Rock/Metal bands and generations

PieceofMind89

Educated Fool
What bands would you consider baby boomer bands and generation x bands?

Boomer bands: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Ozzy, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin
Gen x bands: Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Nirvana, Alice in Chains.

What are "baby boomer" and "generation x" bands?

Bands whose peak of popularity converges with the main era of various cohesive so-called "generations", sociologically described and connected via cultural circumstances and age, mayhap?

Though I can't help but find the idea fundamentally flawed, mainly because these generations are the epitome of then-current culture, whereas metal's inherent counter-cultural ("underdog") status goes somewhat against the tide, so to speak. That is, I can hardly call Maiden a "Gen X" band in any way, shape or form, if you know what I mean.

I would like to know some good Gen-Z bands.
PkyzH6gu_400x400.png

Seems like an American thing.

"Generations" in and of themselves are not "an American thing." Dynasties are built on said concept. the labels they carry may differ from country to country/region, but generations are fairly universal. Ever heard, "this [insert random piece of junk] has been in the family for generations." Or "For generations [insert country/region/peoples] have subsited on agriculture, but recently began to move towards more industrial jobs." A generation is traditionally 25 years.

"Generations" in and of themselves are not "an American thing." Dynasties are built on said concept. the labels they carry may differ from country to country/region, but generations are fairly universal. Ever heard, "this [insert random piece of junk] has been in the family for generations." Or "For generations [insert country/region/peoples] have subsited on agriculture, but recently began to move towards more industrial jobs." A generation is traditionally 25 years.

Some of the labels carry very specific meaning though, e.g. Baby Boomers. We were neutral in WW2 so we didn't have a baby boom. Also, Millennials are the "peace process generation" here, which again has very specific connotations and real meaning behind it.

I didn't mean any negativity towards America in my post, in case it appeared that way.

Your environment at formative years of 12-14 has a ton of influence on your future choices. When you construct "generations" you have people in the same "generation", e.g. same label, that passed those formative years with a decade in between them. A millennial can be old enough to remember the Berlin wall falling (and understand, on a basic level, what is happening) and young enough to not remember WTC at all.

Your environment at formative years of 12-14 has a ton of influence on your future choices. When you construct "generations" you have people in the same "generation", e.g. same label, that passed those formative years with a decade in between them. A millennial can be old enough to remember the Berlin wall falling (and understand, on a basic level, what is happening) and young enough to not remember WTC at all.

True, because millennials are born from 1980-1995

Back