Random Song: Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is Dreamer Deceiver ?

Votes: 11 57.9%

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Flash

Dennis Wilcock did 9/11
Ah, what a beautiful song. It's one of my ten favorite Judas Priest songs and for me their second greatest ballad. (After Beyond the Realms of Death) Fantastic vocal performance, one of Rob's best, he gives the song the edge. Both high pitched and low pitched vocals are perfect and the solo is one of Priest's best.

10/10 for sure.

This song is perhaps the most atmospheric song Priest ever made. The progression in Halford's singing from the calm ballad-style vocals in the beginning, to the high-pitched screams towards the end, is truly goosebump-inducing. Beautiful guitar solo as well. 9/10 and not far from a 10.

I find that 'Dreamer Deceiver' is but the prologue to 'Deceiver', which is the real highlight of the 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' album.

Prologue is wrong, in my opinion. The song stands firmly on its own. However, I usually listen to the two together, because together they are stronger. The two together earn a 10.

Still I think the opening song is the highlight of the album :innocent:

Clearly Priest’s most light-up-a-fat-one-and-gaze-at-the-night-sky moment.
The singing is ethereal as already mentioned, but that solo is an emotional thing of beauty as well.
To me DD/D is one song because I rarely listen to one without the other.
This morning this one feels like a nine.

This is a great song. It's just a great one to listen to while relaxing. One of the highlights of the album, but it isn't complete without Deceiver. So it gets a 9 without it. With Deceiver, it's an easy 10.

Finally a song I'm familiar with and by an artist I care to listen too (note I fully intend to further my appreciation of Dream Theatre beyond Train of Thought, but that's in the future).

I gave this a good solid 9. The first two Priest albums are chock full of fantastic songs and I would be hard pressed to pick any of them out. This one, however, does stick out (agreed with EW here, it stands on it's own merit). I also agree with Flash here, Halford is on fire on this one.

If I was to criticize anything it would be the slightly over-polished production which seemed to be rife on early Priest albums. Which is why I can't give it a 10.

One of the highlights of Sad Wings of Destiny.

Coincidentely (or not ;) ) I mentioned it recently to promote Halford in the vocalist survivor, together with Here Come the Tears which I find better.

Forostar said:
I'm afraid some people here might not seem to recognize the qualities of Halford.

He did more than Breaking the Law and You've Got Another Thing Coming, you know?
People should dive into Priest seventies era and find out that he has been immensely versatile.

Dark, high, low, hard, soft, amazing range (biggest range of all hard rock singers), power and emotion. And the lyrics went deeper than the rock-and-party-all-night subjects of the eighties singles.

Take e.g. Here Come the Tears (both low and high vocals are amazing).

Also, I think his sharp edge and great timing (next to the screaming) was of vital importance for Priest's success.

By the way, am I the only one who thought of Mercury when hearing the beginning of this beautiful Priest ballad?    (and Sting briefly @ 2:21 -> "said in the cosmos") :)

Here's an officially released live version. Rob's voice is a bit loud in the mix, but still fun to watch.
http://youtu.be/GUQcPnjlvLY

At that time, Tipton was still developing as a lead guitarist, significantly. Downing did most works on the first two albums, but this song was for Tipton. He really came nearer to K.K. with the next album (great build-up on e.g. Here Come the Tears), but Stained Class with Beyond the Realms of Death(!) certainly settled matters. Tipton certainly improved a great deal in between 1974-1978.

Back