Songs with Steve's solo

Black_Thunder said:
The Clansman
Blood On The World's Hands.

The Clansman? There is no bass solo in The Clansman. And the bass playing in that song is very basic. I'd rather consider the bass backing of guitar solos in Phantom of the Opera, Powerslave and Stranger In A Strange Land solos. The bass line that goes along with Adrian's solo in the latter is one of 'Arry's finest moments.

Eddies Wingman said:
The Clansman? There is no bass solo in The Clansman. And the bass playing in that song is very basic. I'd rather consider the bass backing of guitar solos in Phantom of the Opera, Powerslave and Stranger In A Strange Land solos. The bass line that goes along with Adrian's solo in the latter is one of 'Arry's finest moments.

I thought of the beginning. Steve plays that part, doesn't he?

Here's the Rock in Rio version for ya. I wouldn't call what Steve plays here a solo. He just plays a backing line, and switches to his electric bass at 2:27. The fact that he plays the beginning on an acoustic bass doesn't make it a solo.

If you consider that a solo, then you'd have to count everything that isn't just playing the key note of the guitar riffs.

I've never a considered that a solo. It's the same basic riff he was playing before, just moved up a couple octaves.

A solo isn't a riff. A solo is non-repetitive licks and melodies. Steve just plays the riff twice in a higher register.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I've never a considered that a solo. It's the same basic riff he was playing before, just moved up a couple octaves.

A solo isn't a riff. A solo is non-repetitive licks and melodies. Steve just plays the riff twice in a higher register.

What about his stuff in RTTH?

Eddies Wingman said:
and Stranger In A Strange Land solos. The bass line that goes along with Adrian's solo in the latter is one of 'Arry's finest moments.

I also like his playing in the calm part of Sea of Madness.

Forostar said:
I also like his playing in the calm part of Sea of Madness.

Of course, forgot that one. I like playing that part myself. In general, the interplay between bass and guitar during those solos/interludes is one of the things I enjoy most in Maiden's music.

A question for SMX, who seems to be the steadiest in music theory on this board: Can those song parts where the guitarist plays a solo and 'Arry plays a varied bass melody underneath it be defined as "counterpoint"?

RealMaidenFan said:
What's about the intro of "Innocent Exile" ?

That's a riff. Originally the guitar had to do this, and Steve would play the chords with his bass, but Steve decided to switch these roles.

You beat me to it, Foro. By the way, it is a very cool riff. The rest of the song doesn't live up to it. The solos are OK, though.

Back