Production issues on Maiden albums

A

Anonymous

"Oh I haven't been here for a while..." [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Anyway, I've noticed that there were a lot of topics about how bad Dance of Death sounds, that it is too compressed and so on. I have to disagree: this has the best production sound since somewhere In Time. Since that, the production of the albums just isn't the best. And yes, altough the music on Seventh Son is genius, but I don't like that much the albums sound, the guitars have too much reverb for me. No prayer and especially Fear of have a very polished sound, but they sound more like a better produced '70's hard rock album, and not like a heavy metal album. I'm only talking about the production sound of the album, not the music. Compare - wich sounds better: Fear of the Dark, or Painkiller? Not to mention Blind Guardian's Somewhere Far Beyond, or the Black album, I think all of these sound clearer, heavier and more "metal". The X Factor had very modern bass/drum sound, but the guitars were too much in the background and muddy. Shame, cos with a great guitar sound it would have sounded fantastic. Virtual was also a big letdown, the guitar - and drumsound was horrible. I remember, when Bruce and Adrian came back, one of Bruce's wishes was to work with a real producer. Well, that made good changes; Brave New World sounded really good, Rock in Rio and Dance of Death sounds almost perfect, the last one only a bit muddy in places. Oh, I forget the eighties albums. They sound very good and modern, far better than other eighties heavy metal albums. Especially geniuos is the sound on Live After Death - of course, Maiden is way better live than in the studio.
Finally, what I wanted to say is that I'm happy with production of Kevin Shirley, and it would be good to have the old albums remastered and remixed.

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Disclaimer

I respect that Maiden have their own sound, and I wouldn't be happy if the next Maiden album would sound like Bruces Chemical wedding, but it would be good to have the next Maiden album good produced. Kevin Shirley can do that well, I hope, but the best would be to have Andy Sneap. Anyway, albums I think really good sound have production-wise, are: Nightfall in Middle Earth (Blind Guardian), Youthanasia (Megadeth), Masterplan (Masterplan), Dark Ride (Helloween), Once (Nightwish), Tenth Dimension (Blaze), S&M (Metallica - and yes, it's a symphonic album, but on the DVD you can separate the orchestra from the band, and the band sounds good!)[/span]

I think that [span style=\'color:blue\']7th son [/span]has the best sound...(best music,lyrics ....)

through the '80's you can hear the progress that Maiden made to their sound....

and finally they rich the higher point ...that is [span style=\'color:blue\']7th son[/span]....

[span style=\'color:blue\']7th son of a 7th son [/span]= [span style=\'color:red\'][span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']the Iron Maiden sound[/span][/span] [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-phantomas7+Jul 19 2004, 01:57 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(phantomas7 @ Jul 19 2004, 01:57 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I think that [span style=\'color:blue\']7th son [/span]has the best sound...(best music,lyrics ....)

through the '80's you can hear the progress that Maiden made to their sound....

and finally they rich the higher point ...that is [span style=\'color:blue\']7th son[/span]....

[span style=\'color:blue\']7th son of a 7th son [/span]= [span style=\'color:red\'][span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']the Iron Maiden sound[/span][/span] [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Wait a minute! I'm not talking about the music and the lyrics, I'm talking about the production sound of the albums. The way you hear the instruments mixed together. Got it? I've never said that I don't like the music and lyrics on Seventh Son, in fact, it's one of my favorites! I was talking about that I didn't like the production, the mix on it.

It's clear what you said..
I just mentioned that [span style=\'color:blue\']7th son [/span]has the best lyrics and music....I like (love) all the Maiden albums from Iron Maiden to Fear of the dark...

But in my opinion [span style=\'color:blue\']7th son [/span]has the best sound and mix...and..and..and...

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I guess we are OK[/span]

Back