'SPOILER': a short review of the Uster/Zurich show

Cosmiceddie

Back From The Edge
Well, as you may know last night Maiden turned up at Uster/Zurich in Switzerland.It was a small festival with four bands incl.Dream Theater.Anyway I don't want talk about that bands since I wasn't really into them.

Now Maiden.They boys entered the stage at about 10 to nine.Just to let you know, there were no changes in the setlist.I was standing about 50 meters right in the middle between the stage and the mixing desk and I realized that the sound was excellent from the beginning apart from some vocal problems at the very beginning of 'Murders in the Rue Morgue' which opened the show.Then later on at some point Steve's bass sounded a little rumbling and distorted but only for one or two songs, so no major problem.However, the big problem that night was the lightning desk.Mind that the light show was out of work until 'Wrathchild', thus there were no light for quite a few songs.Bruce announced that there were some problems with the electricity.Luckily it wasn't too dark by that time and the rest of the gig we could enjoy the full lightshow which looked great.

There was also some confusion on stage during 'Wrathchild' when somebody must have been played out of time because Dave all of a sudden got lost and looked rather confused to Steve and didn't play guitar for a few seconds.I've never witnessed so much confusion on a Maiden gig before which was funny in a way.

As for the musical highlights of the show I should point out to both 'Where Eagles Dare' and 'Phantom of the Opera'.During the former Bruce sounded most excellent and I was amazed by that vocal performance since the vocal lines are pretty high in that song(Bruce's voice live clearly sounds better these days than during the 'World Piece Tour '83 where he would regulary f**k up that song.)
In a word, he was just as good as on the album version!

'Phantom of the Opera' showed that marvellous Eddie backdrop that looked amazing together with the blue/violet lightning!

However, I guess the audience(there were lots of very young people there, many of them being female) liked best all the songs off the 'Beast' album.The reason may be the fact that many seemed to be unfamiliar with the old DiAnno era songs ...

As for Eddie, the 'floating' one during Iron Maiden looked wicked with the brain coming back into the skull.Then in 'Drifer' the walking Eddie appeared which was the 'Ed Hunter' one wearing kind of a strait-jacket, so I have no clue what happened to the new Eddie from the beginning of the tour.

Let me something say about the merchandising.Well, I think that prices must have come out of sanity these days... :eyes: I mean a shirt was £25 or $45 as well as two amazingly looking cloth flags('Eddie Rips up the World' and 'The Trooper'(oblong format) which were sold at the very same price.That's when I decided not to buy them.The only thing I got was the rolled tour poster that was quite cheap then.

To close this review I'd like to say that the show was really great(I'd rate it 8.5/10)and the band proved that they are still on fire.Thus we can look forward to some more great tours I guess.

15 days to Oslo!!!wohooooo...nice that Bruce was good at Phantom, I was conserned that he would not do that as well as Paul(but who can)..but i cant wait to see them in Oslo!!

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jun 13 2005, 10:42 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jun 13 2005, 10:42 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Adrian Smith is larger than you.
[snapback]108315[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:wacko:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wacko.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wacko.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Unfortunately we did not meet(I met your wife, though) but I'd like to see your opinion of the show. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Adrian Smith is larger than you!

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Dear god, SMX, what have you started?[/span]

[!--QuoteBegin-Cosmiceddie+Jun 13 2005, 01:53 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Cosmiceddie @ Jun 13 2005, 01:53 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:wacko:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wacko.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wacko.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Unfortunately we did not meet(I met your wife, though) but I'd like to see your opinion of the show.  [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]108324[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I loved it! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Even if Adrian Smith is larger than me [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jun 13 2005, 04:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jun 13 2005, 04:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I loved it!  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Even if Adrian Smith is larger than me  [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]108402[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Adrian is larger than life!

For the first time I missed a show in Switzerland [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ... I still hope to catch Maiden on this tour, but will be hard... Well, you can't believe how sad I am, but still glad that the show was great ! Hope to find some bootleg of it soon [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Mav, did you enjoy ?

Cheers

It's a shame you missed it. Maybe you'll be able to go to the Paris show?

I personally enjoyed it very much, mainly thanks to the company of Freaky [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jun 13 2005, 07:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jun 13 2005, 07:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's a shame you missed it. Maybe you'll be able to go to the Paris show?

I personally enjoyed it very much, mainly thanks to the company of Freaky  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]108417[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Nah, wedding of one of my best friend on that exact day (and the following week, I'm the best man at another wedding and Pink Floyd is reuniting for one show in London... I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M MISSING ALL THIS... sorry for the caps Mav, I know you don't like that [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

My last chance for Maiden: Leeds. Will depend on the amount of work I will have [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jun 13 2005, 04:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jun 13 2005, 04:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I loved it!  [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Even if Adrian Smith is larger than me  [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]108402[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'm kind of surprised you did love it because I know you don't exactly like how Bruce sings the Di'Anno era songs... [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] So you seem to consider this show to be a compliment for Bruce's vocal abilities, don't you .. [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I will close and delete all the Maidenfans threads related to Zurich and pretend the show never happened... AAAARGH [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Sorry, have to get some therapy over this [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Cheers

Just get some Ricola and a cuckoo clock. That's the best therapy! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jun 13 2005, 10:21 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jun 13 2005, 10:21 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Adrian Smith is larger than you!
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Dear god, SMX, what have you started?[/span]
[snapback]108400[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Me? I was at school all day! I come back home and find a forum full of my favorite saying, and I get blamed?!?

It's not my fault that Adrian Smith is larger than you. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Listen, if you hadn't come up with that catchphrase, I wouldn't have to hear it from Maverick all day long.

Back