Some Untrue facts on "Early Days" DVD

DREAMASTER

Invader
On the booklet of Early days DVD it says that the 1982 Hammersmith Odeon show had major technical and lightning problems that caused the end product to be virtually unusable and that only the best parts were inluded in the DVD. Well, in the 12 Wasted Years VHS video it's included footage of the song "Sanctuary" from 1982 Hammersmith Odeon show. The picture and sound is very good and the performance of that song too. So, why wasn't included in the DVD?!
Also, in the booklet of Early days DVD says that due to the violence in Iron Maiden song, this one was cut from the broadcast and only a short clip remains in the 12 Wasted Years VHS video. That's not true, in the video the Iron Maiden song is included in its full and although it wasn't broadcasted it's recording exits in the Maiden archives(picture and sound). So why wasn't included in the DVD ?!

[!--QuoteBegin-DREAMASTER+Jul 12 2005, 06:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DREAMASTER @ Jul 12 2005, 06:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]On the booklet of Early days DVD  it says that the 1982  Hammersmith Odeon show had major technical and lightning problems that caused the end product to be virtually unusable and that only the best parts were inluded in the DVD. Well, in the 12 Wasted Years VHS video it's included footage of the song "Sanctuary" from 1982  Hammersmith Odeon show. The picture and sound is very good and the performance of that song too. So, why wasn't included in the DVD?!

[snapback]111791[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Perhaps that was the only useable song from the recording with the rest being poor?

I somehow had the feeling that they wanted to focus on NOTB songs only, with "Murders In The Rue Morgue" and "Iron Maiden" added to make the whole thing feel somewhat complete.
Just a guess.

The man who piled all the contents of the Early Days, Dave Pattenden, gave an interview which is in FC mag Nr. 72 where he says:

"I retrieved an edit of the show [Hammersmith 1982] and reviewed it up at Abbey Road. This print was then transferred to Digital and we proceeded to edit and tighten the cut of the best songs that were there. Then, the audio was reemixed slightly and a full grade was performed to correct the lightning issues but sometimes you have to find the middle road."

"This piece of footage proved to be the most difficult and hardest to obtain and also in my view the one big dissapointment for me personally that we couldn't find that missing song anywhere! ZDF in Germany were the original owners and on contacting them through EMI Germany they said that the rights belonged to the promoter. We eventually managed to track down the promoter who proved very hard to contact and we found out that he no longer had a copy of the show but that could contact another company who might have it. And so this went on and on for months before eventually it led us back to ZDF!!! They finally, after much communication, "found" in their old archives what they thought was the broadcast show and that is indeed what turned up. However, to my horror, it was missing the one song "Iron Maiden" where Eddie was killed off by the band. This is when it became apparent that german TV had viewed that the recorded version was far too violent for public broadcast and had thus removed the offending song and footage, which was crazy! In the meantime they managed to destroy all of the original footage from their archives and the then director of the show had passed away some years previously so there was no chance of his help without a seance! I contacted about as many people as I could think who might have the clip, I trailed through literally hundreds of the band's own VHS tapes from that time and anything that looked even vaguely like being from that time, but it was not to be. Of course there is a clip of the footage in "12 Wasted Years" which is a documentary but even from those rushes and assets I could not locate this missing song. If anyone ever reads this and have a copy please feel free to drop me an email at the Sanctuary Group website as I'd love to just get hold of it!"

Back