Saapanael's Top 50 Iron Maiden songs

Saapanael

Ancient Mariner
How difficult and time-consuming this task was. I'm still not completely sure whether this is 100% correct for me but I'll change it over time as my favourite songs change. I will also try to add explanations to songs and improve this thread but for now I'll just reveal the list. Enjoy:

1) Hallowed be thy Name
2) Alexander the Great
3) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
4) Fear of the Dark
5) Sea of Madness
6) Sign of the Cross
7) Judgement of Heaven

8) Wasted Years
9) Rime of the Ancient Mariner
10) Mother Russia
The Clansman
Caught Somewhere in Time
Brave New World
The Duellists
The Prophecy
Paschendale
Dance of Death

The Trooper
Public Enema Number One
Lord of the Flies
Powerslave
Phantom of the Opera

Judas be My Guide
Infinite Dreams
Déjà Vu
Aces High
The Talisman
22 Acacia Avenue
Still Life
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Dream of Mirrors
The Educated Fool
Rainmaker
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Ghost of the Navigator
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Futureal
When the Wild Wind Blows
Number of the Beast
The Man Who Would be King
Revelations
The Nomad
Fortunes of War
Quest for Fire
Heaven Can Wait
These Colours Don't Run
The Clairvoyant
Isle of Avalon
Killers
The Longest Day

Last edited:
Great list, #6 was really surprising. But I must ask why is Quest for Fire there. It's like in my bottom 5.

I love that Mother Russia is in the top ten! I thought I was the only one who loved that song. Likewise for Judas and Deja Vu, such underrated songs!

I'm shocked by Judgement, Long Distance Runner, and Quest for Fire, but hey, to each their own. Overall, nice list!

Great list, #6 was really surprising. But I must ask why is Quest for Fire there. It's like in my bottom 5.

I think I'll lower Quest some spaces but to answer your question: interesting intro and gallop rhythm, 'mazing harmony (with the bass flowing in the back and all) and solos which I find to my liking.

PS. Adding Dream of Mirrors, completely forgot about that one yesterday.

#50 The Longest Day
This one doesn't blast from my speakers too often but it's still a mentionable one. The riff and chorus that kick in after the tension-growing intro are very cool and somewhat happy-sounding, which is nice to hear every now and then. Catchy is the correct word, nicely sung by Bruce. I lose my interest at some places, for example after the second chorus and it's definitely the most complete or variable song but the song leaves a nice overall impression.

#49 Killers
One of the best early songs. It starts out with heavy bass and screams by Di'Anno and doesn't wait too long before jumping into the energetic, raging main-part. Very full of power, imo one of the best performances by Di'Anno, great lyrics too of course. Something to listen while walking home on a quiet dark night. Maybe my favourite part is the middle one, starting at 2:30 something. Dave's solo shows his young talent, it is followed by more fast NWOBHM and the harmony at the very end completes, puts a dot to the song.

#48 Isle of Avalon
I find the intro a bit too time-consuming, it's one I would skip a minute or two to get to the good part sooner. But when it hits, it hits good! Fertility mother goddess, sow the seeds of the born. Again, some less melodic parts are not my most preferred cup of tea but these are minor things. Masterful guitar-work and cool lyrics describe this song well. A memorable song and proof that Maiden has become more progressive over the years.

Last edited:
That's one of my favourite parts, setting up a great atmosphere, drawing me in immediately.

Last edited:
Added The Talisman, removed Starblind, lowered Revelations. Probably adding comments to next songs tomorrow.

#47 The Clairvoyant
A very easy Maiden song but a solid one at that. Starts with a fun bass rhythm and grabs other instruments one by one, changing between happier and more serious tones, accompanied by synth. The lyrics of Seventh Son are always good to hear. The solo is beautiful, melodic and uses great harmonic licks. The song is built pretty generically and is simple to memorize.

#46 These Colours Don't Run
This is one well done soldier-themed song, once again serving good riffs one after another. It gets especially good after the 3-minute mark where a darker feeling hits and introduces the solos which aren't the best ones you can imagine but the song as a whole never fails to tell a story. After the solos, there's another riff that seems like fresh hope after fighting in "cold bloody war".

#45 Heaven Can Wait
I like the low-note beginning and how it evolves. The song creates a certain atmosphere, like most SiT songs, that makes it powerful. Most would probably agree when I say that the best part is after the solo: "Ooo-oo-oo". Not only the masses singing but the guitar noises that start swirling around the chanting. What follows is a very good, perhaps underrated solo. The drums in this song also deserve to be praised.

#44 Quest for Fire
In my eyes, one of the most underrated pieces Maiden has ever written. Sure, the lyrics and "plot" behind the song is silly but the way I see it, the music is what's important. Quest begins with a cool intro, goes on with a fun and quite challenging gallop, reaching the chorus. What the song lacks in lyrics, it makes up in powerful vocals and rhythms. The second half brings all the best bits. Firstly, a great harmony that caresses the ears with a smooth bass line supporting it. Then the pretty downright yet well-composed and beautiful solos. At the end, Quest reminds you of the way it began and leaves you thirsty for more.

#43 Fortunes of War
Dark and emotional, just like the album. The words spoken by Blaze really make one think. FoW changes between (s)low heaviness and surprising leads. There's no denying that songs from this era sometimes had a bit too much repetition but it's eliminated right when it would get boring. Janick's lead is haunting, Dave's a bit worse this time. The middle-part is energetic and entertaining but takes another dark turn at the final third, fitting for Blaze's voice.

#42 The Clansman
I don't rate this one as high as most of you probably would but everything in the Top 50 has fought its way there. As with most songs performed there, the RiR 2001 version is what I find most enjoyable. I give Clansman credit for its instrumental epicness, the guitars stand a lot over the words in this one. The melodies tell an interesting fast-paced story, richened with symphonic elements. The best are the solos and the riff before them. After that I seem to lose my interest a bit but it largely comes back when the electric guitars return.

50) Can I Play with Madness - Used to think it was alright, but then I grew up, matured a listened to better Maiden songs

49) Futureal - Never liked it. Ever

48) Man on the Edge - Bearable, but not something I'd listen to

47) Charlotte the Harlot - Catchy chorus, but that's all it is

46) Flight of Icarus - Really used to hate it, but I've now realised how good it really is

45) Wasted Years - I find it boring if I'm honest

44) From Here to Eternity - Fun, catchy, crowd-pleasing singalong

43) Infinite Dreams - Very good song, fits in well with the theme of SSOASS

42) Wrathchild ( Donington '92) - Superb live performance

41) Run to the Hills (Donington '92) - One of the best live performances of RTTH

40) El Dorado (En Vivo) - Purely because it kicked off a good concert

39) The Clairvoyant - See #45

38) Sanctuary (RiR 2001) - Amazing crowd interaction, and Janick's ridiculous guitar solo

37) Running Free (Donington '92) - One of the best Maiden encores

36) Iron Maiden - Signature song, nothing special, but nice tune behind it. Shame Nicko decides to speed the drumming up

35) Virus - Not 100% sold on it! but definitely one of the better songs during the dire Blaze Bayley era

34) Different World - Simple rocker, good opening track for AMOLAD

33) Isle of Avalon - Definitely one of the best from TFF

32) Invaders - Slow, clunky and boring

31) Wasting Love - One of the only ballads that works

30) Bring your Daughter - Not great, but worth a listen to every now and again

29) Be Quick or Be Dead - Fast paced and different

28) Alexander the Great - Amazing.

27) The Wicker Man - catchy chorus

26) The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - One of Maiden's best epics

25) Starblind - One of the best

24) Holy Smoke - Slightly boring, but worth a listen

23) The Talisman - Masterpiece

22) The Prisoner - Decent song

21) Fear of the Dark (Download '13) - Great, crowd-pleasing epic

20) 2 Minutes to Midnight - Nothing special, but tremendous vocals

19) Powerslave (Live After Death) - Amazing vocals bring it to life

18) The Number of the Beast - Never gets old because of the wail and solo

17) The Evil that Men Do - Good song

16) Wrathchild - One of the better songs of the Di'Anno era

15) Running Free - Not great, but simple

14) Phantom of the Opera (Download '13) - Great performance of a classic

13) Moonchild - Underrated classic

12) Run to the Hills - Decent, definitely a classic

11) The Trooper - One of my favourites, good galloping beat

10) El Dorado - Great opening, decent lyrics

9) Mother of Mercy - More suited for AMOLAD than TFF, dark and entertaining

8) The Alchemist - Good rocker, entertaining

7) Hallowed Be Thy Name - Classic, one of the best epics

6) Phantom of the Opera - All time classic, and amazing 4+ minute solo

5) Powerslave - One of the best epics ever

4) Rime of the Ancient Mariner - The best epic in Maiden's history

3) These Colours Don't Run - Good song
2) When the Wild Wind Blows - Possibly the best song on TFF
1) Brighter than a Thousand Suns - My favourite AMOLAD song

This list in insane! :D
49) Futureal - Never liked it. Ever
I'd hate to see your #51-100! :p
For Christ sake, this is your top 50; surely you like everything in your own top 50?
46) Flight of Icarus - Really used to hate it, but I've now realised how good it really is
Should you not have it a bit higher then? i.e. futher away from songs you can barely stand listening to?
45) Wasted Years - I find it boring if I'm honest
Honest? I think you've lost your mind...
25) Starblind - One of the best
But piped by:
24) Holy Smoke - Slightly boring, but worth a listen
Whit!? :eek:
Consistency man!

I could go on, but...
Oh, one more:
15) Running Free - Not great, but simple
But better than a few masterpieces...
And on your list twice...

Okay, I'll stop now.

Last edited:
The other Running Free was a live version, though. If I had enough time I'd post a comment along the lines of yours, Cried.

Back