Rank the Iron Maiden albums game

Vote for the albums which should move up (see first post)

• Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Somewhere In Time

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • The Final Frontier

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Piece Of Mind

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Powerslave

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • A Matter Of Life And Death

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Brave New World

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • The Number Of The Beast

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Iron Maiden

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Killers

• The X Factor

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Virtual XI

• Fear Of The Dark

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • No Prayer For The Dying

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • The above order is correct

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Here's the idea: you see the list of albums above, in the poll. We want to change it so the best albums are on top, and the albums are ranked from best to worst.

So with your 3 votes, you should vote for an album which should move up in the list. For example, I like BNW, so I'll vote for BNW to move up.

The rounds are not of fixed length. Anytime I check in here and we've got 10 voters, I'll change the list and reset the poll.

When I end the round, these songs will move up the list:
The song(s) with the most votes, and any song with more than half of that number.
So if the winner has 6 votes, any song with 4 or 5 votes also moves up. If the winner has 10 votes, a song needs 6 votes to move up.

If "the above order is correct" ever wins, the game is over. (I suspect that will never happen. I may be creating a monster.)

So I vote to move up my favorite albums: Number, Piece, BNW

The poll has been reset! Seventh Son, Piece Of Mind and Brave New World moved up.

Vote again for your favorite albums!

Powerslave looks too low. So I vote: Piece, Powerslave, Brave New World

SinisterMinisterX said:
The poll has been reset! Seventh Son, Piece Of Mind and Brave New World moved up.

Vote again for your favorite albums!

Powerslave looks too low. So I vote: Piece, Powerslave, Brave New World
Same, except I replace BNW with TFF. Might be a bit too early to do that I suppose since it's a new album... but I'll do it anyways.

Brave New World is my favorite Iron Maiden album. AMOLAD 2nd, and then Dance of Death 3rd. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but my favorite album of all time is Bruce's solo album - The Chemical Wedding. In my opinion it seems like Bruce' voice was at his prime around 1998-2000 for Chemical Wedding and Brave New World.

The poll is reset again!
Seventh Son, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and The Final Frontier moved up.

Vote again for the albums you think should move up the list.

I'm going to vote for some reunion albums. They deserve better than the bottom spots.
Brave New World, Dance Of Death, AMOLAD
The Rules!

One thing I learned from running the Survivor games: the exact rules for forum games like this tend to evolve for a while in the early going. It's rare you get good rules on the first try. So just to document the effort, here's the complete rules. (This might also help you decide how to vote, if you seek a specific result.)

I check this thread a few times per day. Anytime we have 10 or more voters, I end the round.

Divide the number of votes for the winning album in half. Any album with more votes than that number moves up. The amount they move up depends on how many votes they have. Songs with the minimum votes needed move up one rank. If a song has more votes, it moves up the same additional number of ranks.

Example, from last round: TFF won with 9 votes. Minimum to move up was 5, worth moving up 1 rank. TFF's 9 = 5+4, so TFF moves up 1+4 = 5 ranks.

I haven't looked into all the math behind this, but I think the order the songs are processed is significant. So, the list is processed from the highest ranked song to the lowest, moving each up in turn.

The interesting question to watch is this: will the list converge to some consensus ranking that sees no significant change? For example, will Powerslave get to the top 3, and then shift around a bit, but stay in that top 3? Or will there be constant fluctuation, with results seeming random? The convergence seems likely to me, and the second question is how many rounds it will take to get there.

Back