time to make the third album, Porcupine Tree had become a real band. They were performing live together, creating new music together, and started to gain some recognition in prog circles. The members of this band were all musicians who had worked with Steven in the past. Steven Wilson was taking more interest in the band as a live performing group rather than a studio project, so it wasn’t until 1995 that another Porcupine Tree album surfaced.

In the meantime, this new band appeared on two new recordings. A live album titled Spiral Circus and an EP titled Moonloop which featured two brand new songs. These were both given very limited releases, with the former only being available on cassette initially.

The Sky Moves Sideways was a bit of a breakthrough for Porcupine Tree. It was the band’s first album to be released in America and it was welcomed with open arms in the prog rock community. For many fans it was the right album at the right time. Pink Floyd had just completed their final tour and The Sky Moves Sideways showed Porcupine Tree at their most Floydian. Perhaps they would be able to fill the void.

Not only is the album stylistically reminiscent of Floyd, but also in its structure. The album contains a massive epic divided into halves bookending the album. Sound familiar? The behemoth title track was at one point planned to occupy the entire album. It also includes the 17 minute Moonloop from the previously mentioned EP of the same name.

This is also the first PT album to feature a band, rather than a Steven Wilson solo project with various guest musicians. Moonloop is even credited to the whole band in the liner notes. It is still very much the passion project of Stevie, The Moon Touches Your Shoulders and Dislocated Day are both solo performances from Wilson.

The Sky Moves Sideways is considered by many to be the first great Porcupine Tree album. The previous two albums already created comparisons to Pink Floyd, but it seems that the comparison is really noticeable on this album. But fans still insist that it’s more than shameless Floyd worship and Porcupine Tree innovate on this album. Many consider this the best of the band’s early psychedelic period. I’m really looking forward to this because I’ve heard many great things about the album.

Release information: There are several versions of this album. The original version European version doesn’t contain Stars Die and the title track is split into two tracks bookending the album. The American release does feature Stars Die and the title track is still split into two, but the individual movements are tracked separately instead of it being two long tracks.

Similar to the previous album, an expanded version of Sky Moves Sideways was also released. The first disc of this version is the European version of the album remastered but without Moonloop. The second disc includes an alternate cut of the title track (in one track), an alternate version of Moonloop, and Stars Die. Also, from what I understand, every release of the album has a different version of Moonloop. It is more of a jam than a real song. Any release is probably fine, as long as it includes all the songs listed in the poll. 2004 Remaster is probably the best bet.

I've listened to this twice today. I still don't get this band.

Phase 1 - 5 minutes of ambient, 4 minutes of repetitive melancholy, followed by 6 mins of Mortal Kombat music meets a middle eastern market, ending with 3 mins of pretty acoustic arpeggios. Sorry guys, I don't get it. 2/10 - vote

Dislocated Day - Has a really sick groove and some very cool Eastern-sounding melodic riffs. I wish the vocals had some actual power, but this is a cool song. 8/10

The Moon Touches Your Shoulder - More Pink Floyd worship and I’m asleep. But at least it’s a song. +1 point for that cool guitar solo and the circus sounds. +1 more point for that ending riff, which should have appeared way sooner. 5/10

Prepare Yourself - Throwaway transition ambient piece with Jimi Hendrix wah guitar yelling in space. 2/10 - vote

Stars Die - Amazing jazzy drum and bass groove. I’m still not in love with Steven’s vocals or melodies and the song ultimately goes nowhere. 4/10

Moonloop - uggghhhhhh. I will never be high enough to enjoy this. 1/10 - VOTE

Phase 2 - Oh great, more ambient sounds and spacey jam loops! We finally get somewhere about 5 minutes in with some really weird eastern/Nintendo sounding riffs…This one is better than the first, mostly on a guitar level, but still overlong and underwhelming. It’s just atmosphere. 4/10

I think you will probably like their post-Stupid Dream stuff better. Less psychedelic and more riffs, almost metal at times.

I haven't listened to any of this at all, but Knicks' lowly marking really perked my interest...
Phase 1 - 5 minutes of ambient, 4 minutes of repetitive melancholy, followed by 6 mins of Mortal Kombat music meets a middle eastern market, ending with 3 mins of pretty acoustic arpeggios. Sorry guys, I don't get it. 2/10 - vote
I mean, that's sounds great; right up my street! :ok:

Back