Rock of Ages Musical

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
I was in NYC last weekend and saw 'Rock of Ages' musical on Broadway starring Dee Snider and also featuring David Cloverdale off-stage doing a short introduction for the musical. The musical features song of many 80s rock bands including Dee's own Twisted Sister, as well as Poison, Journey, Bon Jovi, etc.  The plot is fairly typical, with various youths following their Hollywood or rock 'n' roll dreams while at the same time trying to fight "the establishment", making ends meet and dealing with relationships.  The musical started off slow for me, but by the second half of the first act I was laughing and enjoying the show.

Dee Snider is not the typical actor is the show or as far as I know in general, so it was great to see a rock star performing a part that suits him.  His voice was great and for me he was the highlight of the show.  Well, besides the scantily clad female performers.  I did say it was an 80s rock show after all.

I don't know if I'd rate it better than the Queen musical 'We Will Rock You'.  Probably not, only because the Queen musical was a bit more highbrow.

Back