Queensryche & Geoff Tate

I would also like to add, I wish they would have tried some more experimentation and recorded some longer songs. Unfortunately the longest song on this album came out too long and dull. 'Condition Human' ended up being a great song. They're supposed to be progressive metal, why not experiment more??
I don't consider them to be that progressive. Most of their songs are your typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solos-ending chorus style. For me, the only songs that have a progressive feel to them are the longer ones like Roads To Madness, Suite Sister Mary, Promised Land, and Condition Human.

Since I’ve been listening to Condition Hüman and The Verdict a lot lately, I decided to go back and give the 2013 self-titled album another spin. Unfortunately, it’s just as bland as I had (not) remembered. None of it’s bad, per se, but after listening to it again I swear I can’t remember a single thing about it other than a few bits of “Where Dreams Go To Die”...

Been listening to The Verdict a lot lately so I went ahead and ordered the S/T and Condition Human discs.

I've spent the last week listening to 'The Verdict'. Queensryche are not a band I have particularly familiar with. I tried to get into them a few times, buying the 'Promised Land' album, downloaded the self-titled EP plus a couple of other songs ('Empire' and 'Eyes of a Stranger') and I had a few listens of a Best Of on Spotify. I liked some of what I heard but I found Geoff Tate's vocals a bit grating on some songs on the compilation album. I agree with Travis that they're not that progressive. They mainly sound like a Classic Metal/Hard Rock band to me.

From listening to 'The Verdict' I can tell that Todd La Torre is basically Geoff Tate in disguise. The vocals are indistinguishable from each other. Todd La Torre is certainly a good singer but much of 'The Verdict' makes me think of him as a discount Myles Kennedy and that the songs would sound better if performed by Alter Bridge. My overall, er, verdict of 'The Verdict' is that it's a solid album but doesn't motivate me to listen to more Queensryche. I'm not sure if there are any standout songs. Perhaps 'Propaganda Fashion' but I won't be including it in any highlights of 2019.

I've spent the last week listening to 'The Verdict'. Queensryche are not a band I have particularly familiar with. I tried to get into them a few times, buying the 'Promised Land' album, downloaded the self-titled EP plus a couple of other songs ('Empire' and 'Eyes of a Stranger') and I had a few listens of a Best Of on Spotify. I liked some of what I heard but I found Geoff Tate's vocals a bit grating on some songs on the compilation album. I agree with Travis that they're not that progressive. They mainly sound like a Classic Metal/Hard Rock band to me.

From listening to 'The Verdict' I can tell that Todd La Torre is basically Geoff Tate in disguise. The vocals are indistinguishable from each other. Todd La Torre is certainly a good singer but much of 'The Verdict' makes me think of him as a discount Myles Kennedy and that the songs would sound better if performed by Alter Bridge. My overall, er, verdict of 'The Verdict' is that it's a solid album but doesn't motivate me to listen to more Queensryche. I'm not sure if there are any standout songs. Perhaps 'Propaganda Fashion' but I won't be including it in any highlights of 2019.
Have you listened to The Warning or Rage For Order?

Listen to those two albums, but first listen to Operation Mindcrime. It’s an essential. Promised Land is probably not the best place to start. The album is very progressive but echoes signs of early grunge. Rage & Warning are classics.

Back