Senjutsu - 20 Months Later

Lost in a Lost World very underrated IMO, I see why some don't like it though. Personally I like it a lot. The only song on the album I will skip from time to time is Darkest Hour. Not because I don't like it, I just want to get to the Harris epics.
I think the intro to LIALW is beautiful, echoes of vintage Pink Floyd. However I'm not crazy about the chorus, I find it simplistic in a way reminiscent of the one from No More Lies.

However couldn't agree more with you about "I just want to get to the Harris epics.". Those three are my favorite songs on the album.

"Lost in a Lost World" has some weaknesses in the songwriting, some transitions are too clumsy.
But it also has many strengths, so it's still not a bad song for me.
I thought at first "Darkest Hour" was a bit average, but then Adrian's solo came and made the whole song emotional and meaningful.
For me, it’s an album of remarkably consistent quality (more than BOS) with songs that all have musically interesting things to offer and pass the baton well to each other while going through different atmospheres.

Ranking the choruses of Senjutsu:

1. Hell on Earth
2. Days of Future Past
3. Lost in a Lost World
4. The Writing on the Wall
6. The Time Machine
7. Senjutsu
8. Stratego
9. Darkest Hour

“Death of the Celts” and “The Parchment” have no true chorus so they are given honorable mentions.

While I haven't revisited the whole album in a long time. I do listen to the following tracks:
Senjutsu
Stratego
Writing On The Wall
Days of Future Past
Darkest Hour
Hell On Earth

Personally Writing On The Wall, Darkest Hour and Hell On Earth are my top 3 from the album, the latter of which is easily one of Maiden's best songs every in my mind. Although I feel it needs a little bit of the first faster paced lyrics added to the end. But I wouldn't doubt it would be in the running for top 10 Maiden songs for me.

I like the Senjutsu album a lot, but anyway, my question to those of you who consider it the best of all reunion albums:
what makes the album superior to Book Of Souls?
It doesn´t have subpar (IMO) tracks like Tears Of A Clown, Empire Of The Clouds, Speed Of Light and When The River Runs Deep.
TBOS and DOD are my least favourites of the reunion era.

I like the Senjutsu album a lot, but anyway, my question to those of you who consider it the best of all reunion albums:
Dave and Janick's solos are generally better in Senjutsu compared to TBOS. However, that does not make it a better album. When Bruce said (or implied) TBOS was better than TFF, back in the day; he was absolutely right. But when he said Senjutsu was better than TBOS... well that I can't agree.

but why Stratego so low?
They’re all good choruses! “Time Machine”, “Senjutsu”, and “Stratego” could honestly have all been in a different arrangement, I like them about the same.

''Dying, a warrior Celt has no fear''... is the chorus in Death Of The Celts.
I get that view but it feels more like a bridge or refrain to me.

I like all songs, while in TBOS I don't like at least one song. The solos and choruses are also better in Senjutsu imo. TBOS is an amazing album too.
Ranking the choruses of Senjutsu:

1. Hell on Earth
2. Days of Future Past
3. Lost in a Lost World
4. The Writing on the Wall
6. The Time Machine
7. Senjutsu
8. Stratego
9. Darkest Hour

“Death of the Celts” and “The Parchment” have no true chorus so they are given honorable mentions.
''Dying, a warrior Celt has no fear''... is the chorus in Death Of The Celts. Thumbs up for putting the chorus of Lost In A Lost World so high, but why Stratego so low?

My top 5 songs from the album are: Hell On Earth, Stratego, Senjutsu, The Parchment and Death Of The Celts.

My ranking of the choruses is:

1.Hell On Earth
2.Stratego
3.Death Of The Celts
4.Days Of Future Past
5.The Writing On The Wall
6.Senjutsu
7.The Time Machine
8.Darkest Hour
9.Lost In A Lost World

From 5-9 are interchangeable. I really enjoy all choruses in the album.

-> Btw, ranking the verses is impossible for me, because I like all of them a lot. As for the intros, they are always gold.

Edit: I'm sorry I deleted my post @Diesel 11, I wanted to add one more comment.
Although I feel it needs a little bit of the first faster paced lyrics added to the end. But I wouldn't doubt it would be in the running for top 10 Maiden songs for me.
It needs another repetition of the chorus. ;) A top 10 song for sure.
It doesn´t have subpar (IMO) tracks like Empire Of The Clouds
Wow!

Last edited:
It doesn´t have subpar (IMO) tracks like Tears Of A Clown, Empire Of The Clouds, Speed Of Light and When The River Runs Deep.
TBOS and DOD are my least favourites of the reunion era.
But IMO also doesn't have as greater a tracks as TBOS, Empire of the Clouds, The Red and The Black and i'll include If Eternity Should Fail in that too. And I think it does have plenty of subpar tracks too

I've been doing a discography run through after the initial Senjutsu shine wore off and I took a small Maiden break. Album still holds up for me, since everyone is ranking for some reason, mine is -

1. A Matter of Life and Death
2. Senjutsu
3. The Book of Souls
4. Dance of Death
5. Brave New World
6. The Final Frontier

Still not capable to give an exact ranking list, but I listened to the album yesterday during a long walk late in the evening and I still loved it. For some reason, to me it's magic hasn't worn off at all. :)

It's not quite as firmly among my very favourite Iron Maiden albums like A Matter of Life and Death, but I do think it's quite close to Brave New World, which is a great album. I also find Senjutsu a little bit more cohesive than The Book of Souls (which I still like very much, it's quite an exciting record!) and Dance of Death. It has a bit more... don't know, life and energy than The Final Frontier that I consider as strong album that just doesn't sound too exciting. I like it a lot, but I think Senjutsu and even The Book of Souls have some edge over it on certain areas.

So, something like this... maybe?

GOLD TIER
A Matter of Life and Death

SILVER TIER
Senjutsu
Brave New World

BRONZE TIER
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls
Dance of Death

(not in order within the tiers)

Hi all. First post.

Been listening to the album quite a bit since launch. I’m probably ‘slightly’ disappointed overall, but that’s comparing it to the quality of some of its recent predecessors. However it’s still a good Maiden album.

My highlights are TWOTW, Stratego, DOFP and The Darkest Hour. The Darkest Hour doesn’t seem to get as much love as the tracks that follow it, but personally I prefer it. Whilst Hell on Earth is good, I don’t get why it’s being so well regarded, but I have the same opinion with other legacy tracks such as Paschendale.

On the album rankings I would go

A Matter of Life and Death

(clear gap)

The Book of Souls
Brave New World
Senjutsu
The Final Frontier
Dance of Death.

I think AMOLAD is in the top 3 of all Maiden albums.

Lost in a Lost World very underrated IMO, I see why some don't like it though. Personally I like it a lot. The only song on the album I will skip from time to time is Darkest Hour. Not because I don't like it, I just want to get to the Harris epics.
:notworthy:LiaLW is a fantastic song. The vocal melodies are awesome, the guitar parts are fuelled with so much energy, and those lyrics...

Back