Psychological Questions (?)

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
Question one:
Consider the following scenario: band "A", still in the early stages of their career, release an album "B" that is widely appreciated in the metal scene (whatever that is). In fact, as the band's popularity increases and becomes known to more people, there is common agreement that album "B" is the defining moment for band "A" (or even metal subgenre "C", though that is not necessary.)
Now band "A" releases a new album "D" which is quite different from album "B". Many fans that like album "B" do not like "D", and prefer album "B" by far.
The question now is: why don't those fans simply not buy "D" (after all, this is the internet age - practically everybody has the opportunity to listen to an album before buying it) and enjoy spinning album "B" once in a while instead? Why do they insist on band "A" releasing a revamped version of "B" over and over again, since they have the perfect version of what they want recorded on "B"?

Question two:
Band "E" has been around for a considerable amount of time and released quite a few albums whose popularity is undebated among their fan base. More and more people buy band "E"'s albums, enabling band "E" to make a living off their music, getting more advantageous record contracts with labels, and become generally more professional. This also is to the fan's advantage, as the band can offer more professional products to those who buy their releases. Eventually, band "E" gets media coverage outside the usual metal media and attract the attention of people that cannot be called "metal fans" per se.
Now, fans who have been buying band "E"'s albums since their poorly produced debut "F" (Think along the lines of Carcass' Reek Of Putrefaction), turn away from band "E", accusing them of having sold out and having become commercial.
The question is: why do people mind so much who else is listening to the music they enjoy?

Yes, those questions are silly, I know. Just tell me what your view on the matter is, please. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

You DO have a troubled mind, don't you? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Yes that's right, I'm the nutcase! Ha, bloody ha. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"<_<\" border=\"0\" alt=\"dry.gif\" /]

Steady on, mate. I never intended to hurt your gr1m n3croph4gous feelings. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I actually enjoyed your post, although I'm not sure what I should answer. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Yeah, I was too busy being evil. What with the sacrifice of potatoes we have over here in the blasphemous inverted bogs when the forlorned invocations of the blashephemous congregations perpetuate their noctunal evil. You should pay a visit sometime! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Do you use virgin potatoes, and do you rip their eyes out first? I would come over, but I am myself quite busy already sacrificing onions...

[!--quoteo(post=129172:date=Feb 17 2006, 10:55 PM:name=Pineapple Hunter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Feb 17 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]129172[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm guessing that question two is based on Metallica?
[/quote]

Naaaaawwww [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129172:date=Feb 17 2006, 09:55 PM:name=Pineapple Hunter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Feb 17 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]129172[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm guessing that question two is based on Metallica?
[/quote]

Kill 'em All isn't THAT juvenile and noisy is it now? ::

[!--quoteo(post=129181:date=Feb 18 2006, 12:21 AM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 18 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]129181[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Kill 'em All isn't THAT juvenile and noisy is it now? ::
[/quote]

I love the album, but you have to admit that Hetfield just sounds like the drunken arsehole he was at that time [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129184:date=Feb 17 2006, 11:26 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 17 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]129184[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I love the album, but you have to admit that Hetfield just sounds like the drunken arsehole he was at that time [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Normally when things are analysed over time we put on "rose tinted spectacles" and judge events to be better than what they were. This has been the oppisite with you Perun [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] I don't think we can summarise this period Metallica's career as the "Drunken arsehole" stage. The band was creating some of the most innovative and ground breaking material in metal.

Pink Floyd produced great prog albums when experimenting with drugs, yet we do not call them "Stoned Hippy Dickheads" or something similar for doing this. The fact is, Metallica created something great with KEA and we shouldn't criticise their drinking binges as this contributed (IMO) to their success. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129188:date=Feb 18 2006, 12:31 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 18 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]129188[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Normally when things are analysed over time we put on "rose tinted spectacles" and judge events to be better than what they were. This has been the oppisite with you Perun [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] I don't think we can summarise this period Metallica's career as the "Drunken arsehole" stage. The band was creating some of the most innovative and ground breaking material in metal.
[/quote]

As I said, I love the album, and I never said it was bad Hetfield was a drunken arsehole at the time [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Indeed, maybe back in 1983 when thrash metal was just getting its act together it sounded like "juvenile noise" but each generation hopes to smash the barriers of the previous. Consider the genre of grindcore, back in 1987, grindcore legends Napalm Death raised the bar on chaotic brutality and speed with their debut album Scum. Now consider Australia's grindcore-techno death machine The Berzerker whose latest albums Dissimulate and World Of Lies(which has just been released in HMV recently, I hope to get a copy very soon) make Napalm Death's material sound like leftist hippie rock. ::

Oh, and for Hetfield's voice, well the lyrics were a pile of arse too! At least, compared to the lyrics they would write on their later albums (especially on ...And Justice For All, my personal favourite Metallica album [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /] )

[!--quoteo(post=129191:date=Feb 18 2006, 12:39 AM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 18 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]129191[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Consider the genre of grindcore,
[/quote]

No, that's not something I take into consideration.

Well, I know you don't anything in the vein of death metal, black metal or grindcore. What about doom metal? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129195:date=Feb 18 2006, 01:08 AM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 18 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]129195[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well, I know you don't anything in the vein of death metal, black metal or grindcore. What about doom metal? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Hmmm.... no [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] I'm very conservative when it comes to this. Metal is best when it's Heavy [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

So you're a "geeky metal purist" in which I stated the parameters in that other thread eh? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129214:date=Feb 18 2006, 12:47 PM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 18 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]129214[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
So you're a "geeky metal purist" in which I stated the parameters in that other thread eh? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Oh, no... I'm rather fond of Melodic Death Metal [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129328:date=Feb 20 2006, 08:55 AM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 20 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]129328[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Oh, no... I'm rather fond of Melodic Death Metal [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I was under the impression you hated in Flames....

Back