Recording

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
I decided to start recording myself and right now I use audacity. I was wondering if there are any other programs for this that might be better (and free) tHANKS.

Edit: I  would also like to  know how to overdub.

Cool Edit Pro. Now, it is called Adobe Audition. But the previous and last edition before turning into AA is pretty good and I use it since 2008, I guess.

Jeffmetal said:
Cool Edit Pro. Now, it is called Adobe Audition. But the previous and last edition before turning into AA is pretty good and I use it since 2008, I guess.
I'll look at it. The biggest problems i have with Audacity are A) Acoustics and B) Recording with a distorted guitar it comes out really bad. Will I have these problems with AA?

Don Dokken said:
I'll look at it. The biggest problems i have with Audacity are A) Acoustics and B) Recording with a distorted guitar it comes out really bad. Will I have these problems with AA?
How do you record? It's far more likely it's something else that causes it and not your DAW.

Look into Reaper. It's free to try without any restrictions aside from a splash screen (so it's pretty much free) and it works a lot like professional DAWs

Yax said:
How do you record? It's far more likely it's something else that causes it and not your DAW.
I record with my laptop. I think it's the microphone. I'm gonna start to put some tuning cones (that's what I call them have no clue what he real name for them is) on my wall and move my amp further away from the laptop and see if anything changes. My room has too much reverb for some strange reason. I might also consider a better microphone (any suggestions?)

Don Dokken said:
I record with my laptop. I think it's the microphone. I'm gonna start to put some tuning cones (that's what I call them have no clue what he real name for them is) on my wall and move my amp further away from the laptop and see if anything changes. My room has too much reverb for some strange reason. I might also consider a better microphone (any suggestions?)
I assume you also use an external soundcard?

And do you have flutter echo in your room? You said your room is very reverberant. Flutter is a very fast burst of repetative reflections between the floor and the ceiling. I have it in my livingroom, and it's very destructive when it comes to recording.

As for the cones, a bookshelf with books randomly placed will also absorb sound.

Do you mic closely to the amp? As for microphones, a good old SM57 is a great choice for a cheap microphone. There's a reason why it's the most commonly used mic.

Comb filters are also the recording musician's worst enemy - You easily get it while attempting a stereo recording, but you're recording mono, right? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall my acoustics teacher (I'm a first year audio production student) said that interference might occur due to reflections anyway, even with one mic. Reflections are created which gets picked up by the mic later than the direct sound. The waves get out of phase with eachother (as you get both direct and reverberant sound) and frequencies cancel out eachother.

Yax said:
I assume you also use an external soundcard?
No I don't

Yax said:
And do you have flutter echo in your room? You said your room is very reverberant. Flutter is a very fast burst of repetative reflections between the floor and the ceiling. I have it in my livingroom, and it's very destructive when it comes to recording.
No. When I play my acoustic it sounds like i'm playing at the end of a hallway

Yax said:
As for the cones, a bookshelf with books randomly placed will also absorb sound.
I have a small bookshelf already. The cones would go on the ceiling.

Yax said:
Do you mic closely to the amp? As for microphones, a good old SM57 is a great choice for a cheap microphone. There's a reason why it's the most commonly used mic.
I did but I rearanged my amp and set it farther away and I will see if that helps. I will look into using a SM57

Yax said:
Comb filters are also the recording musician's worst enemy - You easily get it while attempting a stereo recording, but you're recording mono, right? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall my acoustics teacher (I'm a first year audio production student) said that interference might occur due to the wall close to the amp.

I'm recording stereo but I'm using about 3 or 4 guitar tracks moving one left one right, and 2 to the middle. Should I be recording mono?

just got reaper. It isn't free. I thought it was. Maybe I will buy it.

In that case, you desperately need an external soundcard. Integrated soundcards (as in, on the motherboard like in a laptop) are useless for recording. Extremely useless. Your microphone also has a 6.3/3.5 connector? Those mics won't do if you want a quality recording. For your situation I recommend getting a good soundcard and line the electric guitar, and then reamp is with software, like Amplitube and Guitar Rig 4 - Those softwares are fantastic. Especially Amplitube. That way you won't get any flutter echo, reverb, interference or anything.

Cones on the ceiling sounds good to me.

And by recording stereo, you mean you mic it with two microphones, right? You can get an overall stereo sound by panning several mono tracks, (I do that at home) but stereo recording is when you record with two or more microphones. Mono vs Stereo depends on the situation - "Gothenburg Metal" bands record stereo with two SM57's, one placed slightly more away from the amp. That's the contemporary technique. Or pretty much, not sure about the mic placement.
Anyways, Stereo micing in a room such as yours with your current equipment and situation seems a bit overkill to me. But to use several mono tracks to create a stereo effect is what I think you should do (or maybe that's what you're doing?).

To conclude though, I'm positive the best way for you to record a distorted guitar is through amp modelling, where you line the guitar to an external soundcard (the external soundcard thing is of extreme importance. As I said, the built in soundcard is useless for recording) and add the amp later digitally. Satriani lined his marshall heads and used modelled cabinets on his Professor Satchifunk... album.

Here's a vid of guitar rig and Amplitube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2CbUAi83U

By recording stereo I meant that audacity has a stereo/mono option. I choose stereo but apparently i'm doing mono. I think I will try amp modeling.

Keep in mind though, you will get massive noise if you use your integrated soundcard, so you have to get an external. Those integrated ones cost about 1$ to make. The sound quality you get is equivalent.

Turns out my amp has an input for recording. Im gonna try that right  now.

Cool. Is it a regular line out, or does it provide you with a speaker emulation, like in headphone out? If it only lines the preamp signal, try and find Guitar Rig 4 on the web and just add a speaker to the recorded track and fiddle about. Let us know how it works out.

well it sounds even worse in the amp, but it sounds awesome with my new arrangement. until I get a good mic this setup will work great.

I found a USB microphone in my basement. Now what?

Back