Record Store Day 2013

Oh thanks for the reminder! I always miss this. But not this time, there are some really cool releases on there.

I have gone the past 3 years, it is fun. It is a nice throwback hitting a record store with a good crowd and people hanging out talking about music. Depending on the store, you should get some free swag (samplers, bags, pins, 7" singles, etc) .. though not all do that.

That does sound fun and free swag is always awesome. Free 7" singles sound especially cool.

I have gone to 3 stores over the past 3 years (all in different cities, none where I live .. was travelling for work or vacation) ... the swag varied greatly from store to store .. one in Santa Rosa, CA was really cool, they gave away a ton of stuff, the one in Houston, TX gave away crap. For free, I really cannot complain ... just pointing out not to be disappointed if the free swag is not so good.

There are 3 nice record stores in Dallas about 1 mile away from one another, I'm going to hit my favorite one first and line up a bit early and maybe check out the other 2 while I am in the area.

Well I'll keep that in mind. I'm the sort of person who is happy to get anything for free so that won't be a problem. :D

As for hitting multiple stores, there are quite a few good ones out here but they're all on opposite ends of town so I probably won't be doing that. I wouldn't be surprised if they all have similar selections anyway.

A guy at the Santa Rosa store told me that they really do now know what they are getting until right before stuff comes in and how many copies they are getting. Last year, I wanted the Beyond Magnetic 10" record (which was really cool, a grey "machined" record with a sticker), the first store ran out quick, so I had to go a few miles away to get it. If there is something you really really want, I would get there early. The past few years, there have been decent sized lines before the store opened (40-ish people).

One problem with this has been people buying these up in bulk or the store keeping some back to eBay. Supposedly stores on the site that are marked with signing the record store day pledge have promised not to permit this. Some of these records go for about double the price on eBay.

I'll definitely go early then. Most of the records that caught my eye were Jazz and I don't think those will run out too quickly (there were some Miles records still in stock for months after last year). But best to be safe I suppose.

I've seen those records overpriced quite a bit. One booth at a convention I went to had nothing but Record Store Day albums for double the price. Not cool.

Back