Remember Tomorrow and what it is about

Paul Di'Anno stated in an interview that the lyrics of this song were inspired by his grandfather.

That was about my grandfather. I lost him in 1980, when I was on tour. He was a diabetic. They cut off his toe and his heel, then he lost his leg from the knee down, and he just sort of gave up. But the lyrics don’t relate to it, to be honest with you – just the words “remember tomorrow.” Because that is what he always used to say – that was his little catch phrase. “You never know what is going to happen, remember tomorrow, it might be a better day.” So I just kept it in, and that was it.

Paul is regarded as a bit of a liar, and, on this statement, he missed the timeline or he's making it up, 'cos the band recorded this song in 1979, so, although the title is a catchphrase from his grandpa, in 1980, the song was already set and sealed. These lyrics are what surrealism is for paintings; maybe it's a bunch of phrases that just came out on a poetic epiphany or there's a hidden meaning, unveiled, as in 'the all seeing eye flickers above us', might reference to some kind of ritual, where more than one people participates.

The beginnings of Iron Maiden are pretty obscure, to this day.

Last edited:
The band restarted recording the album on February/1980 (they started in 1979, with Doug Sampson, on drums), so Paul wasn't lying. :D

Anybody knows what the lyrics are about? I don't get it. Was asking this to myself ever since.
For ages people have said that the song is about Paul's grandpa which IS NOT TRUE. It is only the title of the song that was inspired by a thing that Paul's grandpa said.

The song is about letting everything go.

More information on the EDDIE MADE ME DO IT (THE BEAST ARISES 1973-1983) book which includes exclusive interviews with:
David Smith and Paul Sears (Influence/Gypsy’s Kiss), Steve Lazarus (Head of the Fanclub 1998-2019), Keith Wilfort (Head of the Fanclub 1979-1997), Dave “Lights” Beasley, Dennis Wilcock (Vocalist in Smiler and in Iron Maiden between 1976-1978), Barry “Thunderstick” Purkis (Drummer in Maiden between 1977-1978), Terry Warpram (Guitarist in Maiden 1977-1978), Neal Kay (famous DJ from the Soundhouse), Dennis Stratton (Guitarist of Iron Maiden 1980), Derek Riggs, Pippa Lang (reporter from Melody Maker, review editor of Metal Hammer from late 80’s and 90’s), Manu Da Silva (Ex-Roadie, Personal Friend of Steve Harris who went to take care of Eddie’s Bar between 1989-2005), the dance from The Number Of The Beast video, and finally, Andy Curran (co-lead vocalist and Bassist of Coney Hatch who supported Maiden on the World Piece Tour and became a personal friend of Harris. Besides facts confirmed by Doug Sampson, Paul Di'Anno, Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith.

Hard Cover edition: bit.ly/3FrYZKW
Paper Back edition: shorturl.at/izSTW

In 1980 Paul gave his first version of the "explanation", stating that the song is about giving up everything. Just that, which really explains nothing. At this point the fans will accept what he says but will fail to make any connections.
Some decades later he attached his grandfather story in the "giving up" explanation. I remember watching a video interview with him from 2002, and it's the earliest declaration about his grandfather I know of.
Yea, Paul says that only the title refers to his grandfather, not the lyrics, but I have my reasons to believe not even the title comes from his grandfather.

Back