Queensryche vs. Queensryche. Both bands have a new song from their upcoming albums. What's your fav?

What's your favorite?

• Redemption

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Cold

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
This isn't meant to be a game or anything. It's to find out which song members on here like the best.

Both bands have released a song from their upcoming albums so let's put them head to head and see which one members on here like the best.

Queensryche with Todd La Torre:

Queensryche with Geoff Tate:

My vote goes to QR with Todd. It sounds like the real, heavy metal, hard rocking QR that I know and love again! Geoff's isn't too bad actually, but it doesn't really sound like QR instrumentally. It would have been pretty good as a GT solo song.

Redemption, but it's much of a muchness. Neither song is brilliant in any regard although they aren't terrible either.

Both are uninteresting pop metal songs. Vocals on Redemption are uncanny valley for me, he sounds so much like Tate it's not funny.

F*CK. Both bands have autotuned choruses. Come on guys, we can't accept this as anything else as fake whining crap !

F*CK. Both bands have autotuned choruses. Come on guys, we can't accept this as anything else as fake whining crap !

Actually, Forostar, I don't think the vocal effects in Redemption are autotuned, but are probably some sort of phaser or flanger effect, which wouldn't be unlike what they did on Rage for Order. The official video put on YouTube by CenturyMedia is really compressed, so that might be why it sounds like it's been autotuned. Either way, there's still the 90 second teaser for the song that was released before the album was mixed and what-not, so you can hear there that Todd is a very capable singer (unlike modern Tate).

The Redemption chorus doesn't sound auto tuned per se. It sounds like there are artifacts of auto tune there - It sounds deliberate.
There are though a few notes here and there on the album that have been pitch corrected. Just slightly. That has though, become something of a standard - To tune everything to pitch perfect, to sort of "clean it up". But if you listen to older records, notes go sour every now and then. It's different with some sorts of pop music, because everything ahs to be perfect there. But somehow the industry has applied that to Metal as well (although, there are times that warrants auto tune. Like Five Finger Death Punch's "Lift me up", featuring Rob Halford. Halfords parts are spot on and untouched, but the band's vocalists singing during the chorus is very off and therefore corrected).

On the other hand though, a lot regarding production in general is very artifical, and modern Metal is very prominent in that aspect.

I much prefer Redemption. Even though the production seems very much sterile and "cold" for the Todd version, it still sounds much more refreshing than Tate's album.

Back