Songs you want Maiden to cover.

What songs would you love Iron Maiden to cover? I would love to here them cover Judas Priest's Painkiller just because I want to here Bruce sing entirely in falsetto.Although Nicko wouldn't because of the double bass pedal.

Manowar - Achilles, Agony & Ecstasy In Eight Parts
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons or Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno

They are covering bands that had influence on them, not bands they were influential to.

Having that in mind, i say anything off Animals by Pink Floyd. Besides Pigs On The Wing tracks, of course. It's Steve Harris's favourite Floyd album and Floyd has been an influence on them.
But they don't cover complex tracks any more, back in the day when they covered early prog pieces (King Of Twilight for example), they probably wanted to show they can match the skill of older artists. Nowadays, if they cover anything, they do it for fun. So i don't think they'd go for a complex track. Sheep is pretty much basic but the middle part is too synth dependent, for them. Dogs also has a synth-driven part, but it plays a much less of a role in a whole song. Pigs would do well  B)

...and sorry for bringing reality check into your little dreamland, but them covering Manowar is just fucking absurd.

Another suggestion - Out In The Fields by Moore & Lynott. That one is pretty much already in Maiden-rocker standard form. Adrian singing Phil's parts, Bruce singing Gary's parts. And I'm still waiting for that Angel Of Death cover they supposedly did in 2006.

finalfrontier said:
would love to here them cover Judas Priest's Painkiller just because I want to here Bruce sing entirely in falsetto.
That technique is called belting, according to Ralph Scheepers. Not falsetto.  :D

But you're spot on with the choice of band. I'd love Maiden to cover anything Priest.

Babo 91 said:
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell.
close your eyes and imagine it,  just for a moment
I'd rather not.

I enjoy when bands do an interesting take on songs that aren't hard rock/metal... like Van Halen's cover of "You're No Good."

Iron Maiden have done some good cover songs ("Doctor Doctor" comes to mind,) but I much prefer them doing originals. I feel that way about most bands. Thank goodness Maiden leave the covers off of the albums.

I wish we had gotten some singles from TFF to have some B-Sides (including covers).    I would like to hear a Deep Purple cover, Flight of the Rat would be great.

Babo 91 said:
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell.

close your eyes and imagine it,  just for a moment
This would be really great!

Also a cover of A Change of Seasons would work out quite well I think.

bearfan said:
They already did Cross Eyed Mary, if they did Aqualung, that would cover about half the album.

This is true but i would love to hear how bruce describes the charecter with his voice. "sitting on the park bench...........snot running down his nose". I'm sure he'd paint the picture well as always. A smith/murray solo wouldnt hurt either!

Yeah, most of these suggestions don't make sense to me.  I don't want to hear Maiden do anything Priest or vice versa.

I would however love to see them do another Thin Lizzy song.  Bad Reputation, Southbound or Don't Believe a Word would be awesome.  Or another UFO number, Lights Out or Mother Mary would be awesome if Maiden-ized.

As much as I dislike covers in general, I always thought Maiden would kill with Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple.

bornless1 said:
   As much as I dislike covers in general, I always thought Maiden would kill with Perfect Strangers by Deep Purple.

They've "borrowed" some themes from Perfect Strangers -- the first solo in El Dorado comes to mind, there are likely others.

Back