'Seven Ages of Rock'

Raven

Ancient Mariner
A new documentary on the history of rock music, named 'The Seven Ages of Rock', will feature an entire episode dedicated to the heavy metal scene from 1970 - 1991

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/events/

The show will begin by looking at the rise to fame of Black Sabbath (arguably, one of the first definitive heavy metal bands), and will document such events as Number of the Beast hitting No. 1, the Judas Priest subliminal message trial, and the release of Metallica's 'Black Album', and the commercial acclaim it garnered.

The show is subtitled 'Never Say Die', and will air on the 9th June at 9pm on BBC Two.

This should be good.  While it can't go into the depth of, say, 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey', the BBC's documentaries are usually of a high quality, so it'll be interesting to see how they summarise the history of metal (obviously focussing on the 80's, and heavy/thrash in particular).

Sounds good, but I'm in the wrong country  :(

Anyway, what is "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey?"  Some kind of documentary?  And where can I see it?

Invader said:
Sounds good, but I'm in the wrong country  :(

Anyway, what is "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey?"  Some kind of documentary?  And where can I see it?

It was a straight-to-DVD full-length documentary on the history of metal, as researched and presented by anthropologist Sam Dunne.  Sadly, he wasn't able to cover all genres in sufficient detail (Doom metal, for one), as he stated that doing so would make it run to about 7 hours, but he is in the process of making a sequel.  As a good analysis of what metal is all about from someone who loves it and can take a professional slant on it, it's a very enjoyable documentary.  The interview with a rather drunk Necrobutcher from Mayhem is hilarious, as well.

I watched the first instalment last night which focused on the birth of Rock music. It told how Hendrix, influenced by Dylan, Clapton and Muddy Waters (amongst others) took the distorted guitar sound to a new level. It also told of how he would jam with Clapton onstage after a Cream gig only to out-Clapton the man himself and two days after the release of Sgt Peppers he had the nerve to open a concert of his with the title track of this album - both of these things were just not what you did, but he did. Not all the focus was on Hendrix, although most of it was, it also dealt with how, for example, the Stones were the only 60's band to really move beyond the hippie era and embrace a more darker edge reflecting the mood of the people.

Back