Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Taker

Cannon Fodder
I've posted on another thread how most power ballads leave me praying to be struck deaf... Love to Love is an exception for a couple of reasons...

1. The second guitar solo qualifies as my favourite guitar solo of all time... by anyone. Why Herr Schenker's name is not mentioned in the same breath as Page, Blackmore, Iommi, etc. is criminal. The man is simply a phenom... and this solo is ear - melting.
2. A young Taker of over 30 years ago lost his virginity to the strains of this very song... I seem to recall the whole process took about as long as the duration of the tune (She knew what she was doing... I didn't) :lol:

Fantastic tune... great memories... 10/10

I always thought that this song is a little bit messy. It starts boring, then gets good, then gets boring, then gets good, then gets boring again. 6/10.

Not sure I buy that story Taker
Pretty long song for the first time.  ;)

I like this song but it falls short of the cult-classic status it has earned.
The keyboard intro riff is great, the build of the intro is great, the mood is great and Schenker is always great (when he's not completely whacked out on something).
But the melody has never quite done it for me and it doesn't sustain my interest the way a great song should.
Seven.

9... mckindog is right. It builds up in such a great way, I love that section, but never quite hits the mark on the vocals.

Schenker-era UFO rules, and this is one of my favorite UFO songs.  The keyboard riff is great, lots of interesting mood changes, and I like the chorus.  One of the great power ballads.  8/10 

P.S.  Too many of today's younger hard rock fans don't know UFO.  (Jupz, this means you.)  It's a crime.  Give Strangers in the Night as a gift to all your friends -- including yourself if you don't already have it, and revel in its glory.     

My dad has one of their albums, but I've never listened to them. I'll give it a shot! :D

When I first heard the solo of this song, I was stunned. So stunned that it turned me into an UFO fan immediately. Still, somehow the rest of the song doesn't quite match it. The intro is pretty random and the rest is, well, your standard love ballad. It's not bad - how can it be - but there's so many better UFO songs. The solo, on the other hand, is divine. Just a tad too short and ends very abruptly.

8/10.

Not that impressed, sorry guys. Too sweet for my ears I'm afraid. And I have heard quite a number of more impressive solos (at least fitting to my taste that is).

Some musical moments (in the 3/4 rhythms) sound like inspiration for Blood Brothers to me.

mckindog said:
Not sure I buy that story Taker
Pretty long song for the first time.  ;)
I think that included the driving time to the parking lot where the act took place :lol: I was a true romantic...

Majestic as this track is, it's not the best UFO song. It is from a great album, though. 8/10

From the perspective of the song's composition there is a lot packed into it, I really like the pace of the song, the build up and intensity... and it is a very intense song, at times it feels like it is gonna reach bursting point, a wonderful song, 9/10. 

Ah, what a song! One of UFO's best, from the majestic Lights Out. Paul Raymond's intro is hauntingly beautiful, before Schenker follows. I always found Mr. Mogg's singing in this song oh so emotional (although lyrics are a bit mystery!). The solos - again typically of Schenker during this period - defies description, especially the final one; almost fills like the he's gonna bust apart in the seams. Brilliant, just bloody brilliant; a 9/10 for me.

Interestingly, i always listen to the Strangers in the Night Version (Those rock fans who don't have it, please get it - it's the Rosetta Stone of live guitar playing), where the bridge after the middle solo is just spine-tingling!

Back