rock in rio censored piece

elhefe

Trooper
lately i downloaded from a site a part of the gig (between 2 minutes & blood brothers) in which bruce starts to blame britney spears and other people (unfortunately,i can´t find that download page now)
why wasn´t that part included on the album and dvd as it is really cool?

I think that Steve found it very boring and even too much agressive. Anyway I don´t like that either.

I mean, I don´t hate that, but that thing for me, in the way it was said, means nothing...

It's pretty accepted that the rants that Bruce came up with during the Brave New World tour were very vulgar and inflammatory. Although Bruce is known for saying "fuck" and "shit" in his normal rants, they're usually fairly intelligent. Sadly, he chose to just be a wanker during the BNW tour.

Iron Maiden's never needed to go down to vulgarity to sell their albums (considering that beyond hell and damn the only swear word on any studio album is 'shit', in Holy Smoke) and there's no reason they should have to put that extreme vulgarity on their live albums either.

yeah i know that fact and as bruce is a wise man he shouldnt say all that
but the fact im talking about is that theyve censored part of a concert and fans cant get the whole thing

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Aug 13 2004, 12:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Aug 13 2004, 12:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Sadly, he chose to just be a wanker during the BNW tour.
[snapback]82839[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think this is a bit unfair. I'd agree that his personal attacks against Britney Spears and her ilk are sometimes in unusually bad taste. We all know she sucks, but we don't go to Maiden shows to hear Bruce remind us of it.

However, not all of Bruce's rants are like that. When I saw the BNW tour (with Halford and Queensryche opening), Bruce's rant was more along the lines of "We're bringing you a metal concert because metal is great and we know you want to see a show like this." He didn't go so far as insulting other artists, and I thought it was a great rant.

The point is that Bruce has good rants and bad rants. The Rio show happened to contain a bad rant, and I don't blame Steve for cutting it out. The question is, would Steve have left even a good rant in there?

I don't think so. RiR contains very few song intros or between-song patter. We all know Bruce likes to introduce many of the songs live, and I suspect that many of these intros were cut out. I think Steve was looking to cut out almost everything but the music. When I first saw RiR, I thought the omission of these intros was a significant loss. It takes something away from the live Maiden experience.

I also suspect Bruce altered his behavior that night to some extent, knowing that the show was being recorded. For example, he sings every word of every chorus. I've never seen him do that at an ordinary Maiden show. He usually sings every other line of the chorus and lets the crowd sing the rest.

Or at least that's what he always does here in Denver, though he may have been simply catching his breath because of the higher altitude here. Many physical performers have trouble playing Denver because of the altitude. On the BNW tour, Nicko wrote in his tour diary on the official site that Denver was a very tough town for him to play because of the thinner air up here. I suspect H/Dave/Janick can handle it just fine because they run around less on stage, but Bruce and Nicko and maybe even Steve would certainly feel the difference.

SMX, when I went to download RIR, I actually got a combination of bootlegs and album tracks. High quality bootlegs, mind you, but bootlegs. Bruce didn't introduce many songs, and as far as I can tell, the few rants he did do were equally as crappy as the Britney Spears one, and the bit about getting a picture taken of Maiden in front of the fans, which doesn't need to be on the album.

And you're mistaken in your belief that Bruce sang every chorus. What happened is Steve sliced his voice over the crowd noise. Listen closely to the chorus of "The Clansman". You can hear Bruce encouraging the crowd in the background, also while he's singing "Freedom!" This caused a lot of controversy among the fans who saw the concert and bought the album.

You can hear that on Fear Of The Dark as well, in the first chorus, before the song kicks off. I downloaded the gig which was ripped from some Brazilian TV show or something, and there you could clearly see and hear that Bruce let the crowd sing the fourth "Fear Of The Dark" in that chorus, before doing his usual "BWAHAHAHA". In the DVD, his voice has been sliced over at this point, and this has bothered me for a while. Why did he do that? It makes no sense at all.

Apparently Steve felt that at some points the crowd was indistinct or off beat, and you can hear that on FotD or The Clansman if you listen closely.

I was a bit bothered by hearing Bruce sing the fourth "fear of the dark", but I don't mind that very much. Having good but largely medicore audio equipment, I seldom notice things as you described it anyway.
I'm glad Steve edited out those rants though. I really don't need to hear that kind of stuff. I don't mind the occasional swearword, as I use it myself too (though not in normal face-to-face conversations), but what Bruce was doing there was simply needless. There was a thread here a while ago on this same topic where I posted my opinion on that.

I hadn't noticed that Bruce's performance was doctored in that way. Guess I was too busy banging my head to pick out small details. I'll listen for that next time.

But I stand by my statement that Bruce's rants etc. from RiR are nothing like I've ever seen him do here in the States. Perhaps the Maiden shows I've been to were unusual, but that's what I've seen.

According to the Commentary and the Europeans who saw the tour, he was quite vulgar.

But the GME...TID tour was much better.

Bruce: "MTV has discovered Iron Maiden! Oh thank God. Do we give a shit?"
Crowd: "NO!"

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Aug 15 2004, 02:13 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Aug 15 2004, 02:13 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I stand by my statement that Bruce's rants etc. from RiR are nothing like I've ever seen him do here in the States. Perhaps the Maiden shows I've been to were unusual, but that's what I've seen.
[snapback]82965[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Apparently, Bruce was not so rude in the UK either. I suppose that his over-use of the word "fuck" in every sentence was to get a response from the non-English-speaking audiences who, quite sadly, do not understand much English except this particular word. I somehow see it as a cheap way to get the crowd screaming and this is not worthy of Maiden.

I don't like Bruce's repetitive swearing much either. An occasional swearword is alright but I'd prefer his rants to have the humour and energy of the eighties, or even the early nineties. Jokes about song titles, discussions of keyboards and radio broadcasts, poking at the camera crew and things like that are a lot funnier to listen to.

He still has some brilliant rants, but they aren't as frequent anymore. During the Brave New World tour few were something different than "metal is back" or something like that.

The Britney clip can be found [a href=\'http://www.firestormrock.co.uk/maidenfiles.htm\' target=\'_blank\']here[/a], by the way.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Aug 14 2004, 02:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Aug 14 2004, 02:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Apparently Steve felt that at some points the crowd was indistinct or off beat, and you can hear that on FotD or The Clansman if you listen closely.
[snapback]82923[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yeah, I noticed on Fear Of The Dark, but not The Clansman. I have to watch/listen to it over again a couple of times. I've kind of been playing FotD a few more times than all the other songs.

But anyway, that Britney Spears thing was just stupid. Seriously, how many times did he say the F-word there? I was a bit terrified when I heard the worst part there. Why is he being so aggressive? I've watched some videoes from the 80's, and I really enjoy how nice he is, thanking the fans for buying the albums and all that. But now, I feel kind of sad when he's acting like he did in Rio. Whatever happened to him?

listen 2 the sooty thing!

its gr8!Q [!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'd like the shows to have that humour and more laid-back approach that they had back in the 1980s. Touring every night must get dull so I suppose they did that for a laugh.

The crowd interaction tracks were good back in the 1980s, Running Free & Drifter always had about ten minutes of Bruce messing about before he really started getting the crowd going.

At a show in 1984 he spent about five minutes just talking to a bloke in the audience called Phil and during the interaction said "Left hand side! Right hand side! Phil!" and made loads of jokes about him! I'd like to see something like that now rather than sounding like a Finnish n00b's post on the IMBB.

It's also on hi-res digital download (and presumably the normal res digital download), so I wonder if they will leave it on it if they release the rumoured new digipack version of Rock in Rio

Back