Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

blindg3

Nomad
On my 3rd listen through and the first on vinyl. Sounds fantastic

I like the album more every time, I was slightly disappointed yesterday as I wasn't initially blown away like i was with TBOS but it has clicked a lot with this listen. Although i should say that this time around I have gone into the album with a more critical ear, maybe that is part of being on this forum....

I have seen comments that parts of the album sound very 90s Blaze era Maiden which I completely agree with (and is fine with me!)

5 things i love (apart from nearly all the songs)
Steve still has a fantastic ear for melody
I am a sucker for an "Egyptian" sounding melody (I really should learn scale names)
Bruce sounds incredible and the use of vocal layering
the clean sections of Lost in a Lost Land
LOST IN ANGER - LIFE IN DANGERRRRR

5 Things i don't like
The shoehorned clean section before last chorus of Days of Future Past, ruins the song for me :(
Death of the Celts (intro and outro are cool though)
I have never complained about Maiden's song lengths but I felt a couple of these could have been trimmed.
Having to flip the vinyls so many times
I can't really think of a 5th one, I guess a couple of songs have transitions that feel a little jarring (but what do i know i guess, Steve is a genius)
"intro and outro" lol. It's the cancer of many of their songs

srfc

Ancient Mariner
Guys I have been hearing that some people are receiving the deluxe boxset without the lyrics booklet and instead two booklets for writing on the wall. Can anyone confirm that they have received everything it is supposed to contain. Quite worried about this since the only way i can have physical copy of the album is by expensive shipping.

Yep that is a common issue, go to box.ironmaiden.com and you can order the real booklet

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
About which songs they will play live:

They will play for sure:
Senjutsu
Stratego
TWOTW
Hell On Earth

TWOTW and (maybe) Senjutsu during LOTB Pt. 3 - they can skip the former for the album tour. I hope the title track to debut during the album tour... it will be a great concert opener.

They most probably will play both short songs, so DOFP has a big chance.

I doubt about The Time Machine (if they play Stratego) because they usually play one Janick song for the album tours (since the reunion)... the only exception was BNW tour.

I'm not sure if they will play Darkest Hour, but I really hope so - they can put it in the encores (like Journeyman).

I expect a second Harris epic to be played too - DOTC will be a great live song, but The Parchment would be amazing (a little rest for Bruce in the middle of the set and these 6 solos have to be played live).

LIALW is a very good song, but I think it will be skipped (too much epics, I guess).

In the end, I think they will play 6/7 songs from the album during the 2 legs -> 1 song for LOTB tour (TWOTW), 5 songs for the 1st leg (without TWOTW) and 1 other new song for the 2nd leg. Btw, they also played 7 songs from TBOS album (during 2 legs).

Azas

Alchemist / The Rose of Paracelsus
Bearing in mind songs like Senjutsu, Death of the Celts, The Parchment, Hell on Earth, even Lost in a Lost World - Bruce's Return of the King would immensely fit on the album. Imagine this run:

7. Return of the King
8. Death of the Celts
9. The Parchment
10. Hell on Earth
:rocker:

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Senjutsu is one of the best songs Maiden has ever released, it's that good. No plodding, cinematic, emotional, amazing drums, and everything is in place. Major Priest vibe.
The riff and the whole vibe of the verses are very Judas Priest.

dickinson1978

Educated Fool
About which songs they will play live:

They will play for sure:
Senjutsu
Stratego
TWOTW
Hell On Earth

TWOTW and (maybe) Senjutsu during LOTB Pt. 3 - they can skip the former for the album tour. I hope the title track to debut during the album tour... it will be a great concert opener.

They most probably will play both short songs, so DOFP has a big chance.

I doubt about The Time Machine (if they play Stratego) because they usually play one Janick song for the album tours (since the reunion)... the only exception was BNW tour.

I'm not sure if they will play Darkest Hour, but I really hope so - they can put it in the encores (like Journeyman).

I expect a second Harris epic to be played too - DOTC will be a great live song, but The Parchment would be amazing (a little rest for Bruce in the middle of the set and these 6 solos have to be played live).

LIALW is a very good song, but I think it will be skipped (too much epics, I guess).

In the end, I think they will play 6/7 songs from the album during the 2 legs -> 1 song for LOTB tour (TWOTW), 5 songs for the 1st leg (without TWOTW) and 1 other new song for the 2nd leg. Btw, they also played 7 songs from TBOS album (during 2 legs).
I think during LOTB pt 3 there will not be new songs. But in case they play one, Death of the celts,and in senjutsu tour drop that one to play Hell on earth....what an awesome chorus.

TheMercenary

Ancient Mariner
A new video review of 'Senjutsu' by one of the guitarists of french heavy/thrash band ADX. I'm OK with some of his arguments and not with the others. But, in fine, he didn't understand the musical direction of 'Senjutsu'...

dickinson1978

Educated Fool
Senjutsu is one of the best songs Maiden has ever released, it's that good. No plodding, cinematic, emotional, amazing drums, and everything is in place. Major Priest vibe.
I dont see the priest vibe at all LOL more tool like some said,90s metal. But,really like the song,