Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

TheMercenary

Ancient Mariner
Did you notice that the early riff on "The Writing On The Wall" looks like the riff in The Beatles' song "Helter Skelter" ?

Gk1

Here I sit in a serenade of glory!
After listening to Smith/Dickinson songs on Senjutsu I'm pretty sure that Bruce needs Adrian on his new solo record to make another masterpiece like Accident or Wedding. Tyranny was good, but not that good as these two records.
I was duscussing the same thing this morning!

Maturin

Sköldpadda
After listening to Smith/Dickinson songs on Senjutsu I'm pretty sure that Bruce needs Adrian on his new solo record to make another masterpiece like Accident or Wedding. Tyranny was good, but not that good as these two records.

I have Tyranny of Souls as a clear favourite. Great record with some cool songs. Extremely well produced vocals and some stellar guitarwork. Making that mix work with a guitar sound like that... Coooooool!

TheTalisman

Ancient Mariner
People will tell you how great they think that many of the songs of Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are because of Adrian, but if you check the album booklet, most of them are only co-written by Roy Z. :facepalm:

Hey, if Bruce had just pretended that Adrian played on Tyranny of Souls and credited him in the booklet, people would rank that album considerably higher.

Lots of people can't even distinguish if a solo is played by Smith instead of Roy Z!

Last edited:

matic22

Ancient Mariner
People will tell you how great they think that many of the songs of Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are because of Adrian, but if you check the album booklet, most of them are only co-written by Roy Z. :facepalm:

Hey, if Bruce had just pretended that Adrian played on Tyranny of Souls and credited him in the booklet, people would rank that album considerably higher.
Nah. But it has been proven that having Adrian around is great, even if he's not the primary writer, for second opinion. With Maiden and outside.

Last edited:

TheTalisman

Ancient Mariner
Well, I believe that we have just seen the strongest Maiden album since the start of the millenium, and that's primary because some particular members didn't bring in anything like Wildest Dreams/El Dorado/Speed of Light this time.

Someone else was allowed to bring his own material instead to a full degree, and that isn't a bad thing.

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
There are a lot of X Factor comparisons and I am also noticing that fans of the band’s 90s output who haven’t been quite as enthusiastic about recent work are really digging the new album, so there’s probably something to that. One thing X Factor was missing was something to balance out the dark Harris-y material. I think Bruce and Adrian’s contributions, while limited, give Senjutsu a dimension that X Factor didn’t have. At the same time, I also actually like that they only brought in a few songs. A less is more thing is happening. Look forward to more Bruce and Adrian on album 18 tho

TheTalisman

Ancient Mariner
One more Dickinson/Murray collab (which produced Judas Be My Guide) would be something though, or even a Dickinson/Harris/Murray one (resulted in Brave New World and Rainmaker).

I think a good track with some melodic input from Murray is what's missing on Senjutsu.

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
Amen! Or, heaven forbid, some Dickinson and Harris collaborations. I don't like them going in such different directions
I would t mind another one of those. Out of the Shadows was cool, Only the Good Die Young is awesome. It feels like the albums have gotten less collaborative over the course of the reunion era, I wouldn’t mind a tad more of that.

Maturin

Sköldpadda
So far, I've got four 10/10 songs on Senjutsu. "Stratego", "Lost in a Lost World", "The Time Machine" and "Hell on Earth".

"Death of the Celts" could join that league, I am not sure at this time.

Even though I eventually came around to The Book of Souls pretty recently I already feel it has been eclipsed.

Brigantium

General of the Dark Army
Staff member
Having taken a while to warm to it, I'm teetering on the edge of a 10 for Stratego too. Inspired bit of writing that sounds like it came out fully formed.