Senjutsu - 20 Months Later

I’m not knocking AMOLAD when I say this, but I’ve never felt it was as strong of an album as everyone seems to think. Of all the six reunion albums it seems by far the safest and doesn’t really break any new ground. It’s extremely solid, but there’s no tracks as good as Starblind, Book of Souls, Paschendale, Nomad, or The Parchment on the album.

I’m not knocking AMOLAD when I say this, but I’ve never felt it was as strong of an album as everyone seems to think. Of all the six reunion albums it seems by far the safest and doesn’t really break any new ground. It’s extremely solid, but there’s no tracks as good as Starblind, Book of Souls, Paschendale, Nomad, or The Parchment on the album.
I'm largely in agreement.

A lot of folks say AMOLAD is their favorite reunion album because it is darker and/or heavier than others, I suppose they're right with those descriptions however to my taste that makes it my least favorite reunion album. Totally personal, subjective preferences.

I love all the songs mentioned in this prior post as well as Montsegur, Dance of Death, Isle of Avalon, The Red and the Black, Hell on Earth.

I wouldn't say that it doesn't really break any new ground, there are some really heavy songs plus the intro of ''The Legacy''. BNW is probably the safest Reunion album (apart from ''Dream Of Mirrors'' and ''The Thin Line Between Love And Hate'').

And I think ''For The Greater Good Of God'' and ''Lord Of Light'' are as strong as the songs you mentioned. There is not a single bad song in the album imo.

I could somewhat agree that it doesn't break any new ground, given that it could be compared to The X Factor with its darker, heavier sound and its long running time (it was their longest album on release). But I would say it was far from a safe album, the aforementioned dark and heavy sound was far from what most fans of Maiden were into, and even playing it live in its entirety was a bold move.

TFX and AMoLaD are my two least favorite Maiden albums. To me they are both dark, grey, formless, and depressing. That said, they're not bad albums, just my least favorite. (There are no bad Maiden albums.) I can listen to them as background music while I'm doing something else.
TXF is my least favourite Maiden album but AMOLAD is in my top ten. I don't see any resemblance between them (aside from the war and religion theme but then again, every Maiden album has a war and religion theme).

It remains a great album one of my favorites along with Brave New World from 2000 onwards. It was love on first listen to TWOTW, the video was also very cool. Listening to The Parchment I got carried away by my imagination in
Ravel's Boléro during a soundtrack trip to the "Lawrence of Arabia". Death of the Celts, at times it seems to be in the cinema; among the fires, warriors, dances with maidens or something like that, with Bruce definitely inspired! Many will disagree, as it should be, but Hell on Earth in my opinion Steve has made a work of art. Too good to be true! Stratego is good but the live version better than the studio version. Darkest Hour another great track, immersed in "Operation Dynamo" gives hope to the 400 thousand Anglo / French soldiers bottled in Dunkirk, with the Nazis a stone's throw away. This album making me feel all these strange sensations and I love it...cheers!

A year later, Darkest Hour is the best track for me, followed by The Parchment and Hell on Earth. Overall, one of their best albums. Listening to it now with a pint of Trooper.
Edit: I kind of think Darkest Hour is their Nothing Else Matters. My wife knows it as the "seagull song" :cool:

Last edited:
I still think The Parchment is an absolute banger. One of their best, if not THE best, reunion song.

I would rate the tracks like this:
  1. The Parchment
  2. Senjutsu
  3. Hell On Earth
  4. Death Of The Celts
  5. The Time Machine
  6. Lost In A Lost World
  7. The Writing On The Wall
  8. Days Of Future Past
  9. Stratego
  10. Darkest Hour

Almost a year after its release, I must give my ranking of Senjutsu songs.

1) The Parchment
2) The Writing On The Wall
3) Hell On Earth
4) Lost In A Lost World
5) Senjutsu
6) Stratego
7) The Time Machine
8) Death Of The Celts
9) Darkest Hour
10) Days Of Future Past

Almost a year after its release, I must give my ranking of Senjutsu songs.

1) The Parchment
2) The Writing On The Wall
3) Hell On Earth
4) Lost In A Lost World
5) Senjutsu
6) Stratego
7) The Time Machine
8) Death Of The Celts
9) Darkest Hour
10) Days Of Future Past
I agree but in my opinion The Parchment make me excited and moved but Hell is divine!!! DOFP still remain the one that convinced me least...anyway cheers!

My thoughts after a year.. I am surprised but I will say that this time Adrian/Bruce combo did not bring the best tracks to the table. Steve is the Master this time. My favorites are:
Hell On Earth, The Parchment, Lost In A Lost World
Death Of The Celts, The Time Machine
The Writing On the Wall, Stratego

Senjutsu album definitely is in the upper echelon, regarding post reunion albums production. Senjutsu album mixed with The Book Of Souls album would create the ultimate post reunion album for me.

Back