Votes: 2 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Taker

Cannon Fodder
I guess I'm up again... I'll make sure to refrain from being first poster for awhile. Anyway...

This is where it all really began for me. KISS Alive was my first real rock n roll album. A buddy from junior high school impressed me with his drumkit and a bedroom that was floor to ceiling KISS, and I became a devoted disciple. I would listen to Alive in my bedroom on a cheap ass plastic turntable (it was the 70's and I was in grade 7). In particular, I would play She...over and over and over. Ace Frehley walked on water in my eyes. To this day, I love this fucking song. It has been a constant in my life for many years. Ace might not be as blindingly fast as many guitarists, but he remains one of my all time favourites.

She is was and always will be a 10 for me. 

First off, I give the next song to the person who posts after me.

I'm a big kiss fan. they were my first love, and there have bene days when I did nothing but watch Kissology dvds all day. She, however, is a track I could never get into. It has a great riff, but after that it doesn't do anything for me. It is the song off the debut that I can't come to like. Ace is a great guitarist though, he might not have speed but he has something many fast players don't have. Soul. 6/10

There are better early Kiss songs ... Black Diamond and Parasite for example, but She is a good one  8/10

God help me, I've tried to like Kiss.  I really have.  But I can't.  I just can't.  I thought they were cool when I was 10.  Now, I just can't stand them.  But, there are a couple early Kiss songs I don't hate.  "She" is one of them.  5/10

I do not dislike Kiss but I'd say this is seriously not the song to introduce people to Kiss.

Detroit Rock City
God of Thunder
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Hotter than Hell
The list with strong songs goes on and on...

Forostar said:
I'd say this is seriously not the song to introduce people to Kiss.
Don't listen to Uncle Forostar, kiddies, he knows not of what he speaks. Take it from someone who was actually there and lived through the era when KISS were godlike: "She" is one of the band's most classic tunes, and is cited by many guitarists as an original inspiration to play. Ask Mike McCready from Pearl Jam, who rips out an almost exact copy of Ace's solo from "She" on the Pearl Jam song "Alive". Check it out.

Anyone who was listening to KISS around 1976 would tell you that this was/is one of their greats... were you born yet Forostar?

First Kiss album I bought was Alive II when it came out, then bought the rest ... Alive I and Alive II are good starters, then Hotter Than Hell, then Ace's 78 solo album are all pretty stellar.

bearfan said:
There are better early Kiss songs ... Black Diamond and Parasite for example, but She is a good one   8/10
I love Parasite! It's kind of underated though.

Got way more interesting shit going on than anything the band ever did after the make-up came off.
I know its classic for the hardcore fans, but I always thought the composition itself was kinda meh.

I personally prefer what they did with the makeup off...

Really?
To me they turned into a singles band.
Most of each album post make-up is just filler.

Mosh said:
I love Parasite! It's kind of underated though.

On youtube, check out some of the videos from Ace Frehley's solo shows over the past 3 or so years, his versions of Deuce, Parasite, Cold Gin, Strange Ways, and other "vintage" Kiss songs are great, he really plays them with a more raw edge than Kiss does any more (or did with Ace during the reunion).

Oh yea I've seen those. Ace's solo work is awesome.
mckindog said:
Really?
To me they turned into a singles band.
Most of each album post make-up is just filler.
Well, Lick it Up was pretty good. Some of the stuff in the late 80's did have filler. But I'd pick a lot of the strong material on those albums over much of the albums up to Dynasty. I thought that was when they're music got pretty good. Revenge is my favorite KISS album, that one is great. It's been awhile since I've listened to Carnival Of Souls but it has its strong points. Hot In The Shade has some great material. The only 70's albums I really liked were Hotter than Hell, Dynasty, and Rock and Roll Over. Everything else from that era I hardly ever listen to.

Ace is playing hs entire 78 solo live in the UK sometime soon, forgot the date, but that would be a great show to see.

Lick it up is good, but Animalize, Asylum, Crazy Nights (horrible album) and Hot in the Shade do not do much for me.  Revenge was a good album though.

I don't have all those albums but Asylum was pretty good on its strong songs. But the weak stuff was really bad. But I feel the same for the 70's KISS albums too.

Back