Queensryche & Geoff Tate

For anyone interested, lead credits for EP:

QOTR- Chris
Nightrider- Chris/Michael
Blinded- Michael/dual harmony/Chris
LWB- Chris

I wish Chris would join the band again, but that will never happen. I know a source pretty close to him, he says that Chris got out of the band mainly due to his fathers advice (the band wasn’t doing to well financially) I think he’s a pilot still, he’s also invested in many other ventures in Seattle.

As soon as Degarmo quit the band was done.

There were some good moments on the Geoff only led version but very hit and miss.

Todd is a good fit but brings nothing to the table from a creative standpoint. The two albums wth him sound so generic. I totally get why Tate brought in outside writers now.

I think it’s pretty disingenuous how they won’t reveal why Scott R has left the band or annonce it officially, he’s been gone about 2 years now and plays nothing on the upcoming album.

His departure is most likely being kept a secret because that leaves only 2 original members and leaves serious questions about the ownership of the QR name...

Ya, that is a mystery as far as Scott goes. I personally loved their last 2 albums a lot and can't wait to hear their next release. Also, the reason Tate brought in outside writers is because the rest of the band didn't want to make Mindcrime 2.

Ya, that is a mystery as far as Scott goes. I personally loved their last 2 albums a lot and can't wait to hear their next release. Also, the reason Tate brought in outside writers is because the rest of the band didn't want to make Mindcrime 2.
I'm sure most people didn't want to hear Mindcrime 2. The Hands was quite good though.

As soon as Degarmo quit the band was done.

There were some good moments on the Geoff only led version but very hit and miss.

Todd is a good fit but brings nothing to the table from a creative standpoint. The two albums wth him sound so generic. I totally get why Tate brought in outside writers now.

I think it’s pretty disingenuous how they won’t reveal why Scott R has left the band or annonce it officially, he’s been gone about 2 years now and plays nothing on the upcoming album.

His departure is most likely being kept a secret because that leaves only 2 original members and leaves serious questions about the ownership of the QR name...

Thank goodness I caught them live in late 2015 with Scott on drums, fantastic show - played several songs from their masterpiece (The Warning)

I'm surprised Def Leppard and Journey still do well.

Slowdance music - the generation that's just a little bit older than me remembers slow dancing to their songs and has fond memories of Journey and DL songs with their friends partying and puppy love-ing.

Barring their 1990-1993 era, Queensryche were always loner/lone wolf music.

I wish Chris would join the band again, but that will never happen. I know a source pretty close to him, he says that Chris got out of the band mainly due to his fathers advice (the band wasn’t doing to well financially) I think he’s a pilot still, he’s also invested in many other ventures in Seattle.
Nowadays, any band needs to tour to make money, and I guess he's over it. Besides, hypothetically, I always wonder what would have happened to QR if he had released HITNF as a solo album (an album which is closer to The Rue and Spys4Darwin than to Operation: Mindcrime or the older albums - a mostly excellent album though).

Last edited:
I think Queensryche is a forgotten Metal band. They were amazing up until Promised Land. I’m not dissing Promised Land, it’s still a good album but they never had any major success after Empire.

I was hoping with them kicking out Tate that they could rebound and capture a new audience but I don’t think that’s happened. I’ve seen them twice and both times I’m sure I was the youngest person there. (I’m 20 now) The average age at a QR show is probably 50. Maiden and Metallica have definitely captured the youth. QR has not and I doubt they ever will. Maybe the new album will be good, maybe it won’t. I’ve kind of lost my hopes for this band.

I definitely can't wait to hear the new album and based on the last 2, I'm sure it will be great. As far as gaining more of an audience, they'll never get beyond where they're at now and will always be a nostalgia club act who releases new material once in a while.

As far as gaining more of an audience, they'll never get beyond where they're at now and will always be a nostalgia club act who releases new material once in a while.
Sadly you're right. They played Guardian from the newest album at the last show and I felt like I was the only one who knew the lyrics.It got such a poor crowd reception. Everyone who goes to the shows are just there for the older material. I'm starting to wonder if becoming a cabaret act would be the best course for them. It could help bring in some new fans to go out and play Mindcrime in full with a larger stage setup.

I really want to see this band grow, but I can't help but feel a little sad going to a QR show seeing what they've become.

he says that Chris got out of the band mainly due to his fathers advice (the band wasn’t doing to well financially).
If true I find that pathetic. Can you imagine Steve Harris listening to someone else saying "Hey your albums sell less good, leave that bunch" and then leave? No way. You soldier on, and continue because you love it. I have the greatest respect for DeGarmo's contribution but this is sad and disappointing. Earned enough money with the band to continue. He probably lacked passion for some reason.

I'm starting to wonder if becoming a cabaret act would be the best course for them.
Been there, done that. :D
39a2fffbbafb4220e4573fa2c3a8193b.jpg
The cabaret tour was committed in 2009-2010 and largely contributed to the split.
It could help bring in some new fans to go out and play Mindcrime in full with a larger stage setup.
They already released a live album containing both Mindcrimes. It is called Mindcrime at the Moore (2007). Now, QR will never play the full O:M album in a row ever again since part of the court agreement following the split (and Tate letting go of the name "Queensrÿche") involved giving to him only the right to perform the full album. Which he did from 2016 to early 2018 I think.

And just in case you haven't seen it yet (but I doubt it), watch Operation: Livecrime (1991).

Back