Queensryche & Geoff Tate

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
Finally, Tate is singing really good and melodic on something that sounds great and like old Queensryche! You gotta check this out for sure!

Last edited:
They sound a lot alike. Lets hope he doesn't have a similar psyche to Geoff Tate. >.>

He kind of has a touch of modern Geoff in his voice too. In a good way.

I'll have to listen to this. I've always felt that they just weren't the same when Chris DeGarmo left...with out him, I still think they are just another band. But I'll give it a shot.

The rhythm section rocks, Wilton is a solid metal guitarist and Tate was the face and the talent.
But Degarmo was the soul of the band. No vision without him.
Surprised they held it together this long.

I will check this out. I like the guys voice and I expect a return to a metal sound.
But I doubt it will be anything special.
It always comes back to the songs.

Tate's solo act coming my way soon. I don't think I'll be wasting my money.

RISING WEST, the new band featuring Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Parker Lundgren of QUEENSRŸCHE, along with powerhouse vocalist Todd La Torre of CRIMSON GLORY, made its live debut last night (Friday, June 8) at the Hard Rock Café in Seattle, Washington. The band performed rare and classic hits from the first five QUEENSRŸCHE albums — from the 1983 EP through 1990's "Empire" — as well as a cover version of the IRON MAIDEN staple "Wrathchild".

RISING WEST's setlist was as follows:

01. Queen Of The Reich
02. Speak
03. Walk In The Shadows
04. En Force
05. Child Of Fire
06. The Whisper
07. Warning
08. The Needle Lies
09. Take Hold Of The Flame
10. Prophecy
11. My Empty Room
12. Eyes Of A Stranger

Encore:

13. Wrathchild (IRON MAIDEN cover)
14. Roads To Madness

Source: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175195
That would have been so amazing to see! Wish I could have been there!

Last concert with Geoff Tate EVER. Check out the dramatic exit near the end of the last song (Eyes Of A Stranger) :p

It comes as such a relief. I feel like we've been watching a band not only die slowly and horribly but then have their corpse be pissed on.

It seems I'm the only one really disappointed. I'd like to see them work it out, get back Chris DeGarmo, and try to make a brilliant record for once. This may seem messed up, but Geoff Tate and Chris DeGarmo were the only people I cared about in the band. I always saw Queensryche as Geoff Tate and Chris DeGarmo. When DeGarmo left, half the band was missing. And now, I just can't see the band as Queensryche anymore.

It's a bit like Velvet Revolver. It has most of the members of the band, but it doesn't have the two main songwriters, the two people who personified the band.

I'll still give the band a fair shake like how I gave Velvet Revolver a fair shake, but I can't see them as the same band whether what I'm saying is logical or not.

I get that Geoff was being a total pain in the ass (didn't he wield a knife at them or some shit? and among other things?), but regardless, I would've liked to see them just push forward, try a different direction, try to work stuff out with DeGarmo, etc. I also get that Geoff's voice has massively deteriorated and Todd's in better shape vocally. But I don't know. It just feels wrong to me to have Queensryche without Geoff or DeGarmo. In my mind, the band is totally different now. Whether it's for better or for worse, I don't know yet, but Queensryche is now dead to me. I'd rather just call them Rising West even if is a dumb name. :smartarse:

Well first of all, Geoff sounded awful in that video. Worse than I expected. I truly didn't expect him to be bad, decent at least. Makes me even happier to see them get a new singer.

I will definitely try and see Queensryche next time they are in town, this lineup combined with songs from the classic albums sounds like a great show. I'm interested to hear a new album. It's great that Tate isn't there, the bad influences that caused train wrecks like Dedicated to Chaos and Mindcrime II should be gone now. But there is still no De Garmo, so I'm not completely sold on this band making good music again. But hopefully with the early albums being the influence, it will work.

Geoff was great in his prime, one of the best in the metal scene. But now he is a joke. His voice sucks, his stage presence is awful, he looks like a fool, and cares more about his wine than putting out music. He doesn't belong in Queensryche anymore, and any way you slice it, getting rid of him was a step in the right direction.

There's only one way we can determine if this is a good direction for Queensryche or not: wait for the next album and tour.

Back