Rock in Rio

A

Anonymous

Has anybody noticed that in the Rock in Rio DVD in the song Ghost of the navigator, the colour of Adrian's guitar changes. Throughout the song it is white, then just before Janicks solo, there is a glimpse of Adrian holding a white guitar with brown lining. is it just me or has nobody else noticed this?

He doesn't like Janicks stage attitude, and he's beginning to annoy me by constantly pointing it out.

Janick is crazy on stage! He's so into the music and rocking out! What do you want him to do? Sit down on some steps and play his songs looking down at his guitar?

Yes, the Iron Maiden Bitching Board is great for that kind of talk. As for me, well I would rather have Janick stop showboating and get Carcass to reunite. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Jannick's mental! I love the way he follows Steve around in one song (can't remember which one) and then starts running rings around them. Or at the start of the heavy bit of BNW (I think) he goes absolutely insane and starts spinning round. Love the fight with Eddie in tEtMD, too.

Back on topic, what does Adrian's guitar colour change mean? Have Maiden been splicing footage, is it the lighting, or did Adrian just change guitars in the middle of the song? I must know!!! [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Yeah I noticed that too. And not only Adrians' guitar, neither is it only in Ghost Of The Navigator. Throughout the whole concert you'll notice all guitar players magically use different guitars. I think that they go and switch them quickly and the camera just doesn't show it. Otherwise something is going on. ::

Well, if they do run off-stage (or to the sides, I guess), switch guitars, get ready, get back on stage and start playing all within the space of a solo, they deserve to be congratulated even more!

I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but in Rock in Rio DVD some things were... "added in studio", let's say.

First song: Wicker Man. Pay attention to Bruce when he sings "Your time will come!". Sometimes he says something like "Rock in Rio" or "Brazil", so the crowd will sing and imediatly the camera stops showing him. What happens is that Bruce does not sing that line, he lets the crowd sing. But in the DVD they "added" that line.

That can only be noticed in The Trooper, when he sings the last "oh oh oh oh oh..." and camera shows he's not really with mic near his mouth. Looks like a playback.

I realized this cause I am brazilian and I have Iron Maiden's show recorded live (TV was showing). I don't even know if this is allowed, but if you guys want I can post here a link to the REAL version of Fear of the Dark, that pisses me off the most. As usual, Bruce says "Fear of the dark... you!" and LETS THE CROWD SING! But on the DVD they added that line to Bruce too, so seems like he laughs while singing.

Maybe I hsould've done another topic cause this is a totally different matter, but I was a fraid someone had already pointed it out and then topic would result stupid and repetitive :D!

Susie said:
That can only be noticed in The Trooper, when he sings the last "oh oh oh oh oh..." and camera shows he's not really with mic near his mouth. Looks like a playback.

Maybe the video was wrongly edited and not the audio as you seem to conclude in all examples?
But indeed, you have the real live audio and video registration of the concert, which is good for comparing.

It happens often that things are omitted or added on official live cd's / dvd's, so this is no big shock for me.

I wouldn't be pissed off too much about it ! :)

But it really makes everything worse!

One thing I don't like about Long Beach~ is the crowd reaction. It's really weak, apart from Running Free! But on Rock in Rio, if you set your equalizer in songs like Bloodbrothers you can barely hear Bruce, only crowd singing.

It is just wonderfull and they cut it out! Even more annoying when they cut best laugh I've seen Bruce doing on Fear of the Dark...

I don't have my PC here atm, but when it's fixed I'll host here the true versions of FOTD and some others just so you can compare.

Can anyone tell me if that's allowed?

In the ullevi stadium bootleg of the Eddie rips up europe tour, shot by Swedish television, you can see Dave change his guitar. In Iron Maiden the song just after the quiet bit were Bruce usually introduces the band members, you can clearly see Dave hand his guitar to a roadie and he receives another one. Nothing wrong with that offcourse, it was a moment when he didn't need to play, and guitars, well they just need to be tuned every once in a while. If it makes for a better sound well then why not?

You can compare the "real" RIR version with the edited one.  Just go to youtube.com,  and search for "iron maiden rock in rio".  The unedited versions are there,  easily noticeble by the logo of the tv channel on the top left of the screen  ;)

Susie said: But on Rock in Rio, if you set your equalizer in songs like Bloodbrothers you can barely hear Bruce, only crowd singing.

Personally, I love the crowd singing.  I know the songs..have heard them thousands of times and I think Maiden could not be happier to hear a crowd (especially that Rio show) singing their music back at them.  My wife loves Maiden as well and on the weekends when we go shopping or whatever, we'll pop in Death on the Road or Rio in the CD player and she always gets pissed when the crowd sings too.........because it gives her goose bumps and usually she's just shaved her legs :lol:    We saw Queensryche last year when they did Operation Mindcrime I & II.  Her favorite part was the encore of Jet City Woman, with the crowd just singing it back to them. 

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead.

It's an awesome show, but a lot of it was messed up in the editing. Steve is a brilliant musician, but an editor he ain't.

There are continuity errors like the ones mentioned, but also some really obvious things like the use of the snorri-cam. For those not familiar with it, it's when you mount the camera on the torso of whoever's being shot. Keeping the character stable but the background moving around. It's been used in movies like Lock Stock, Requiem For a Dream and Pi. Anyway. There are a few moments when Bruce has a snorri cam on him, or at the very least a video-camera in his hands. But then they cut away to a wide-shot where there's no camera on him.

But if we're looking for crazy editing, the Donington show takes the cake. Slowmo for God's sake. Not that it doesn't look good, but sometimes it feels out of place. Oh, and the removal of the crowd on Afraid To Shoot Strangers pissed me off to no end. You can clearly see Bruce doing the chant with them, keeping the beat with his arms. But there's hardly any audience-sound. Same can be said for some tracks on RiR, but this was really obvious. And ATSS is one of the songs where the audience-participation really lifts it. Compare the Live At Donington version with the one on A Real Live one. Imo the latter is far superior. And just to clarify, I'm aware that Steve didn't edit Donington, but it's still a fairly clear example of the same issues.

I really hope that Steve will take the criticism to heart and calm down a bit with his cutting-mania :p

Shrike said:
It's an awesome show, but a lot of it was messed up in the editing. Steve is a brilliant musician, but an editor he ain't.

There are continuity errors like the ones mentioned, but also some really obvious things like the use of the snorri-cam. For those not familiar with it, it's when you mount the camera on the torso of whoever's being shot. Keeping the character stable but the background moving around. It's been used in movies like Lock Stock, Requiem For a Dream and Pi. Anyway. There are a few moments when Bruce has a snorri cam on him, or at the very least a video-camera in his hands. But then they cut away to a wide-shot where there's no camera on him.

Such small cameras can't be seen properly from a short wide-shot.

Adrian also had a camera on his guitar (or perhaps Bruce, near him) during The Mercenary. Anyone complaining that it couldn't be seen the next shot? No. Simply because everyone knows it's too small to see well. And we all know how fast the editing is.

I bet to differ, there, mate. I won't argue about the guitar-cams, because as you said the cameras may very well be small and not visible from a wide-shot. Notice that I didn't bring that up as a point in the original post.

However, the snorri-cam was added in post, there's no doubt about it. The most damning proof is the fact that you see the harness Bruce is wearing.

rir1-20070715-230435.jpg
rir2-20070715-230708.jpg
rir3-20070715-230502.jpg

As you can see, he has a fairly robust black harness, which is even more obvious in motion, because it stays in the same spot while his shoulders jerk around behind it. The cuts are in sequence, in the span of a few seconds, so unless he's the fastest dresser in the world, there's no way he got that on, off and on :p

Back