Sea of Madness

Where Eagles Dare

Keep Your Distance! Walk Away!
Maybe this post is pointless but I'm going to do it anyway... Is it me or everyone forgets about Sea of Madness. Literally Every time I listen to somewhere in time and wasted years ends, I'm thinking, here comes heaven can wait. Then I realize it's sea of madness and I'm thinking wow this song is so incredible, the bass line the chorus, the riff, everything.

What do you guys think about it? And what makes a song, that's at least decent (I think better then that) so forgettable?

I do not find it forgettable. It is my one but favourite song of the whole catalogue (only beaten by Rime). See my review here. Maybe it is somewhat overlooked because it hasn't been on the setlist since 1987. It hasn't been on any compilation, live album or DVD. Just on one eighties album (which admittedly had a few re-releases, and which was the last studio album getting a platinum status in the USA) of which only two other songs have had exposure.

People who like Somewhere in Time a lot, probably won't feel it's forgettable since they can identify with the whole album, and that includes this beauty.

By the way, there's a whole topic on the song where you can read people's opinions: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/sea-of-madness.4314/

Last edited:
It's #16th on my favourite Maiden songs, and definitely one of Maiden's most underrated.

Yes, among my favourite Maiden songs, and pick for most underrated.
Brutal riff, perfect chorus, killer performances, brilliant interlude — one of Smith's best compositions.

I think it's great. One of my favorites on the album. Definitely the right choice for them to play that live on that tour

It reminds me of Duran Duran's Rio. It flows in a very similar fashion, the quiet solo and chorus in particular.

Not as complex as some other numbers, but it is a really, really enjoyable song.

The vocal melody soars above, and the guitar riffs are full of interesting detail. A very well done song, probably my favorite from that album.

A lot of people love SiT on this forum too, and it often gets voted the best album here by the regulars. Powerslave, Seventh Son, X-Factor, BNW and AMOLAD get a lot of love here too.

^ I think you'll find maiden forums have hardcore fans who know their whole catalogue and not just The Number of the Beast like the commercial kids... Lots of love and diversity for those who know all the albums. I love Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death. Rock in Rio IMO is the best live album for them. Best live versions of many songs for them. If there was a live album for Somewhere on Tour, I'd have a different opinion

I think Rock In Rio gets a lot of attention here too. Maybe not quite as much as Live After Death, but still a significant amount.

Back