Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
In my humble opinion, the album does not flow that well. Lost in a Lost World plods in disc 1, with the quality of the material dropping at the same time; disc 2 begins with a slow song that is followed by 3 (excessively) long songs... I do not think having 3 epics back-to-back to close the album was a good idea.

harrisdevot

Priest of the Holy Wristband
It "plods" ? Well, I consider it the highlight of disc 1 with the title track (whose second part is not as good as the majestic beginning, though).
I don't think the length of three last songs matters, as long as they are good. And the three closing tracks are more than that. And, honestly they are not that long. Metal albums welcome more and more really long tracks, and other genres even more. When you decide to listen to a symphony, you know you will have to get between 20 and 50 minutes of the same musical piece.
The problem with the album's flow is not the slow song: it's the fact that, in an album filled with great melodies (both instrumental and vocal), we've got a song that does not even try to be musical. I've tried to understand that song, to find something in it (apart the great solo, obviously), but I can't even wistle the vocal line. Melody is everything.

The_7th_one

Ancient Mariner
I'm worried about Kevin Shirley says about it has been very difficult to join all the pieces together…because they work on that way and (this is my opinion) to have Harris beside you on the mixing desk it must be very difficult to work with. In fact sometimes you've got the feeling that parts of the tracks are forced but it doesn't make sense in the flow of the song musically. The first time I noticed about this was in The Book of Souls album with Empire of the clouds song. Instrumentally you can feeling that there are parts that could be recorded in parts because the song instrumentally don't flow right. And when the band have been asking about to play the song live and they say , No I don't think so. It's because they have recorded in parts and to rehearse all the song it would be like to create a new one or learn the whole song because some of them just played some arrangements here and there or they say they're very difficult because the tempo changes…

According with some interviews Bruce says that nobody heard the album done. It's like nobody knows what played in that studio

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
In my humble opinion, the album does not flow that well. Lost in a Lost World plods in disc 1, with the quality of the material dropping at the same time; disc 2 begins with a slow song that is followed by 3 (excessively) long songs... I do not think having 3 epics back-to-back to close the album was a good idea.
I think the album flows quite well. LIALW is not a slow song (only the intro & the outro) and we have 2 fast short rockers (Stratego and DOFP) plus one lively song (TTM) to compensate in Disc 1. Disc 2 starts slowly, but I think the tempo is good for the next songs - the instrumental section of DOTC is pretty lively, Hell On Earth with its gallop too (only the long intro & outro are really slow) and honestly, it doesn't feel like an 11 minutes long song when I listen to it. Only The Parchment is slow, but with the 6 solos it should help for the flow. I was also worried about having 3 epics back-to-back, but in the end the most important thing is the songs to be good. Btw, I don't like that TFF album has 3 epics back-to-back to close the album or the 3 slow songs back-to-back to close TBOS album, but for this album I think they are perfect... the first one sets the mood, the second one lowers it and the third one is a fusion of the previous two.

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
What on earth is wrong with Lost in a Lost World? :huh:
I *like* the song, but it’s also one of Steve’s weirdest, most ham-fisted compositions. The intro has almost nothing to do with the rest of the song. The verses are cram-packed strangely (“They see the Eagle as he floooooooooOooOooats… ON THE WIND!”) the outro is a mouthful word salad, and the instrumental section is like a revisit of ‘90s Maiden. With all that in mind, I do still like it for what it is. It’s a weird song but to me it still works, although it’s also my second least favorite on the album after “Darkest Hour” (which is also not nearly as awful as harrisdevot claims).

Perun

Περούν Παντοκράτωρ
Staff member
I don't know, I really enjoy it. I haven't read the lyrics and don't pay attention to them when listening to the song, so maybe that helps, I don't know. I just like it for the music.

Ruflux

Ancient Mariner
Bad chorus, aimless noodling interludes a la 90s Maiden.
This, pretty much. I also feel like the intro, while great on its own, really feels too disconnected from the rest of the song. The outro's pretty nice too, but that chorus and the interlude that just kinda goes nowhere really kills it for me. I don't think it's bad necessarily, but it's easily the weakest track on the record.

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
I don't know, I really enjoy it. I haven't read the lyrics and don't pay attention to them when listening to the song, so maybe that helps, I don't know. I just like it for the music.
It’s less about the lyrics and more about the way they’re structured. Again, it’s weird to me, but not bad.

Also @Jer I gotta disagree with you bro, I think the chorus is super fun. The first time I played the album it was a highlight. It’s kind of in the vein of “The Wicker Man” (the backing music is kinda similar too I think) and it hits only slightly less hard. Probably my favorite part of the song.

harrisdevot

Priest of the Holy Wristband
I *like* the song, but it’s also one of Steve’s weirdest, most ham-fisted compositions. The intro has almost nothing to do with the rest of the song. The verses are cram-packed strangely (“They see the Eagle as he floooooooooOooOooats… ON THE WIND!”) the outro is a mouthful word salad, and the instrumental section is like a revisit of ‘90s Maiden. With all that in mind, I do still like it for what it is. It’s a weird song but to me it still works, although it’s also my second least favorite on the album after “Darkest Hour” (which is also not nearly as awful as harrisdevot claims).
Great to see how different tastes we can have. I disliked Lost when I first heard it (most of all the main heavy riff) but it clicked really quickly. I love the verses (although I agree they are strange), the instrumental part is really dynamic (and the recurrence of some passages is really important, as the different themes perfectly complement each other), and for me, the outro is one of the most beautiful bits Harris has ever written, and it says a lot.

Last edited: