Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Azas

Alchemist / The Rose of Paracelsus
Title song written by Smith/Harris, something left field. Interesting.

Whooten

Ancient Mariner
The optimum running time for vinyl I think is somewhere in the region of 17 mins per side of a 12 inch, so anything longer than that means quality is sacrificed.

Thanks, I always thought vinyl was fine into the early 20-minute range, mostly because I remember Martin Birch implying there were issues with Powerslave and LAD have 25 minutes+ per side.

Good description of vinyl lengths here:

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
Well I was expecting another double album, but my logic getting there was more collaboration, not Harris unleashing an onslaught of epics. To have written so much material, I hope (and I think reasonably expect) that there’s quite a bit of variety there. Bruce’s comments about there being a couple of different songs and Harris’ comments about some of them being quite difficult excite me. One thing I missed from TBOS was the instrumental work was fairly straightforward compared to TFF.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
The dark (green) background of the cover surprised me... I thought that they will go for a lighter color after TBOS.

It fits the artwork, but maybe brighter and more colorful green would have been better - we don't have a green cover.

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
It’s also interesting that they’ve decided to match what they were doing on TBOS in so many ways. Same studio, same recording approach, even the same cover artist. I am surprised they went for the simple Eddie on black cover scheme again. That was such a unique move on TBOS. I hope there’s a nice gatefold piece like TBOS had.

With all that said, the writing credits are pretty surprising. Very little Dickinson input, which I was not expecting at all. Even Smith and Gers seem a little less present. And of course no Murray. I wonder what the story is. Steve must have come in with a lot of material from the beginning.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Well I was expecting another double album, but my logic getting there was more collaboration, not Harris unleashing an onslaught of epics. To have written so much material, I hope (and I think reasonably expect) that there’s quite a bit of variety there. Bruce’s comments about there being a couple of different songs and Harris’ comments about some of them being quite difficult excite me. One thing I missed from TBOS was the instrumental work was fairly straightforward compared to TFF.
I was expecting a shorter album than TBOS, but not a double album again.

So many epics from Steve is quite interesting and curious.... very difficult and complex songs - let's hope for the best.